Home Assistant Add-on: Hyperion-NG

I’ve created an add on for Hyperion NG located at the repository https://github.com/bradsjm/hassio-addons

Hardware Limitations

I use WLED devices and the Hyperion Android Grabber so do not have any hardware devices connected to Hyperion so I am unable to test what hardware does and does not work from within Home Assistant OS add-on. If you manage to get any hardware devices working please let me know so I can update the documentation.

About Hyperion

Hyperion is an opensource Bias or Ambient Lighting implementation which you might know from TV manufacturers. It supports many LED devices and video grabbers.

17 Likes

Thank you bradsjm for a very useful application. Now about the problems. The container does not start. Here is the error log.

[s6-init] making user provided files available at /var/run/s6/etc…exited 0.
[s6-init] ensuring user provided files have correct perms…exited 0.
[fix-attrs.d] applying ownership & permissions fixes…
[fix-attrs.d] done.
[cont-init.d] executing container initialization scripts…
[cont-init.d] done.
[services.d] starting services
[services.d] done.
/run.sh: line 4: /hyperion/hyperiond: cannot execute binary file: Exec format error
[cmd] /run.sh exited 126
[cont-finish.d] executing container finish scripts…
[cont-finish.d] done.
[s6-finish] waiting for services.
[s6-finish] sending all processes the TERM signal.

hassio runs docker on PI4 on rasbian buster system

Thanks, must be an issue with the multiple architecture builds (Exec format error indicates its the wrong architecture) as the amd64 version I run works fine. I kicked off a rebuild of the containers and I’ll dig up a raspberry pi this weekend to test those builds.

1 Like

@genik I think I have resolved the cross-architecture build issue, could you try removing and re-installing. I just tested it on my Pi 4 and it appears to be working now.

OK will try and come back to you with report

installs and run’s fine on a Nuc HassOS. Although I did not test grabbing and output.

To bad my main Hyperion setup is all direct connect at the moment. I was getting lots packet loss and general wifi interference when using Wled devices. To many Wifi users in my area.

However I may Try, try again.

Thanks for sharing your project.
:+1:

Hyperion starts but reports a mistake and the LED does not work

hyperiond LEDDEVICE : <ERROR> Device disabled, device 'apa102' signals error: 'Failed to open device (/dev/spidev0.0). Error message: No such file or directory'

the file in the directory is present
Earlier the Hyperion was situated and worked in the host system.

Thanks. I’ve added a mapping for that device path to the add-on (/dev/spidev0.0) configuration. I’m not sure if just reloading the repository and restarting will use the new configuration or if it needs to be removed and re-installed to get the update. I’m still new at making add-ons.

something strange is going on. I uninstalled addon-hyperion-ng and now I cannot install. https://github.com/bradsjm/hassio-addons does not appear in the repository

Yes, I can no longer install the addon. Here’s the mistake

20-09-22 17:26:06 INFO (MainThread) [supervisor.store.git] Clone add-on https://github.com/bradsjm/hassio-addons.git repository
20-09-22 17:26:08 WARNING (MainThread) [supervisor.store.data] Can't read /data/addons/git/4c317cbd/addon-hyperion-ng/config.json: does not match regular expression @ data['devices'][0]. Got '/dev/spidev0.0:/dev/spidev0.0'

Ok, I don’t think I had the full syntax required for adding the spidev0 to the config however I just refreshed the repository and installed it and it didn’t complain so I think I might have fixed it!

Oh that would be cool

Thanks Jonathan, now everything works as it should. Using Hyperion is much more convenient.

@bradsjm This is amazing! Works perfectly! Thank you!
Just to let you know, I’m using ws2801 and video signal comes from USB grabber.
Only thing I had to do is enable spi manually on hassio to control led lights (login as root and uncommented this line dtparam=spi=on under /mnt/boot/config.txt).
I’m using raspberry pi3 (but i’ll move soon to pi4)

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback, very happy to hear it is working for you!

Hi

Does this work on sony bravia TVs ?

My WLED can be seen by the screen grabber as it pops up saying so.

Screen grabber is seeing my home assistant addon as the server.

Only thing that is not working is the LEDs with Hyperion.

LEDs work fine in WLED when choosing effects.

Thanks

Martyn

Hi

Update. This only works when on my home screen on android tv and YouTube but no actual inputs like xbox or iptv or even the arial channels i have.

Any ideas

Thanks

Martyn

Fantastic stuff, thanks for this @bradsjm
Only recently started messing with hyperion, and this saves me needing to have a dedicated raspberry pi on the go.
All working perfectly here for me, on a Pi 3b using a usb grabber for image capture & WLED devices.
Delighted!

Update:
USB grabber works perfectly but causes bluetooth issues for me on pi3.
Have checked by running without the addon, with the addon default settings and with the addon with usb grabber active.
Bluetooth fails shortly after activating usb capture.
Get multiple Bluetooth: hci0: Frame reassembly failed (-84) errors under supervisor -> host logs.
Googling the error got me some leads that would indicate lowering the baud rate would fix this for me, but I’m not sure how to go about that under hassio… Any suggestions?
I’m aware this may be a host issue rather than the addon, and that you’re not using usb capture yourself. Just posting here in case anyone else has encountered the issue or has any tips.

Edit: If it is relevant I am also seeing mutliple logs along the lines of retire_capture_urb: XXX callbacks suppressed

Glad to hear it mostly works for you, the addon as you thought has no settings for bluetooth, there is simply an option for addons to access bluetooth or not (yes/no)

I wonder if it might have any relationship to this https://github.com/home-assistant/operating-system/issues/910 and if the forthcoming fix for this would help you?

1 Like