Home Assistant Add-On: Firefox

Version 1.1.0

• Base image update: jlesage/docker-firefox to 23.11.3

• Allow exposing VNC and Web ports on the Home Assistant host. This enables Kiosk scenarios (and some iFrame / Webpage card scenarios) with Kiosk mode and default URL options.

• Make the menu entry only available to all users (panel_admin: false).

• Enable the “legacy” mode to use options as environment variables. Few examples of available options below:

• Option to set a VNC password.

• Option to set a default URL.

• Option to start Firefox in Kiosk mode.

• Option to enable Dark Mode.

• Option to add font WenQuanYi Zen Hei. Support for Chinese/Japanese/Korean characters.

• Option to set the resolution of the application.

2 Likes

The startup speed of the Edge version’s add-on tends to become progressively slower after each Firefox update, as it updates all installed packages, including Firefox, upon booting.

The Edge version can also be unstable because the compatibility with the VNC add-on is not tested with the latest Firefox version. If you don’t need the very latest version of Firefox, it’s fine to stay on the standard version.

Nope. :frowning:

Is there a way to remotely upload files to the Firefox instance?

I’m trying to upload a file to my HA server remotely so I can use it to update the firmware of a CCTV camera which I log in to using the Firefox browser when I’m away from home. Unfortunately the file upload isn’t working using my usual method via Studio Code Server (it keeps timing out) so I was hoping to try another method.

Use the File Editor add-on to upload your file to /share/firefox.
Your file will be available in the downloads folder in the add-on, so you can upload it to your camera from here.

2 Likes

I have installed firefox inside Home Assistant and that is working, but I can’t get VNC on my iPad to connect to Firefox in Home Assistant. There’s obviously a step I have missed…any help offered greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Hello,
Maybe you forgot to explicitly set the port for VNC?

Yes that’s it but where do I find this window / setting? Thank you.

OK found it!

Touch screen scrolling of a page doesn’t work on my tablet… how can I solve this problem?

That’s a known issue. I did not find a way to scroll with touch in “touch mode”, it was only possible using the scrollbar.

Maybe it would work with another VNC client. If you find one that works, please share on the topic. :slight_smile:

Alternatively, you can update the dashboard made for you tablet to use different views that don’t require scrolling (when possible).