Hive Integration

Hi @sooty

i am going to guess you use the Hive custom component, which i think you have mentioned before. The library version bump wasn’t updated for the custom component. i have updated that now if you download the latest files from GitHub it should work now.

Hi @Khole
Having the same problem as @sooty
Updated to 101.2 (and 101.1 before that) and noticed my climate.heating entity has been unavailable since.

Using the latest custom component from GitHub, commit 3932045 21 days ago

Log looks the same too!

Is it possible to link the github or has it a HACS update.

@cameron/@Jonny4911

Apologies, I made the changes today in a bit of a rush and committed it but made the rookie mistake of not pushing it to the repo. The latest commit should be from today now.

It should work through github or hacs.

1 Like

Perfect, all sorted now.
Thanks so much!

Thanks that’s fixed it.:ok_hand:

Thanks @Khole. I’ve applied via HACS and it is all working again.

Forgive me if it is a stupid question, however, I recall that you did some work to enable the battery sensors for me in your Hive Custom component. What I am struggling to understand is why you would need to have both the standard and a custom version of your hive integration? From my layman/hobbyist perspective surely maintaining one version (with all features) would be simpler for all involved?

@sooty

You are right maintaining two versions can be a pain. They both present the same data, the built in version stores all the extra data e.g battery, mode as attributes against each entity and the custom component presents the same data as there own sensor.

But there are benefits to both based on user preference myself personally I don’t mind using the data in the attributes so I don’t use the custom component. Others like to have them as sensors and more visible and do use it.

Also having it built into HA gives it more exposure to the community as it’s within the docs, having it just as a custom component it’s exposure is limited to threads like this relying on people keep posting to keep the thread alive.

The custom component is easier for automations if you are looking at it from a point of ease view, but all that data can still be used in automation with the built in version just looking at the attributes.

I think it comes down to personal preference for individuals. If we got rid of the custom component it would be cleaner but people would miss the extra sensors, if we stopped developing the built in version how many people would find the custom component.

@Khole Thanks for the explanation I had not realised that all the data was also available in the core version and that I just had to figure out how to expose it. If you are happy maintaining the custom version it will save my brain from overheating trying to work out how to use attributes!

I’m currently running Home Assistant 0.101.2 via Docker w/built-in Hive integration. I have my.hivehome.com username and password in configuration.yaml. I’ve only ever seen a sensor.hive_hub_status entity (which shows as online). I see my active thermostats via my.hivehome.com, but the climate entities I am expecting to find in Home Assistant are seemingly absent. I’ve also never seen any error messages and I’ve been troubleshooting on and off across several versions of Home Assistant hoping it would just start working. I also tried the custom component, which didn’t improve things. Located in the U.S.

@randyg503

The USA thermostat isn’t supported in home assistant yet.

Is this worthy of mentioning on Home Assistant’s Hive integration docs page (https://www.home-assistant.io/integrations/hive/) or did I overlook it?

I’ve just created a generic thermostat, using the a dummy switch and a temperature sensor I have strapped to my tank. That creates a climate entity you can use in the simple thermostat card.
The set buttons don’t do anything but it does show temperature and state and have a boost button and matches the heating zones
Scoll down to bottom for Hot water card

Hi,
can you point me to instructions on how to add the Hive repo into HACS as I can’t find it and have also been searching through the community for help to no avail.

Many thanks.

Add this to the HACS Settings page:

1 Like

I am definitely hoping to get the US version working as well.

1 Like

Hi All

I’m new to home Assistant, and I’m really getting in to it. I decided to go down the HIVE route as I have already got the thermostat installed and add to it with Door/Window sensors. I’ve managed to get this integrated into HA, I’ve setup a Node-RED flow with the sensors to indicate which Window/Door is open and indicate the current battery level with a warning to indicate low level battery.

So my question is how can I get Home Assistant to know the state of the sensor as the HIVE app does without a delay. I mean is there away for HA to ping HIVE every 5 seconds to see the state HIVE has it.

Because if a Window/Door is open Home Assistant does see the state for around a minute plus some times.

I would like to set up an automation to work with my location and monitor the Window/Door state to indicate if any have been left open, depending on if I leave a radius range setup for my home location.
I was thinking that the triggers would be the front door and the radius range, once activated, to report the status of the Windows/Doors but the update need to be instant in order for me to know this.

Sorry for the in-depth bah, but just wanted to get the idea across so you know why I need the update to be quicker than it is.

Any advise would be appreciated before i get to deep in to HIVE or other produces on the market.

Hi
The quickest the Hive api can be polled for new data using HA is every 1 minute, the default is every 2 minutes.
I don’t think it would be possible to get the sensor state changes as fast as every 5 seconds as the sensor pushes its state change to Hive not Home Assistant, then Home Assistant will need to pull the latest data at regular intervals.
To get something faster working with Home Assistant you would need sensors directly attached to HA like ZWave, zigbee or WiFi sensors so that they push state changes directly to HA

Thanks for the reply, does the HIVE sensor work on the Zwave or Zigbee protocol. (If that’s the correct terminology) if that’s the case, could I get it to work straight to the HA.

Or could the HIVE sensor be flashed with firmware to work as described. I’m just putting out my option before investing in alternative way.

I mean I could still use the HIVE sensor. Because me opening a window and leaving the house would happen over a longer period than 2 minutes.

If just added the Nmap setting to HA and using that as a state change for my phone and other WiFi devices. If a wifi sensor is the way to go maybe I should look in to that.

@dannywi11imas - I think you may be over complicating this.

I have a similar set up to you and for the none time-sensitive stuff I use HA automation’s (most via node-red). Where I need an instant reaction I have used native hive automation’s. An example would be where I trigger a light when a motion sensor is tripped. Using HA (as @rendili points out) can take up to two minutes. The states eventually catch up in HA and Homekit.

Also, to answer your other question I think Hive uses Zigbee and not Zwave.