Home assistant by voice

Note that it’s also relying on a cloud service by default, even if you can set it up to use only PocketSphinx.

This is what I was referring to with crowdfunding projects; if they rely on a cloud service and the project goes belly up after delivering, you are left with a worthless investment. (Example: I was stupid enough to buy a Kreyos smart watch.)

yeah - true if they deliver at all. I got a almond+ router via kickstarter — I think it was a year later than promised. Its a nice router but I don’t use the advertised home-automation features at all since even I think 2 years later they don’t support most of the stuff I need…

Well, I gave it one more shot in August for these WiFi powered smart bulbs…

There already a bit late on delivery, but we’ll see how it goes. Hoping they publish an API for it as promised so I can integrate them into HA.

Guys, I am planning to build the AlexaPi on my RPi Zero W which is on the way to myself :slight_smile:

Before I jump into the configuration part, the first couple of queries I have:

Did anyone tried to run Alexa on a Pi3 which is also hosting hass/dashing etc. I mean what level of system performance impact is expected from Alexa ? If its not much, I might end up with installing that in my existing pi3.

Second, nobody talked about a speaker that has integrated microphone. Will that work ? I got a good Bluetooth Speaker laying around with inbuilt microphone. If possible, reusing that one would be the first preference of course. If cant be used then I would like to order some USB mic early on so that I can straight get my hands dirty when pi zero arrives.

Thanks

1. AlexaPi should use no to little CPU performance. One thing is it uses your mic / audio out 100% of the time iirc. Which means you can’t use those for anything else.
  2. As long as it works on the Pi it works on AlexaPi

~Cheers

1 Like

@PhyberApex that’s great news indeed. So if I am not concerned about resiliency, same pi solution should work. Thanks a lot for your valuable reply.

1 Like

Hi, this is an update regarding my AlexaPi project. Just to let people know that the Bluetooth speaker/mic combo didn’t work with pi. I was checking another option of using the in built mic of Android phone, well again pi doesn’t have the necessary software for that which works with PC/Mac. Seems, USB microphone is the way to go…

@PhyberApex - what speaker / microphone combo do you have it currently working with?
I’ve freed up a RP3 since moving my hass install to a z83 box and wouldnt mind trying it out with known working hardware.
Currently i have TTS going through my denon amp automatically, but it takes approx 5 seconds to bring the amp online to start the audio…

That’s the one I am using but really any USB-Mic should work. I also have normal speakers which are connected through the 3.5mm Audio Jack. As long as you don’t use the HDMI out this should work fine.

~Cheers

Link:
https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B00XA01IQC/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Great Thanks. I found this microphone on aliexpress and get one ordered :slight_smile:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-shipping-new-Mini-3-5mm-Wired-USB-3-5-condenser-Capacitance-Studio-Microphone-SF-555B/32461489410.html

What’s the range like with that mic and when you say normal speakers are they powered?

USB powered speakers, and the range is not great at all…like 1-2 meters max.

~Cheers

Thanks, i only really wanted to try this for the novelty value so don’t want to spend much and i had been looking at the PS3 eye as that has excellent range/direction and they’re virtually giving them away now but gather set up isn’t as simple as it might be.

Are there any projects using the google voice?