High CPU load

Hello!

I have noticed that CPU load becomes very high on my Raspberry Pi 3 after a while on 0.38.3. It is normally very low, but jumps to ~30% (95-105% in top). It never goes back - in the plot that is when I restarted hass. The web interface is still responsive, but I can’t turn on or off any devices.

I have tried to do a downgrade to 0.30.1, but no difference. I have installed hass in a virtual environment.
Also, I have moved to a mysql-database which speeds things up, but didn’t make a difference on the high load.

Another thing that I did was to install OpenCV and motion. Motion runs separately - the question below lists ffmpeg, but I have not used any camera in my configuration.

High CPU Usage on 0.30.2
High CPU load due to ffmpeg in HASS 0.32.1

Appreciate any help in troubleshooting this. Thanks!

If you SSH to the Pi and run top, what’s using the CPU?

hass is using 95-105 % of the CPU. The question is, what inside hass is using that much… I am trying to disable modules now to see if this helps.

If you get stuck, posting your (correctly formatted) config here will likely help others narrow things down.

Hi @martisak, I ran into a very similar situation. By stripping my config I found that the emulated_hue component is causing the high CPU load on my RPi. Did you find something similar?

Same here with HASS 39.0 on Ubuntu 16.04.
Is this a bug in emulated HUE or is there an explanation for the permanent high load?

I am experiencing the very same issue on Ubuntu 16.04. I’ve noticed that netdisco lib has been updated, perhaps this is could be causing the problem?

So far so good. Upgraded to 0.39.0 today.

I believe the noise is because I reactivated some modules. I have kept updater, discovery and device_tracker disabled for now. The updates seem to come more often as well.

How did you isolate the high load to the emulated_hue component?

I was going through each component one by one and noticed that disabling discovery did bring the load down, however disabling emulated_hue appears to have fixed it.

Interesting, disabling discovery fixed it for me, disabling emulated_hue did nothing.

For me the high CPU load is fixed in 39.2 (probably because: Fix discovery taking up all memory and cpu). @martisak: How is your situation now?

Still stable, discovery is disabled but so is also asuswrt device tracker.

I can confirm that everything has been fixed in 39.2 (netdisco was indeed causing problems)

1 Like

hallo!

sorry for reopen this thread.

just want to know what your average cpu load is guys.

on my raspberry 3 hass 0.86 i have 30-50%.

i have no exclusions in recorder. maybe the reason for the high load.

thx in advance