Hide logbook and history for user

Is there any update on this? I don’t need the grandparents who visit to watch the kids having a GPS map of all of our locations just so we can keep the heat on during the day when they’re here…

This is a major oversight.

1 Like

I hate to bump an old thread, and I really thought a lot about replying before I just did…

This is, for me, the biggest shortcoming of HA. I love the platform, love working with it, playing with it. But I cannot give it out to other family members to use it. Not only does it give out too much private info, like gps coordinates, but for example I use it to control heating, or measure power consumption on the freezer/fridges. So no way I’m letting kids use this, while I would not mind them playing with philips hue light colors.

6 Likes

Let’s give this a bump up

6 Likes

Does bumping actually work? Bumpety Bump!!
This is also an issue with me, my Partner is a technology lover, but at the same time a destructive force with something like this… I use the media module but not for main media, so I want to turn that off for users, History, Log book all need gone for users, and why can’t I “Turn Off” the default dashboard for a user, I have a whole custom dashboard just for users… but on the default one I can uncheck the users all I like in visibility but it still shows when you log in as said user.
Essentially I was expecting to be able to go into the user settings and have the option to turn off any ot these items for a non admin user!

3 Likes

also wanting this functionality.

1 Like

This needs to be figured out. I want to give access to a babysitter for after school and noticed that yes I can limit their access to a certain Lovelace card but they still have access to everything(logbooks, maps, history, etc…). This seems like a severe oversight in such a use case. I am a bit shocked knowing how technical this platform is. If there is a workaround please let me know:)

2 Likes

i want also to hide a few sidebars as all those in formations are dangerous/useless for other users

For anyone watching this thread This is What the Heck Month where the devs pay special attention to issues, feature requests etc. Please go to the What the Heck Post i just made and upvote it.

TL;DR: For all of October, we are opening up to report any issue, suggestion, or annoyance you have with Home Assistant [WTH] The month of 'What the Heck?!' 2022 - Home Assistant

3 Likes

There’s apparently another WTH that already has a lot of traction so go vote for that one as well.

2 Likes

Same here. It should absolutely be possible to control the per-user visibility of items other than dashboard elements - Energy, Map, Logbook, etc. What do we have to do to get focus on this?

1 Like

Don’t hold your breath, its clearly a much higher priority to dedicate an entire year to voice functionality than fix things like access control.

2 Likes

Not sure when it was added; but click and hold the dashboard icon and you can hide elements.

This is something the actual user has to do, to hide it from himself. It doesn’t prevent the user to access these pages.

I’ve been waiting patiently for this as well, by now we can set some dashboards to be admin only though:

require_admin: true

Also works for dashboards that are ‘UI Controlled’ instead of ‘YAML file’ under Settings > Dashboards

Unfortunately the ones I’m aiming to shield from normal users, being Energy, Logbook, History & Map are not there.

1 Like

For anyone who absolutely wants to restrict user access. For most non-tech users this should work without issues. For tech users they can circumvent your settings if they know how.

Login as the user. Then under the user profile do the following:

1. Always hide sidebar: enable
  2. Change the order and hide items from sidebar: EDIT
  3. Remove all sidebar items you want hidden
  4. Click DONE at the top to save your changes

did you verify on a new device/private browser window? It will show default settings, not what you have set up on the device you took the screenshots on.

You are absolutely correct it only applies to the browser you are on. For device independent control of what others can see there is only one name in the game (it does more than it says on the tin):

Use HACS to install this integration.

1 Like

This is really disappointing that we cannot hide logbook, history, map, energy… and on the other hand dashboards have visibility option where you can hide it from other users. I don’t understand what is so different in side menu and menu in header. It is very frustrating, it is not about security but more about privacy, why should I let someone see history of sensitive data and at the same time be limited to give them permission to turn the light on and off.

Kiosk-mode is a workaround solution to some extent but there are some issues with that approach, if you hide entire sidebar, how can user enter companion settings on Mobile device for example or notification?

I know this is a hobby project and people are focusing on other features but still I don’t see why this is so hard to implement as it is already partially there for dashboard pages.

1 Like

Was going to give my Nanny access but with the “Media” tab she has access to ALL my cameras… yeah no thanks. This issue is so silly.

Yes, I am also looking for ways to give guests a restricted view, control lighting and similar, nothing more.

I currently do this with a second Home Assistant instance and remote HA (HACS), but this is extremely annoying to manage, updating twice, maintaining dashboards on both sides… ect.

A good way to restrict entities would be really necessary.