Hidden entities still showing in GUI

A couple of weeks back I decided to switch from hass .io to hassbian. I now have my whole setup up and running again, with the small exception that hidden items are still present in the gui.

On hass this worked perfectly!

I have both tried to hide the entities by changing the hidden attribute on the config menu in the gui and programmatically in AppDaemon scripts, like:

self.set_state(entity_name, attributes = {"hidden": True})

None of these affects the GUI. Other attributes like friendly_name works as expected.

Has anyone experienced anything similar or have any clue of what can be wrong? As I said: this worked perfectly well on the hass .io setup.

hidden: True is an option to hide the entity using the old UI system. Thatā€™s the one that is now called the ā€œStates UIā€. The Lovelace UI (now the default UI) does not use this option.

1 Like

Ok, then it was my bad to tag this topic with Lovelace. I am apparently using the old GUI.

How do you know? Lovelace is the default now, so unless you have SPECIFICALLY gone into the dev-info page and set your device to use STATES, you are using Lovelace.

Ok, I assume then that Lovelace has been set as default GUI sometime in the last 2-3 months?! Anyway, I have not noticed any difference.

I guess I have to check this out.

Well, thereā€™s the difference with hidden: true! :wink:

Itā€™s interesting though - in this post it says that:
The customize section does not affect lovelace at all.

But it obviously still displays my friendly_names stated in customize.yaml.

FWIW, I now use Lovelaceā€™s entity-filter and conditional cards to selectively hide entities.

Iā€™m also using the entities card and it optionally letā€™s you override an entityā€™s name and its friendly_name. I believe several other cards provide the same functionality.

I bet if you look at the lovelace code, you will see the transition to lovelace included the friendly name.

One more thing, with the old States UI, if you indicated an entity is hidden, it would not appear anywhere in the UI. In Lovelace UI, any entities that you donā€™t place in the main UI are considered to be ā€œUnused entitiesā€ and can still be accessed in the UI.

Click the overflow menu in the upper right-hand corner (three vertical dots) and the menu will offer ā€œUnused entitiesā€. Click that and it will display a page containing all the ā€˜leftoversā€™.

1 Like

Now Iā€™ve gone in and set that my device should use the old States UI. Also did a reboot.

Unfortunately, no change. My entities are still being displayed.

Thoughā€¦ No use in putting any more effort in solving this, since my code is apparently to be considered deprecated from now on. I guess Iā€™ll have to start migrating to Lovelace.

Anyway, thanks for pointing me in the right direction! :slight_smile: