Home Assistant App for Garmin

I just realized my fenix 7 is not connected to my network :roll_eyes:

It looks like my watch connects and disconnects automaticaly from network?
When I do a connection test with Garmin Connect I see on the watch the connection precedure and the a connection success message

Or does it goes over the phone?

The garmin should use your phone’s internet connection over Bluetooth.

I should mention that the HTTPS SSL certificate must be publicly trusted and not a self signed certificate.

Thank you Thank you Thank you !!
Its working now !

1 Like

looks good!
i like the menu concept.

you know hasscontrol - which already supports all possible devices and more entity types?

how about joining forces? :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

So at this stage with two divergent code bases, you want the two different directions to merge? They are different for a reason, we wanted to do things differently.

If you prefer HassControl, use it. You have been given a choice. This app and the way it is configured is what we want.

All the best.

So at this stage with two divergent code bases, you want the two different directions to merge? They are different for a reason, we wanted to do things differently.

Could you explan what that different direction is? Currently I only see the hierarchical menu as the main difference.

You have been given a choice.

What do you mean by that?

Several things which the users are requesting are already implemented in the improved version of Hasscontrol:
https://apps.garmin.com/en-US/apps/3dce2242-473f-4f13-a6a9-299c3686611f

• support for more devices
  • reduced startup delay
  • sensor readings

It’s not my code base. I forked it and improved it because there was no alternative for controlling Home Assistant from a Garmin device.

I’m offering a cooperation because from my point of view, we are working on more or less the same thing.

1 Like

@hatl thank you for your interest.

I’m not pretending our app is better or perfect. We’ve run into memory problems on old devices, and we’ve had two bits of feedback suggesting our app is too complicated to configure. We have for now resolved the memory issues.

Configuration. We have push as much configuration to the server side as possible, This makes editing the menu a copy & past job from entity names in YAML. JSON is 1:1 mappable to YAML and compatible with Garmin IQ. This avoids editing tricky menu configuration in the application options.

Much as this said.

Choice can also be beneficial:

As you can see I have not been afraid to turn people away and advise them to try alternatives. Presently that means your HassControl.

Our philosophy is that if you can setup a Home Assistant editing YAML, setting up our app should be a relative breeze. If not, the app is perhaps not well suited to thre user. The presence of your app provides choice. Also, the watch app should never try to replace the phone app which will alway be better. The watch app should just be some short form of “favourites”.

Our entities are pretty much “typeless”. This is to reduce complexity in the watch app. We are pushing configuration to the server and trying to get misconfiguration resolved server side by JSON schema checking. This design choice has consequences.

We currently support all the devices available with the API level selected. We have thoughts on reducing start up delay caused by remoting the menu configuration and thoughts on a really simple implementation for sensor readings that will maximise work on the server side (but at a cost of some configuration complexity). As such, I think we have a quick route to augment our application rather than trying to coalesce two different code bases which would be a massive code churn.

It appears there are plenty of users out there with Garmin products using Home Assistant. We’re happy to share our app built the way we want it, if others like it too, that’s great. But our offering is no panacea. Think of it as a continuing experiment.

so to summarize - no kind of cooperation wanted by your side.
i will stop asking :wink:

Other than the lofty aims of cooperation, which are commendable, what are the practical aims you are proposing? Have you identified where the two products can merge? That’s the bit I’m struggling with.

Just watching this from the side, as a user, I want to give a small tip:

If we stop asking our selves, why not to cooperate, and focus on the possibilities of joining the forces, there could something really good grow out of it.

And fragmentation of the user base would not affect the amount of users using each of the integrations.
Garmin already has a quiet small community here on HA, we all will benefit from being all focused on one thing instead of two :wink:

1 Like

Another commendable reply, but suffers from the same problem as the original. What is the practical proposal? What development in the product(s) represents the benefit? At what development cost?

Its very easy making such a proposal, but presently missing a credible implementation or benefit beyond vague user base fragmentation.

Please don’t wrong foot me on being uncooperative. My previous concerns require addressing.

1 Like

I see, ok, sorry for trying… You know, it is not only about the bits and bytes… I’m stepping out on this point, too much effort needed to change your mind. :upside_down_face:

Just updated the app with GarminIQ to 2.1. Still working great on my Vivoactive4!

2 Likes

Sorry @BebeMischa, it is precisely about the bits and bytes. Without addressing the issues there, there can be no definition of the work required to merge.

By return, my tip to you is to be less idealistic and more practical if you wish to be convincing.

1 Like

Hello.

on the github issue
I posted a question, please check it :slight_smile:

Issue title
“I would like to ask about the three problems that have occurred.”

My HA only works on my Garmin watch when my Connect app is open on my iPhone. If I close the app on my iPhone then the HA app on the Garmin watch says “No Phone Connection”. Background refresh on the iPhone is activated. Can anyone help as I dont want to leave the Connect app open all the time. Thanks in advance!

@Dolf

This post above from @a_smart_hoome currently represents the best insight we have.

I don’t know Apple products, so I can’t comment on how the data connection is affected by application permissions and behaviours.

Sorry.

On it at I would like to ask about the three problems that have occurred. · Issue #40 · house-of-abbey/GarminHomeAssistant · GitHub

Amazing work, thank you. One suggestion. It would be great, if the connection to the phone is lost, the app would call up the connection via Wifi. That’s how the APICall app works (yours is infinitely better). Imagine popping out of the house in a t-shirt without a key or phone and slamming the door, and it’s winter outside. With only a Garmin and your app on hand, you can be a hero in this situation. Wifi coverage is better. T.

So I’m not sure how to do that. You’ll see in the code we have two conditions: https://github.com/house-of-abbey/GarminHomeAssistant/blob/25205e715e3c34ba7cdb0ba29ec0aeb84acc547a/source/HomeAssistantService.mc#L113

I’ve never successfully got the second to fail during a simulation. I can’t get the simulator to drop the Wi-Fi connection. All the devices I have experience of using only connect to Wi-Fi to sync, not for general Internet usage. So which device are you using please?

If I sim with the right device I might manage to make that useful change. I realise the order of conditional tests is presently not helpful, which goes to show we’ve not successfully tested (and failed) in this scenario. Good news is, with your help we might improve on this point.