Hiring a consultant to automate my house

Hi there! I am moving into a big house in the SF bay area and am looking for a consultant who would be excited to build out a complete HA system for it.

Scope is roughly: Lutron lights and blinds, HVAC, audio, sensors, garage doors, homekit integration, 3-4 custom dashboards, doorbell, security cameras.

I’m an experienced programmer but don’t have time to do all this myself. Will pay well!

This topic has been up many times.
The general answer is, it’s not a good idea.
Even if we assume the best of all worlds and HA is 100% stable then the devices may cause issues and/or APIs change and it’s in need of fixing.

I understand your answer is I’ll pay for that too.
But what if the"issue" is a TTS message is repeating all the time and all lights is flashing non stop, and your “fixer” is on holliday?

I strongly advise against a smart home if you don’t know how it was built.
And if you still must, then get a company to do it that has staff and 24 h service.

2 Likes

I’m capable of fixing things myself, so I’d also pay the person to explain it all to me and tutor me on the basics so I can do that.

1 Like

I would suggest to take a raspberry PI and do it yourself. Hassio is super simple to install and community is very supportive.
take the opportunity to leverage your knowledge and do it yourself.
:slight_smile: at the end, you would be a happy master

The replies to this thread so far are pretty strong evidence that we are truly in the era of full employment when it comes to technical skills.

1 Like

ahahah … quite true ahahah

Could I ask why you want a smart home?

Not a criticism in any way. It’s just that for many (most?) of us, doing it ourselves is the point. We might as well be building scale models of the Taj Mahal out of matchsticks (quoting my wife here…).

I’d be genuinely interested in an objective view of what the real value of a smart home is.

Mostly just want to have one nice dashboard where I can see all the things, vs having to flip between lots of individual apps.

It’s a “nice to have” for me, not essential.

I wouldn’t say it’s a sign of full employment. The topic of using HA as a commercial product comes up every so often. The general consensus is that there are too many breaking changes.

On going support would be the issue. Most that are experienced enough to handle a paid install, know this. That’s why your not going to get a bunch of responses, jumping at the opportunity to be paid for an install.

So you just want another remote, not a smart home?
I mean nothing should be automated?

In that case it would be slightly less of a deal, but I still wouldn’t do the job.

The reason noone is really jumping on projects like this is too much liability. Home Assistant is a platform for tinkerers. It’s open source and most importantly, it feels like open source. While very powerful, things are always moved around, the amount of breaking changes is staggering. Depending on your setup you may have to spend a lot of time simply keeping things working. People doing home automation as a hobby can (usually) accept this. But when doing this commercially, this unstable target can quickly become a real support liability.

Typically home automation falls into two broad categories: do it yourself setups and commercial pro setups. The former is very heterogeneous, including anything from cheap crappy cloud based devices from AliExpress over home made or hacked ones, up to rather complex semi-pro DIY setups based on Home Assistant or one of the other open source HA platforms. The latter is based on homogeneous commercial systems like Creston, Loxone, Savant, etc. Those are very stable and mature platforms that come with professional installation, programming and support contracts. They’re also very expensive and don’t allow much DIY tinkering, if any at all.

There’s nothing much inbetween.

Home assistant can surely do that, but that is using it as a remote control rather than an automation service, and the latter is its real strength.

To be sure, another real strength is enabling a whole shitload of apps to be sidelined and give you a universal/combined dashboard to your disparate devices. But being able to turn your lights down and your music to your latest sexy thing by a dashboard is not the same as the real potential, which is

“shnak just got home, it is a friday night, there is someone with him so he must have scored, i’ll dim the lights and play that music the ladies like”

substitute your predelictions :slight_smile:

1 Like

That sounds fun!

Almost no one needs any of this stuff. It is, for the majority of us, just a fun toy. So all of you like toys, and I like toys, too, and I was hoping to find someone to help me setup a toy that I can play with. And I’m willing to exchange money for fun.

That’s all :-).

1 Like

Maybe I can be of assistance. PM me

If you are looking mostly for control and you are using Apple devices you might want to just integrate your devices directly (as much as possible) with HomeKit. The Home app is pretty good for general control of devices. All the Lutron stuff has native integration. Some of your other devices might. For those that don’t they may be able to be integrated via a Homebridge instance (like Nest thermostats for example).

Also note that Caséta lighting is pretty well supported by Home Assistant. RadioRA 2 and Homeworks have some HA functionality but if you need support there are not many responses to threads here. You might check out Hubitat, which has very good Lutron support, but not very easy to get right dashboards. Some Hubitat users link to Home Assistant to get the best of both worlds.