Home Assistant App showing a blank screen, Chrome, Safari on iOS crash

Hi All

I have 2x iPhone 12 running iOS 16.0.2. On both of these phones I can’t connect to my home assistant server either through the local network or remotely. I have tried the App, Chrome and Safari. I have removed the app and reinstalled. I can log in via the App, but when I go to the default lovelace dashboard the screen refreshes after about 5 seconds, then goes back to the default dashboard, after a further 5 seconds it goes blank. I can pull down to refresh but the same cycle repeats. On Chrome the default dashboard loads and a few seconds later I get a “Can’t open this page error”.

Here are some screen grabs to show the behaviour:
iOS App
Chrome on iOS

I can access the server from a Windows laptop, an iPad running iOS 12, and Android devices. Any clues as to how to solve this would be greatly appreciated and would get my Wife Acceptance Factor back into positive territory.

Thanks

1 Like

I’m having the same issue in my iPhone the screen flashes up for a sec then goes blank I can pull down to refresh but it goes straight back to the blank screen

3 Likes

Same for me on the mobile companion app. When I use it on my local wifi, it loads properly everything works. When I access it via Wireguard VPN, I see the dashboard flashing then a blank screen.
I can however open the menu and go to another page, which also flashes and goes blank.
If I select however the Frigate page, everything is displayed and works properly. So the connection is fine.
I managed a couple of time to get it working by clearing the front end cache in the mobile app, but most of the time, even that manipulation does not work. I use an iPhone XR on IOS 16.1

Has anyone found a resolution to this? Or any ideas which direction I should investigate?

I have the same issue …
any suggestions to fix it?

My workaround was to try get to Settings->Dashboards and set my preferred dashboard as the “default on this device”. For some reason that fixed it.

1 Like

I’m running into the same issue. Confirm that switching dashboards can be a workaround, however, the page and menu often blanks faster than you can get to that menu. It appears something gets added to the default dashboard that crashes the webpage rendering. Not sure if it’s related to something specific like a certain type of widget or device name or if its a general limit that gets reached.

See my workaround here: iPhone app go to blank screen using Nabu Casa · Issue #2259 · home-assistant/iOS · GitHub

1 Like

I’m still having this issue with two iPhones with the companion app. I followed the workaround by @outdoorsgeek but it does not make any difference.

Here is the behaviour I have with the 03.2023 release of HA. The dashboard to load by default is not the default dashboard but one design for mobile purpose:

• Dashboard access on a computer (Chrome browser) via Wireguard, everything is working well.

• Dashboard access with the mobile companion app via my Wifi internal network, all works well.

• Dashboard access with the mobile companion app via 4G and Wireguard, I have this blank screen problem.

• Dashboard access with the mobile Chrome browser via 4G and Wireguard, I have this blank screen problem.

So it seems related to the mobile way of rendering the dashboard when accessing via Wireguard (makes no sense to me). The only specific aspect is that I use Mushroom to design my dashboard. I do not use any other front end additions.

This issue is quite cumbersome as it makes remote access on mobile useless. The interesting part is that if I manage to navigate to the setting page or another system or add-on page and refresh, then it displays correctly. So it would point to an issue related with Mushroom. But then why does it work via Wifi??

I’ve landed up here suffering the same thing.

• HA App and Safari browser on a 12.5.7 iOS iPad 2 mini.
  • Home Assistant 2023.8.1
  • Supervisor 2023.08.1
  • Operating System 10.4
  • Frontend 20230802.0 - latest

I have tested with a completely blank dashboard except one standard entity card, showing a very static sensor (Samba version as it happens), set as default dashboard to the user account which is logged in on the device. I find that having initially loaded the dashboard, after about 1-2 mins the sidebar and header remain but the cards section is blank. It seems to happen on any dashboard. I’ve tried the workaround of disabling Remember Last Page. I had browser-mod integration running, so disabled that and restarted just to try to eliminate that as a potential cause, which didn’t make a difference.

However, when I switch to a view, containing exactly the same one entity card, off the dashboard, it seems stable! So my workaround appears to be: put my dashboard into a view.

I have attempted to scan the debug logs from the app to look for anything untoward, and the error rows reproduced here in case they trigger something to someone:

2023-08-10 14:21:51.070 [Error] [main] [Environment.swift:72] init() > WebSocket: Error: Optional(POSIXErrorCode: Software caused connection abort)

2023-08-10 14:21:52.351 [Error] [main] [ZoneManager.swift:112] perform(event:) > final error for ZoneManagerEvent(locationChange([<lat,long> +/- 65.00m (speed -1.00 mps / course -1.00) @ 07/08/2023, 02:12:14 British Summer Time])): duringOneShot

2023-08-10 14:21:52.624 [Error] [main] [WebViewController.swift:1068] handleExternalMessage(_:) > unknown: result

2023-08-10 14:21:53.145 [Error] [webhookmanager-data] [WebhookManager.swift:540] responseInfo(from:) > no persisted info for LocalUploadTask <082E0990-DD08-4159-8626-3BEBF5256411>.<113> (nil)
2023-08-10 14:21:53.278 [Error] [main] [HAAPI+RequestHelpers.swift:15] handleResponse(response:seal:callingFunctionName:) > Error on GetMobileAppConfig() request: responseValidationFailed(reason: Alamofire.AFError.ResponseValidationFailureReason.unacceptableStatusCode(code: 404))

2023-08-10 14:25:09.905 [Error] [main] [Environment.swift:72] init() > WebSocket: Error: Optional(POSIXErrorCode: Software caused connection abort)

Thanks for the tip on the view. I have some already in my dashboard and tried to access them (as I am facing the problem as we speak again) and it did not work.

It is frustrating as I can access it perfectly from my laptop via WireGuard and Chrome. But on mobile it just fails randomly. This week, it worked 3 days remotely, and then one time I get a blank dashboard and do not seem able to recover it anymore.

Sorry that my suggestion hasn’t helped. I’m using an iPad that connects to HA on the local network only. You may want to try opening an issue at Issues · home-assistant/frontend · GitHub but you’ll need to pull the logs off the app to have someone look more closely at what its reporting…under App Configuration->Debugging->Export log files

1 Like

you saved my day