Home Assistant Cast (preview)

This is awesome! Actually makes the Google/Nest Hub worth it. I have one, and was kind of disappointed by the lack of usable features that the screen brings vs a regular assistant device. Happy Birthday Paulus

maybe a stipid question, i dont own a “hub” yet, just some mini’s
but if you cast a screen to it, so you are actually using another frontend, can you still use GA on it?
does it still accept voice commands when GA is in background?

Happy Birthday!!!

Nice nice news! Now I se why if need a Nest :smile:

Guys you can see my implementation here if you don’t want to wait. As far as the home hub is concerned it’s just another casted stream like any other so the hub behaves as normal

This looks very cool! So if I use a Xiaomi button as my doorbell, as I currently do I would think that it would be possible to have my camera turn on a live stream on a television that had a chrome cast hooked into it? Correct?

If so I may have to invest in one soon! That’s for all you and the team do! I love HA and everything it stands for! May thanks my friend!

1 Like

Cant wait for a tutorial on how to use this!

1 Like

This is so cool! This kind of stuf is why I love Home Assistant and the community so much.

excited for tomorrow’s beta release

Is balloob going to be in the next Macklemore music video?

Will Google be able to access any of our data were we to choose to leverage Home Assistant cast?

That looks very interesting. Great idea to be able to trigger a cast to a screen in case of an event (like the doorbell you mentioned).

Is it possible to cast different Lovelace screens to different hubs? So every room is personalised?

1 Like

You can with the method I’m using (though it currently requires the use of a second Pi).

Awesome! Can’t wait. Happy birthday!!

1 Like

Tutorial/instructs/walkthrough?

Basically you need to install “cast all the things” on a second pi which you can use to cast any URL. Use a command line switch with SSH to connect to the other Pi and trigger the catt. If you want to use Lovelace you’ll have to enable trusted networks auth and allow the IP of the device you’re casting to as it’s not possible to type on the Google home hub to enter login details.

1 Like

Thanks for working on this. I’ve been pestering Google to allow webpages to load on the smart display https://support.google.com/assistant/thread/232545?hl=en for over a year now so I can use Home Assistant on the Smart Display.

Can’t wait to get this working!!!

Why a second pi?

Because you can’t install the required catt on the hass.io pi unless you potentially set up another docker container which isn’t something I’ve looked into

scratch that, you can just use portainer to install catt directly into the home assistant container.

Oh, I see you appear to be confusing home assistant with hass.io.