Home Assistant benchmarks on various platforms + results

Hey guys and gals,

recently I started to do some benchmarking of various hardware platforms I have at my disposal. After all I was curious about some metrics, given that Raspberries aren’t really the recommended platform anymore.

Luckily Home Assistant (at least with the Core-Installation) includes a benchmark function specific to some tasks Home Assistant performs internally. Below you’ll find a table with my results, my opinion about the results, my testing methodology, and some further details on the machines if been doing this on.

Maybe this will inspire others to benchmark their systems, eventually allowing us to compose a list of hardware platforms and how they theoretically perform in regards to Home Assistant. I would be especially interested in the ODRIOD platform that has become popular recently. Maybe someone even comes up with a Repo for a Jekyll-driven site that puts all the data nicely together.

Anyways, here is the result-table. I have abbreviated some table headings. They match the order of the selected benchmarks described in the testing methodology.

Results

Machine f_e s_c_h s_c_e_h f_e_i v_e_i j_s_s Idle (W) Load (W)
Eee PC 8,68 30,76 19,71 2,24 5,06 OOM 12 16
Pi 3 8,80 29,86 16,83 2,35 4,98 OOM 2 3
Pi 4 3,97 12,65 8,08 1,05 2,09 37,83 3,5 4,5
Mini PC 3,54 15,60 10,26 1,02 2,13 84,94 2 3
i7 6700K 0,64 1,96 1,15 0,17 0,36 7,40

Notes:

• OOM stands for “out of memory”, which resulted in the process terminating and not completing the benchmark.
  • For every measurement: smaller is better

Opinion

For a while now I have been using a Raspberry Pi 3 for Home Assistant. I don’t have that many automations, and stuff like the SQL for the recorder is running on a different machine. So generally the system does pretty well for my requirements and doesn’t see much load. But I had that Mini PC laying around for quite a while as well - doing nothing - and thought maybe it would be a better choice. I really hate the poor IO on the Pi, and some of you probably are familiar with dying SD cards. So the Mini PC with its internal eMMC storage and an Intel Atom x5-z8350 processor might be the better alternative. And it absolutely is. It has mostly double the performance compared to the Pi 3 at the same energy consumption. One observation I can’t explain: the json_serialize_states benchmark was really slow in the first 2 iterations, but then significantly faster during following ones. Neither the Pi’s nor the Desktop PC were showing this behaviour.
What could make this platform interesting for others might be, that the CPU has Intel QuickSync support. This means that it’s capable of Hardware-accelerated transcoding when using Plex on the same machine. A nice article about this can be found here, where someone is running Plex an Atomic PI board.

Since I got a Pi 4 for Christmas, I chose to benchmark it as well to see if that again would be a better choice than the Mini PC. Overall it’s slightly faster. Especially the json_serialize_states performs way better. But it also consumes about 1,5 watts more than the Mini PC.

I also had a really old Asus Eee PC 901 laying around and was surprised, that it actually keeps up pretty well compared to the Pi 3. The big downside though is, that it’s a 32bit processor. And for how it performs it consumes way too much energy. So it’s not really a system to run Home Assistant on for anything else but testing.

Finally, just for comparison, I did the same benchmarks on my Desktop PC (Windows 10 in a Debian WSL) to get a feeling of how far behind those small platforms are. And it for sure crushes all of them. But as you can see I didn’t even bother to check the energy consumption. Because of the harddrives, Graphics card etc. it eats too much energy to be useful as a system that’s running 24/7.

My conclusion so far is, that the Mini PC actually is a good choice. Because of the more robust eMMC storage it wouldn’t be necessary to rely on a Pi 4 + non-SD-storage. And the transcoding-capability for Plex might be very attractive as well (provided this would also work within the Plex-addon, which I haven’t tested). Being an x86_64 CPU could be beneficial in some usecases as well. Even though nowadays most software is available for ARM CPUs, pretty much anything will be available on x86.

Testing methodology

Except with my Desktop PC and the Eee PC, I always booted the machine from a freshly installed Operating system. Which ones exactly will be mentiond along with the machine details below. For the Eee PC I chose to boot from a Knoppix live-image to not mess with the installed system.

Once I had a shell, I have installed some required libraries, created a virtual environment for Python, installed the core version of Home Assistant 2020.12.0 (this one still supports Python 3.8), and then ran the benchmarks. If you want to benchmark your system in a similar fashion, this is essentially what I did on the shell:

sudo apt update
sudo apt install python3-venv python3-setuptools python3-dev build-essential
cd /tmp
python3 -m venv venv
source venv/bin/activate
pip install homeassistant==2020.12.0

The benchmarks

Home Assistant includes several benchmarks, like firing a ton of events, doing stuff with entity IDs, whatever. As I didn’t really set up Home Assistant, not all benchmarks were working out of the box. At least I assume that’s why they didn’t start. Hence I stuck with the ones that were (almost) running on all of the platforms I have benchmarked. All benchmarks ran for 3 iterations, except json_serialize_states, which ran for 6 iterations. The reason for the additional iterations is, that the Mini PC started poorly, but gained speed the longer it was running.
I then added the results of each iteration, and divded the sum by the number of iterations to get an average. So for example: 1.2 + 1.3 + 1.1 = 3.6 / 3 = 1,2
Before starting the benchmarks I let the systems settle for a moment after preparing everything. I then wrote down the current enery consumption as measured by my rather basic energy-monitoring-plug (which is measuring in 0.5 steps). That way I had the baseline consumption of the machine while being idle. Then while running the fire_events benchmark, I kept an eye on the consumption as well and wrote down a rough average of what the meter was reporting (sometimes it was jumping by 0.5 - 1.5 watts).

