High Power Dimmer module / switch? (Zigbee, 500+W)

It’s rumored that dimmers with neutral handle 1000+ watts. (eg Recommended Zigbee in-wall switches, dimmers and roller shutter controllers for ZHA - #16 by konpon96 ) Unfortunately, that’s not true.

So far, the ONLY dimmer I’ve found that meets this is the Leviton DG6HD-1BW, rated at 600W for incandescent loads. And, I can’t get a clear answer on whether this is “with neutral” and thus acts as a gateway.

RIght now, I just want to properly dim our Christmas tree… if fully on it would use well over 500W, and that’s enough to cause a 300W normal dimmer to blink painfully. :frowning:

Any ideas most welcome, and/or experience with the above-mentioned Leviton.

Thanks

Just happened to stumble across this at the right time - I just bought one of these dimmers and have been testing it with some slim LED recessed lights. I’m not an expert in Zigbee, but from what my system reports it says the device type is a router, which I believe means it acts as a gateway.

Regarding the load though, I think you always want to plan for some decent headroom so that wattage would really be pushing it. I’m only using around 50w on mine now, but that will double as I install a second row of lights.

UPDATE:

Bought the DG6HD dimmer. Soooooo happy!

• It properly dims all the way to barely-visible
  • Can set minimum level so “on” always has meaning
  • Physical dimming available, along with LED’s that show current level
  • Works wonderfully with Zigbee / HA / etc
  • No hint of blinks etc.

Honestly, I believe the other dimmer simply isn’t up to the task. I’d recommend this one in a heartbeat.

I’ve not had time to measure the actual power usage at various levels. What I’ve read is that even though this uses fancy electronics (rather than dumping power/heat into a resistor) to lower the voltage to the device… it still does use some amount of extra power.

It’s been a few decades since dimmers typically save zero power. I do believe this is saving plenty of power. :joy:

For now, I’ve placed this plus an outlet in a box, and ran a 3-pin (grounded) power cord in as well. Plug into the wall, and I have a portable high quality dimmer box for any purpose.

:cowboy_hat_face:

1 Like