High processor use and temperature

I am running Home Assistant OS on

Dell OptiPlex 7050 Micro PC Core i7-7700T 3.6 GHz 32GB DDR4 1TB SSD

and i’ve started noticing the fan running like crazy! Please help me make sense of this. I have Terminal installed and have been trying other unix commands to no avail. Is this an actual terminal? is HAOS an actual version of unix? I’m sorry just confuzed

attached are the TOP and stats from system monitor

No, it is a minimal Linux OS designed to run a bunch of docker containers. While Linux was designed to resemble Unix, it is not actually Unix.

1 Like

top is showing 95% but none of the listed processes is even rounding up to 1%. Press 'p' and it should sort by processor usage.

done with no change to the order on the screen, the top refreshes with slightly different values but it’s all still 0%

Do you have the CPU speed integration installed?

If so remove it.

I don’t think so, I checked CPU Speed - Home Assistant and dont think it is. it’s not on my integration list, could it be a child installation of another integration? I do have system monitor System monitor - Home Assistant

Additional info from htop
Not seeing high total percentage any more but still don’t know whats use it all

I think i found the culprit
Screenshot 2024-03-28 at 3.02.47 PM

Created ticket on addon page Out of control CPU while using · Issue #800 · hassio-addons/addon-vscode · GitHub

That’s not an addon bug… VSCode is a CPU hog no matter how you run it. Always has been.

Try disabling the Home Assistant config helper extension in VSCode and see if that makes any difference.

Do people just turn it off when not in use then?

1 Like

-Attempting will update-

Updtate: my extensions doesn’t show any extenstions installed
Screen Shot 2024-03-30 at 2.20.09 PM

Add-ons I’m not using (but might) are turned off until needed. Including ESPHome, File-editor, Portainer, TasmoAdmin etc…

2 Likes

I don’t, and I’m nowhere near your CPU usage (4vcpus on a Intel Silver 4110)