Home Assistant and DNS

Hi

I recently reinstalled HA moving it from ProxMox to TrueNAS (as a VM).

Under ProxMox the installation worked fine and I’m able to access HA via homeassistant.local.

Under TrueNAS however, I can’t access homeassistant via homeassistant.local. But using the HA server ip does work, it looks like a DNS issue.

I’m struggling to understand where this DNS comes from (have tried flushing DNS cache, and deleting cookies).

Would anyone have any ideas? Even more appreciated if you could dumb it down for me, I’m very non-IT

Thanks

Actually mDNS issue

Multicast DNS?

How do you know?

domain .local is managed by mDNS. This is why it is strongly advised not to name any resources with a .local DNS name.

The good thing is that mDNS is not storing information in a permanent storage, so you just need to restart your mDNS network.
The bad thing is that you probably have no clue what devices are part of your mDNS network and if only one device with a faulty entry survives the restart, then it be used as a master when the other devices get online.
So when you can cut power to all devices and when all is down then start them again. Maybe cutting power to the entire house might be an option. :slight_smile:

Thank you all for the pointers

As a comparison to DNS, how does mDNS work? Presumably the source of the .local address comes from the server itself. So rebooting the homeassistant server itself would fix this but it doesn’t?

mDNS is without a central server. Each device listen to the communication on mDNS and make up its own list based on that.

The problem is that some network equipment can run mDNS servers that also picks this up and then reply with that information. that is why it is best to shutdown the entire network and when everything is down, then you know that no information survived.

For multicast to work in a TrueNAS VM, I think you need to either create a bridge in TrueNAS and connect your VM to that OR enable Trust Guest Filters for the NIC in your VM settings.

Thank you all, looks like that’s sorted

• Enabled ‘Trust Guest Filters’ in NIC for VM settings above and rebooted the VM and also all of the TrueNAS, but didn’t seem to have an effect
  • Haven’t tried to create a bridge as don’t know how
  • Came by this SOLVED SMB mDNS Service Discovery Broken / macOS Ventura Can No Longer See TrueNAS:
    My takeaway is that there’s an issue with mDNS with TrueNAS if there’s more than 1 NIC on the computer. Removing the wireless NIC seems to have fixed this.

@troy btw love your work with the HA install on TrueNAS :+1: :+1: :+1:

1 Like