Hilo Thermostat

Hi,a new company is starting in my region and there price are really good since they try to have more client

I was wondering if I could integrate it in home assistant

The Hilo thermostat seems to be the a rebranding of Stelpro Maestro SMT402 so it should be working with Zigbee2MQTT add-on.

I’ll keep you up to date, Hilo will be installing the system at our home at the end of october.

On peut maintenant intégrer Hilo à Google home! Il faudrait seulement une intégration pour Home assistant semblable à Wemo ou Kasa par exemple et nous pourrions avoir nos thermostats dans home assistant

Des nouvelles sur ça ?

I have hilo thermostats running for nearly a month now

I too have 9 “Hilo” thermostats at home. What would you say be the best way to run everything locally without the need of relying on the Hilo cloud? Getting something like a ZigBee dongle with a raspberry Pi could work but I am just wondering how complicated it would be to setup?

Working with a zigbee dongle would work, but we would not be able to use the Hilo cloud with it. You would have to choose between the two, and I would choose using the Hilo cloud to make sure I participate to the Hilo challenges.

I have a custom integration that work since 2 months. I am able to get datas from thermostats and update the target temperature.

I am also able to retrieve power data from the energy meter since yesterday.

Here is my custom integration:

My code is awful, but it seems to work, for now

1 Like

Really cool and nice work.

In my case, I actually need to ditch the hilo service because I am moving to another house with central heating. I do plan however to keep some of the thermostats for the basement and garage.

That is why I was asking about connecting them directly to home assistant.

I do agree that if you have a hilo service at home, you should use the integration you developed for sure since it would not be possible to bind the thermostats to two different zigbee networks.

BR,

Mathieu

Then I would go with * zig-a-zig-ah! (CC2652 Stick)" with Zigbee2MQTT add-on, it should work I think.

You can test my Hilo integration:

Let me know how it works for you.

1 Like

Salut, Je me demandais si vous pouviez me donner votre opinion / experience avec Hilo

Est-ce que ça vaut la peine ? Est-ce que les dĂ©fi sont dur Ă  respectĂ© ? Est-ce qu’il y a des coup supplĂ©mentaire ? des coup mensuel ??

Merci

Salut,

je l’ai depuis 2 mois donc j’ai encore eu aucun dĂ©fis vu que c’est l’hiver.
Mais aucun cout supplĂ©mentaires ni cout mensuel. L’implantation en elle meme est super facile, branchement a HASS super facile grace a la lib. Les gars de hilo t’installe ca en une demi journĂ©e, trĂšs rĂ©actif, sont meme revenu tout reinstallĂ© car les thermostats Ă©tait mauvais mais je le savais.

Comme je dis à mes amis, j’ai hate à l’hiver pour essayer ça !

Just went through the thread and I am still on the fence with ordering Hilo and I have a few questions:

• After the 3 years amortization, can the hub be released from Hilo and be fully controlled locally from HA instead of cloud control? Is that hub only a cloud connected device configured through the Hilo/Stelpro app but also controllable using Francis’s integration? Aware a USB dongle is not that expensive but would be great not having to reset the network and dump a 130$ hub.

• I am using the custom component for Lutron Caseta with a pro bridge and its been perfect for a few years now so moving away from that seems like asking for trouble but getting 4 free Hilo installed zigbee devices seems a good deal. I could run a hybrid home and get a few switches that are not yet smart.

• Anyone using the Enbrighten dimmers on LED and halogens and are they good at minimum load and are they buzzing when dimmed? I have an array of 7 ceiling halogen lights (50 watts per light) and my current smart dimmer works great.

Thanks

Sorry to necro this thread , since they are very aggressive now 

3 to 5 thermostat + other stuff for 199

I like to have my stuff local, so i dont think i will be able to use ilo + HA at same time

all my ZB are manged via Z2M

Also after a year of usage from many of you , what is your feedback

Hi, you can have Hilo and use HA using this non official integration(but it will still be dependent of the cloud): GitHub - dvd-dev/hilo: Home Assistant Hilo Integration via HACS There’s currently few persons having some problem but things should be sorted out before winter begin! It was working like a charm last year.

I’ve put all the dimmer they gave me on my personnal Zigbee network and I’ve let the thermostat on the zigbee Hilo platform. I removed any scene or schedule from the Hilo app and thanks to the hilo integration, I was able to create allsort of automation in HA. I managed to get a check of around 350$ for the last winter.

Hi, Same for me ! light with zigbee integration and thermostat with hilo cloud integration. I created my own automation and same have about 300$ of cash back at the end of summer ! I Recommend Hilo for every one but even more if you have Home Assistant and can manage it by yourself !

@Arsenick @Thib5 would you share a bit on those automation ?

There’s really nothing complex with those automation.

Here’s a simple example of an automation that trigger when the challenge start.

alias: TEMP - DÉFI Hilo en cours Extra audacieux
description: ""
trigger:
  - platform: state
    entity_id: sensor.defi_hilo
    to: reduction
condition: []
action:
  - scene: scene.defi_hilo_en_cours_extra_audacieux
  - delay:
      hours: 0
      minutes: 0
      seconds: 5
      milliseconds: 0
  - service: remote.send_command
    target:
      device_id: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    data:
      device: thermopompe
      command: heat25off
      num_repeats: 3
      delay_secs: 2
  - service: script.heat_25_off
    data: {}
mode: single

The scene called cut the power off few devices and lower the temp of every piece in the house to 16c and turn off my heat pump.

Here’s the automation that trigger after a challenge to bring back temp and devices to normal state.

alias: TEMP - DÉFI Hilo - Recovery jour travail sans enfants
description: ""
trigger:
  - platform: state
    entity_id: sensor.defi_hilo
    to: recovery
condition:
  - condition: time
    after: "09:58"
    before: "11:00"
    weekday:
      - mon
      - tue
      - wed
      - thu
      - fri
  - condition: state
    entity_id: input_boolean.journee_pedago_routine_desactive
    state: "off"
action:
  - scene: scene.defi_hilo_recovery_jour_travail_sans_enfants
  - service: remote.send_command
    target:
      device_id: xxxxxxxx
    data:
      device: thermopompe
      command: heaton23
      num_repeats: 3
      delay_secs: 2
mode: single

Simply put, you just trigger your automation based on the state of the entity sensor.defi_hilo and do wathever you want with that depending on your activity, if you are in the house etc
 You can manage the pre_heat phase too, so you can level up the temperature before a challenge to stay comfortable during that time.

Better late than never I guess
 Here’s my two cents.

• After 3 years, you can just stop using hilo and switch to HQ winter credit if it’s available at your home. You will have the right to hook all the devices to your zigbee network and manage everything by yourself as I understand this. But if you stop using Hilo you’ll loose the consumption of your house because it’s provided by the hilo hub.

• You might be able to use both, can’t help with that.

• Can’t say how they work with halogen light but I’m really not a big fan of those dimmer
 They’re really hard to dimm to a precise %, I had problem with at least one of them stopping responding and I wasn’T able to turn off the light at all no matter what I tried.