Home Assistant Cast

Ok I see something in common! I’m also using a reverse proxy! Can it be it?

Thank you

Hmm yeah it might, but I created a view with standard lovelace cards and it worked…
Let me know if you have any solution with custom cards.
Can you try with a view with default lovelace cards?

Be sure to click the “show” button to the right after you see the connected screen. Stumped me for a few min as well.

1 Like

I use card modder for pretty much every card. Mine does not work either. As you said, a view with default lovelace cards works for me as well.

Yes, standard card it works!

CAST seems very interesting, but is limited to devices that support Chromecast. I already have a couple of iPads around the house that I’ve been using to display a custom interface that pulls from HA using websockets.

Is there any iOS app that would allow me to receive CAST Inn an iPad?

It is the exact same product, it was originally called the Google Home Hub, but since now Google Owns nest, they just changed the name. If you get one today with a box that says “home hub” it doesn’t matter because it updates the software when you connect it to wifi so don’t worry. They have 100% same hardware and functionallity.

Also it is basically a Google Home mini, with a touch ui and it is more photo framey than a tablet because it has a light sensor that adapts the color and light to the room.
Edit: for people with a Chromecast, it is a tiny touch screen chromecast with a speaker
1 Like

I’m only seeing one choice in the “pick a view” dialog: Home

I’ve been using HA for a long time and never did anything specific with my installation with the rollout of Lovelace. Are my existing views are now Lovelace views? Or is there an extra step that I need to complete?

I’ve tried to cast to my nexus 7 using a Cast receiver app. Unfortunatelly, it doesn’t work as expected. It’s possible to cast to the tablet but not as with the Chromecast. The tablet displays only the screen for managing homeassistant cast (https://cast.home-assistant.io/). This is probably because those kind of Cast Receiver applications don’t really implement the Google Cast protocol…

1 Like

Same here, tried view name or number…
Works good with home assistant cast website but not from cast entity in a card…
Did you figured it out ?

Works great on my Nvidia Shield Android TV. Only problem that I have is that it seems to ignore panel mode making my Home View have black borders on both sides and the bottom just like if I had panel mode turned off in the lovelace config.

This worked straight away on my Android TV but without being able to select a theme, it’s rather sad looking. Also, the view does not size to suit the TV at all so a lot of the view is off the screen. Any way to get the Cast to size appropriately?

2 Likes

OK Boys & Girls…
https://support.eset.com/alert4/
This is a workaround for anyone using Eset Products (like me)

All my cast devices now show up. (they must have reused alert4)

1 Like

I tried this on my OnePlus 6T running Chrome Dev, and it keeps crashing my browser. When I tried the normal Chrome browser on the phone the demo worked. I’m still unable to use the cast row entity I created in HA lovelace to cast though.

Not sure how useful this is… it’s not working with a custom weather card… the dreaded red error wall.

1 Like

I have sample problem with Cast receiver app, is there any app that can emulate chromecast ?

1 Like

There was a app called Cheapcast that was working as Chromecast emulator. But since the app is not available anymore on the store and anyway Google Protocol Cast has changed a lot. It looks like those continous changes made difficult to maintain a receiver app that emulate the chromecast.

See the post : https://www.reddit.com/r/Chromecast/comments/6ji1oo/tablet_as_a_chromecast_receiver_or_sink/

But still, I’m looking forward to finding one chromecast emulator app.

I’ve got cast working on my “home hub” and it looks really nice and mostly works well. The only issue I have, is when I click (touch) an entity, nothing happens. Using the web browser, the entity details modal pops-up, showing the history, brightness, colours, etc. But on my Home Hub nothing shows up, I’ve tried double tapping, long tap, etc to no avail. This is annoying as I can’t adjust the brightness of lights or change the fan or mode for my AC. Is this a known issue or am I missing some config option?

2 Likes

All working great beside cameras, not working any idea why ?

yeah cameras wouldnt pop up for me