Hikvision Intercom PoE

I was hoping to get lucky and benefit from the experience of others here. I’m designing the power/data cabling for my renovation, and I am considering a Hikvision Gen2 Intercom “vila” device (eg https://www.securitywholesalers.com.au/product/hikvision-ds-kv8113-wme1-gen2-intercom-1-button-villa-door-station-lan-wifi/) which supports PoE.

My original plan was to run a single ethernet to the location next to the door and wire it in since the PoE simplifies things and better compliments the rest of the planned automation.

The wiring diagrams are not all that clear, I was wondering if anyone here had direct experience with this (or similar) device and would know if a solenoid lock can be wired in naively and power directly from the device’s existing PoE source? I checked, there should be sufficient power budget to run both in parallel from a single PoE source…

If any one has confirmed it works out of the box already, then great. If it doesn’t, then I need to decide whether I can get away with a pass-through splitter (eg. https://www.tycononline.com/GigE-Splitter8023at-PoE-to-24V-30W-Out_p_376.html) so I only have to run a single cable. If so, is there any chance anyone here has tried it and could confirm for me?

If not, I’ll either run a second ethernet cable to the same location, and just use a stock standard splitter to pull out the power just so it can be wired into the lock, OR go with their 2-wire product, but that will mean installing totally separate cabling specifically for this purpose.

If i have to do the later, then it would be great to know while it’s just a line on a drawing, rather than discover this when I get it all hooked up.

Obviously I can ping the manufacturer, but I see a tonne of people playing around with these devices right here so I figured i’d give it a shot. Ultimately I’m planning to hook this all up to home assistant when the time comes

1 Like

hey @tallenharper, I have exactly the same setup in mind and curious if we can achieve the outcome.

Bump! If anybody is able to help here, would be very much appreciated.

I see two potential issues with this:

• Ethernet POE normally uses all 4 pairs. So, there is nothing available to wire something else (of course you could split some cables, nevertheless)
  • Ethernet POE is 48V when most locks than I have seen are either 12V or 24V
    So, I think, it is simpler and safer to use two cables. One for the POE et another one for the rest (lock,…).

Makes sense, thanks mate.

And as for picking up the button press from this intercom and having two way audio, I don’t think it is SIP, any ideas how we could get that up and running?

No clue how this is working. I had a look at the documentation. No indication on the protocol used. no API… It seems to be a (very) closed system. Personally, I would stay away from it, as it would be just guess work to integrate it into HA. Not sure it is even doable.
There are others options, doorbird, grandstream that are (at least partly) HA friendly.

Thanks @greengolfer, I think the grand stream or doorbird is the go. I came across your msgs in the doordroid thread.

How have you found your grandsteam since figuring out the setup? Do you have an electric strike as part of your setup?

The description of what I have done is here: SIP Doorbell, android tablet and HA integration
It works fine!!
Yes, I have an electric strike. I could have used the output for the grandstream, but I have used an arduino with a relay instead. I have two cables (!) running from my house to the gate. One for the POE to the Grandstream and the other one for the strike.

@tallenharper, did you buy this Hikvision intercom? Does it integrate well with HA? Does the camera support ONVIF? I’m looking to buy HA friendly intercom and not sure what to pick. Hikvision is easy to get in Europe.

I noticed DS-KV8113 supports mifare which allows to unlock the door with some card. Can I unlock the door just with the mobile phone? Can the phone act as a key?

Thanks

I am also deciding for doorbell hikvision or doorbird…
If you want to customize and do stuff, then doorbird is the choice, you can add tiles and shortcuts…
I think hikvision, you can only import camera, no automations based on door press

I have not no. I’m doing a major renovation, I was making sure I could put the right cables in the right spot on the walls in the plans, I’m going to wait until closer to second fix to actually buy them so I can get the latest version at that point.

Which Doorbird model were you considering? They are kind of expensive compared with Hikvision. Are they fully compatible with HA?

You can communicate via phone? I guess they have some kind of app. Will need to check the app reviews if there are any issues :slight_smile:

I noticed some of them have geofencing feature, I guess if you are around with your phone, you can unlock the door without any key, code?

Yeah, they are expensive , I am referring to the dk21xx series… I want the one with keypad…

That have open API, fully integrated… So it means if doorbird shuts down their cloud, you still have your own app as a doorbell…
It hikvision stops their service, then you are screwed…

Also the material from doorbird is much better then hikvision…
So if you want quality and api choose doorbird :wink:

Allthough I am still deciding, I want to go to shop first to actually see them… Maybe i will still choose for hikvision…

Hi @greengolfer @tallenharper , bought myself a doorbird, but quality is so bad!! Sometimes there is no audio at all… Gonna bring it back and gonna buy hikvision… Doordbird only uses 4 cables for poe… So I can use the other 4 for door relay…

Is hikvision poe also only using 4 wires? Normally it is? Right? Did you also try sip? Is it good?

I know nothing about hikvision. I am using GDS3710 for 18 months now. Really happy so far. Very reliable and good audio/video quality.
Wiring for it explained on http://www.grandstream.com/sites/default/files/Resources/GDS3710%20Connection%20%26%20Wiring%20Diagrams.pdf