Hide new quick search button?

Hi !
I’m looking for a way to hide the new quick search button in the top bar. I find it very usefull but i also have wall screens in kiosk mode and i don’t want everybody be able to have a quick access to that.
I know it’s a new functionality but i wish this could be available soon.
Thank you

1 Like

Put a little strip of electrical tape over it :upside_down_face:

1 Like

I too use the kiosk mode and I’m trying to figure out how to hide it. It defeats the purpose of kiosk mode.

1 Like

I also use home-assistant in a kiosk where the quick search functionality is very undesirable.

On a related note, HACS is complaining about the maykar/kiosk-mode front-end as it’s been archived to read only. Guess that means we can’t expect an update to hide the search icon from that developer. :frowning:

Uhm, if you hide the header the search button is hidden as well, no?

Yes but it’s still not possible without a custom component.
You also disable the page access :frowning:

I also think that this should be a standard feature but used the custom component for now.

You could solve that by adding buttons for navigating to the other views.
By doing so you gain more screensurface instead of having the header visible all the time.

I’d also like to be able to remove this.
kiosk_mode is now archived and doesn’t actually remove the top bar on all devices anyway (since the search was implemented).
Just been fighting for half a day attempting various 'hack’s to no avail. I’ve several dashboards that use custom nav or are just single page. The extra space taken up by the header bar (just to display the search icon) is a waste of real-estate on smaller screens and I don’t want non-admin users to have the ability to search for anything!

1 Like

Any luck finding an alternative to hide the search icon? I’ve manually aded kiosk_mode back in to HA (instead of HACS which I had before); but can’t get rid of the search icon…

I ended up removing completely and re-installing. Setting kiosk_mode then removed the search.

I was also looking at how it is removed within the minimalist theme - they are calling card_mod:

card-mod-root: |
    app-toolbar {
      display: none;
    }

I’ll look at that method when I have more time (probably not until kiosk_mode stops working again!)

I made my own fork and added in support to remove the search button. its not great but it works for me

Welcome any pull request fixing bugs

Thanks for doing this. Hope you keep it updated with the HA updates.

1 Like

any updates about that problem yet?

Any update yet? This was the only possible way to kind of have permissions within home assistant for entities. Now ever user gets access to basically everything.

Did someone get a way to disable the search button on top bar?

Yeah, the kiosk-mode in HACS works GitHub - NemesisRE/kiosk-mode: 🙈 Hides the Home Assistant header and/or sidebar

You can use ?hide_search in your URL. I’m on HA version 2023.7.1 and it seems to work for me. Hide sidebar seems more reliable than browser_mod as well.

1 Like