These are the benchmarks I was running. The order of the list corresponds to the table headings from left to right, starting at the second column:

• fire_events
  • state_changed_helper
  • state_changed_event_helper
  • filtering_entity_id
  • valid_entity_id
  • json_serialize_states

These benchmarks can be started with the command hass --script benchmark $BENCHMARKNAME, where $BENCHMARKNAME refers to one of the available benchmarks above. After the required iterations have passed, I have terminated the process by pressing CTRL+c.

The hardware

Asus Eee PC 901

CPU: Intel Atom N270 (32bit)
RAM: 1GB
Storage: RAM (live Linux distribution)
Operating System: Knoppix Live-Linux

Raspberry Pi 3 Model B

CPU: BCM2837 -> ARM Cortex-A53
RAM: 1GB
Storage: 16GB Samsung class 10 MicroSD
Operating System: Raspbian OS (Buster)

Raspberry Pi 4 Model B

CPU: BCM2711 -> ARM Cortex-A72
RAM: 4GB
Storage: 16GB Samsung class 10 MicroSD
Operating System: Raspbian OS (Buster)

Wintel Pro Mini PC (no vendor resources, there are tons of variations on Amazon, Aliexpress etc.)

CPU: Intel Atom x5-z8350 (64bit)
RAM: 2GB
Storage: 32GB eMMC
Operating System: Ubuntu 20.04 LTS

Desktop PC

CPU: Intel i7 6400K
RAM: 16GB
Storage: Samsung NVMe SSD
Operating System: Debian (Buster) on Windows 10 (WSL2)

14 Likes

I am going to do an experiment on my system with these benchmarks, comparing the standard docker configuration python executable to Pyston2 to see how much of a performance increase can be had

1 Like

It’s too bad that there isn’t just a benchmark feature that can be run from the front end of an existing install. I’d really like to see how some integrations are negatively impacting performance.

2 Likes

I ran the benchmark on my system.
Not so easy, I had to figure out which of the dockers containers was the right one.
So i did:

• docker ps
  • took the id of the homeassistant docker ghcr.io/home-assistant/raspberrypi4-64-homeassistant
  • ran docker exec -it 5240f104865a bash
  • once inside the docker I ran hass --script benchmark fire_events or the other benchmarks

My computer is a OrangePi4
i choosed this model because it has:

• 16B EMMC internal flash disk that allows to work without the sim card
  • wifi and ethernet (i wanted to use the wifi as a hotspot, but can’t deal with so many devices)
    -Rockchip RK3399 (28nm HKMG process) 6-core ARM® 64-bit processor ,main frequency speeds up to 2.0GHz
  • 4GB RAM
  • it’s cheap

The benchmarks are:

OrangePi 4 3,80 11,62 6.80 0.65 1.62 OOM - -
2 Likes

I’m planning to migrate to x86, so i figured it would be a nice idea to benchmark my cuirrent setup. I followed @j_codi instructions for connecting to the right container. And here is what i’ve got.

RockPI 4 B

CPU: Rockchip RK3399
RAM: 4G
Storage: 64GB eMMC

Machine f_e s_c_h s_c_e_h f_e_i v_e_j j_s_s
RockPI 4 3.28 11.02 6.17 0.93 1.99 26.32

These numbers are not particularly clean, as this was ran on a sizable live HA install.

I would love to see these reported on Hardware page of HA.

One other metric that can be useful is disk access.

~$ sudo hdparm -tT /dev/mmcblk0

/dev/mmcblk0:
 Timing cached reads:   2176 MB in  2.00 seconds = 1088.29 MB/sec
 Timing buffered disk reads:  60 MB in  3.61 seconds =  16.64 MB/sec

Out of interest this is mine, keeping the previous numbers for ease of comparison.

The linux host for the VM runs a fair amount of tasks, the load is with the j_s_s test going.

Eee PC 8,68 30,76 19,71 2,24 5,06 OOM 12 16
Pi 3 8,80 29,86 16,83 2,35 4,98 OOM 2 3
Pi 4 3,97 12,65 8,08 1,05 2,09 37,83 3,5 4,5
Mini PC 3,54 15,60 10,26 1,02 2,13 84,94 2 3
i7 6700K 0,64 1,96 1,15 0,17 0,36 7,40
N2+ 1.30 4.84 3.10 0.15 0.19 16.57 2.3 3.8
Xeon E3-1220 v3 VM 0.47 1.73 0.97 0.06 0.08 7.95 97 121