Home Assistant Add-on: Hyperion-NG

It doesn’t appear that Home Assistant allow you to roll back to previous add-on versions (though I’ve seen it requested a couple of times). If you have a github account you could fork the repository, change the version in the config.json file under the addon-hyperion-ng folder and then add your forked repository into Home Assistant instead of mine. If not, I could create a testing repository for you instead to try out. Let me know :slight_smile:

1 Like

Your explanation sounds simple enough so I’ll give it a go, thanks for the reply as always.

Well…learnt a lot about using Github and won’t afraid of creating forks to try new things anymore but USB grabber still doesn’t want to work, it just won’t set the priority as active after starting V4L2 :frowning_face:

If you still have that fork, you could try adding this to to the options.json:

"full_access": true,

so it would look like:

"startup": "application",
  "apparmor": false,
  "full_access": true,
  "boot": "auto",

It’s a long shot but worth trying…

Yep, still have it, many thanks for the suggestion. Only problem is I seem to be blind as I can’t see ‘options.json’?

Found it :slight_smile:

No change though unfortunately, many thanks anyway.

I tried updating to Alpha 9 and it fixed my previous issue, I’m now able to load the webpage again.

However running into the same issue above where the USB grabber isn’t recognized.
I’m pretty sure it’s because v4l-utils isn’t installed. /dev/video* doesn’t exist

What are you running it on?

The add-on is configured to pass through /dev/video according to the Hassio documentation. However, v4l-utils was not among the packages I installed into the container. I’ve added it and rebuilt the alpha 9 containers. If you remove and then re-add the add-on you should get the updated container with v4l-utils in it.

Maybe that’s the issue. I can’t even get /dev/video to show up on Hassio, (even though the usb device does show up with lsusb). I’m thinking Hassio doesn’t have the drivers for these HDMI grabbers.

I’m running Hassio on a docker for Synology

Hi Guys, Im using HyperHDR - is an alternative to Hyperion, it uses almost the same settings and api, just a little bit better and faster when it comes to HDR and 4k content.

on/off works well as well as selecting colors and effects, however the brightness doesn’t work, the brightness property has been removed from the system and HyperHDR uses Luminance instead from 0 to 1.

Is there any easy way on changing this?

1 Like

On Raspberry Pi 3+ the LED WS281x isn’t working with PWM. Tried it with GPIO 18. It works with the standalone Hyperion OS, but with the same settings on the Hassio Add on, it does not work. The Log:

Can’t open device file
: Operation not permitted
2021-01-12T13:45:23.769 hyperiond LEDDEVICE : Device disabled, device ‘ws281x’ signals error: ‘Failed to open. Error message: Failed to create mailbox device’
Can’t open device file

At the Remote Control page, the LED device button on the right side is also always off. When i push it on, directly the message

Can’t open device file

appears in the log.

The Hassio System is installed with 32 bit image directly with the hassio OS standalone on the SD Card.

I also tried deactivating Audio in the config file and hdmi forcing. Both did not work.

Hello bradsjm,
I have this error when i start hyperion, can you help me

[s6-init] making user provided files available at /var/run/s6/etc...exited 0.
[s6-init] ensuring user provided files have correct perms...exited 0.
[fix-attrs.d] applying ownership & permissions fixes...
[fix-attrs.d] done.
[cont-init.d] executing container initialization scripts...
[cont-init.d] done.
[services.d] starting services
[services.d] done.
* failed to open vchiq instance
Hyperion caught signal :SIGSEGV
[cmd] /run.sh exited 255
[cont-finish.d] executing container finish scripts...
[cont-finish.d] done.
[s6-finish] waiting for services.
[s6-finish] sending all processes the TERM signal

I have raspbian os (raspberry pi 4) with docker and home assistant supervised, i have installed hyperion addon but doesnt work.

Thanks!

What is the difference of this addon and the currently available Hyperion integration for Home-Assistant?

Thanks in advance for the clarifications.

The latest core update breaks the add-on, the leds turn off, on, off, on and so on.

Has anyone a solution?

Are you sure it was a Core update? I’m on latest 2021.2.3 and the Hyperion addon is working fine for me (it’s grabbing from Android Capture app and sending to a WLED device).

This addon actually runs Hyperion - ie the software that takes incoming screen grabber info, processes it, and sends it out to a LED controller. I use it along with the Android Grabber app on my Android TV and a WLED set.

The Hyperion integration you’ve linked to allows you to control some aspects of Hyperion from within Home Assistant (turning it on and off, enabling some minor features etc).

Yes, the core update make the problems. My Brother has updated hassio too, after that, hed had the same problems.

I have an Pi4 with an HDMI Grabber and WLED

Yes same here. Came back from vacation, updated core, supervisor and host. After these updates the hyperion Log shows:

[services.d] done.
Can't open /dev/mem: Operation not permitted
2021-03-14T02:50:59.343 hyperiond LEDDEVICE    : <ERROR> Device disabled, device 'ws281x' signals error: 'Failed to open. Error message: mmap() failed'
Can't open /dev/mem: Operation not permitted

Hyperion already have full access to the raspberry pi, so there is nothing more to try out.

Anybody know how to downgrade hassio and what exactly to downgrade(HA/SU/Core)?

You must downgrade HA OS to 5.10
The latest OS Update is the problem.