[HIDDEN INSTAL] Robot Vacuum Automatic Door System

Absolutely incredible. Super clean work, great write up, showed scripts as well… This deserves some kudos for sure. Also, may want to post this on reddit, would probably get a lot of good feedback!

2 Likes

Thank you! I appreciate it!
It is already on reddit, and you are right, it’s getting a lot of attention…I spent hours replying to comments

1 Like

I tweeted this post out the day you posted it. Add a link to the reddit thread and I’ll add it to my tweet thread.

1 Like

Thanks!
/r/homeassistant

1 Like

Great work, just ordered similar bits to have a crack at this myself :slight_smile:

I wanna know more about this!

3 Likes

That’s my holographic interface for Home Assistant and kitchen assistant

I like the idea and i was in the planning of building something similar. Only these days the new and improved vacuum cleaners are around the corner that have a bin disposal unit. Then i cannot place them underneath anymore. Also the wife says that if she needs to empty the bin this process would be ‘a handfull’ to get it out of its place in order to clean. But i still love the setup…

This is very impressive btw. So how do you empty the bin and fill the water reservoir?

Thank you, It comes into my office once a week and yells at me to empty the bin

Thank you, It comes into my office once a week and yells at me to empty the bin.

I keep the reservoir detached, and only install it when needed. The door can be operated by wifi (phone, PC, voice control, etc.) or by remote, so opening the door is very easy; installing the mop is just as easy since I don’t have to reach too far for it (5-10 cm from the door)

I wonder if Roborock S7 - Level up Your Cleaning with Sonic Mopping | Roborock US Official Site in the future, when it has a bin. That we can charge it under the kitchen, but when full it goes to the bin to empty it and back under the kitchen.

Theoretically, you can find a way to adapt it…
Depending on how big you house is and how/if the vacuum state reporting will change.

You can create an automation that will redirect the vacuum to a set of coordinates, near a bin, when state changes to ‘returning to dock’ with a timer condition (5 minutes or so) as a redundancy (so it won’t park itself near a bin after a small area clean-up) plus a location tracker (anyone home) condition.

If your home is big enough, you have pets, or for any reason it needs to be emptied more than once per cleaning cycle you can set a timer automation (after you estimate after how much time it needs to return to the automatic bin).

Depending on state reporting, you can do something similar with the water tank.

Such a solution kind of defeats the purpose of a self emptying bin…but it depends on what matters to you most - self emptying capability or having it hidden/integrated in furniture.

Probably the best way to do something like this, will be to have it installed under the cabinet that contains the trash can, and cut/adapt the furniture to be able to access the vacuum bin - that way you will have both bins in one cabinet.

yeah indeed that sounds like the best option, but how to empty the bin then when its inside the kitchen cabinet :slight_smile: either way for now you have the cool solution.

Finally my bits to do this are arriving from AliExpress! Any chance you can explain how the Tasmota flashing works? I’m guessing I can’t use this controller without it and I’ve never worked with Tasmota before. :slight_smile:

Also, what do I need to buy to be able to flash the board? Loads of options on the tasmota website.

Thanks for the idea.
I was looking to do exactly the same, but was not sure how to drive the door.
Copied most of your idea with the Linear Actuator, but used a different ESP relay module with ESPhome and HA + NodeRed integration. Vacuum is a Roborock S50 running ValetudoRE.
Mine drives to the bin after cleaning if the vacuum’s bin is full or is in for more than 10000 seconds while working.

Mounting the hinges and actuator on the underside of the cabinets was pain in the ass btw…

(Apparently the video is sped up by imgur. It is a little bit slower in real life)

Works awesome!

3 Likes

Amazing! Glad to hear this!

Mounting the hinges and actuator on the underside of the cabinets was pain in the ass btw…

I agree…been there, done that :rofl:

You can definitely use the board without Tasmota, using Tuya ecosystem/integration.

If you never flashed Tasmota, this is not the best board to start with…it’s a bit trickier then most boards since it has to be powered from the programmer board and the USB port.

To get starting with Tasmota or ESPhome I recomand watching DrZzs youtube channel. Great content, lots of examples … and a video is always better than forum talk.

Also, what do I need to buy to be able to flash the board? Loads of options on the tasmota website.

To flash a board I recommend a FT232BL Serial Adapter.
If you buy that you might as well get some jumpers to connect the board to the serial and a cheap soldering kit will be enough for a long time.

You need more info, don’t hesitate to ask.
Good luck with your project! Let us know how it works!

It only bloody works don’t it! :slight_smile: I used a sonoff integration and i’ve managed to do it LAN side without needing to flash it!

Built it all on a board today and its working great, now I just need to integrate it into my kitchen.

I’ve decided to build an enclosed garage that uses an interchangeable front, so if I ive move house I can just remove it in one piece and take it wtih me.

Learned a lot from this one, thanks for ya help, and the docs above really set me in the right direction and gave me the confidence to take a crack at it!

1 Like

Really glad to see it! Congratz!!!

How do you handle the issue of something blocking the door? I see that you have the opposite handled well by the Velcro hinge.