Home Assistant Cast

Thanks for all your replies. Next questions are…

What is the cheapest cast device that I can try it on?

Can I use any Android tablet and install an app to support this?

What if I don’t have both? Which one should I go for?

Yes, but it does not work either.

I have an certificate from Digicert and this is trusted. Therefore I don’t see the problem. In the documentation is only a certificate a prerequisite.

Oh course your missing out nick cus it’s… it’s… it’s… your just missing out that’s why

1 Like

Story of my life mate.

1 Like

BTW is was @DavidFW1960 who was mauling your TV

Google don’t have a cast app for android, only for Android TV. Cast is a proprietary protocol and whenever someone cracks it and creates an open source implementation, they change the protocol.

A chromecast attached to an HDMI monitor or TV is probably the cheapest way in, but you really want a touch device or it is just a display.

The google nest hub is often on special, it’s a device you can put on a bedside cabinet, mantelpiece, kitchen bench etc.

I guess it depends on how much you want to be dragged into the google vortex…

1 Like

Hey! I resemble that remark. Leave me out of it lolol :slight_smile:

I’m just waiting for some kind of promotion where they are giving them away… got a GH mini with a 3 week ‘spend’ of $75 a week on groceries @ Woolies here a year or so ago… but I would NEVER buy a hub and certainly not for this at this time while it’s dependent on something to ‘cat’ to it. It’s not even on my Radar…

Ah dragged into the Apple and Google vortex… pretty unavoidable unless you are living in a cave.

I don’t shop at Woolies (or as their supermarkets are known here, Countdown) as they are, well, Australians. But that’s not a bad deal. You can’t cast HA to it though, as it doesn’t appear to have a screen!

Of course not but eventually there will be some kind of irresistible deal on a hub… just an example

I have gone into Amazon vortex. Don’t plan to change one. Now I wish this goes to Echo Show as well.

I have the same issue as you @ricvaz. I have a feeling you have to use the cast.homeassistant.com registration to make it work - but I don’t like that idea as that makes it reliant on someone else’s infrastructure - and half of the point of home assistant is to not be reliant on anything other than your own.

Hoping that someone else corrects me on this point, as currently cast would be great, but doesn’t seem to quite sit right within the principles of homeassistant if my understanding is correct.

Probably the Google Home Hub, unless you don’t want touch then a Google Chromecast to plug into a TV/monitor.

I don’t believe you can turn a tablet into a Cast device.

That’s totally personal. I like having a bit of both. It’s going to be handy to be able to throw a particular card up on my Hubs on demand (like a card showing the state of all the doors, windows, etc at bedtime, on the unit by the bed). I also like being able to wander around with a UI at my fingertips when I’m playing with things.

This is pretty much a demo. Read the section on Coming soon and future plans, look at the new cast row, etc.

Thanks. I assumed from the way it was written that 0.97 would include the full “local” version of this. Good to know that this is a demo of something which should come to the wider project in due course as it’s developed.

What happens when Google changes the cast protocol or decides to shut it down?

1 Like

Yeah… that’s a valid concern. Best example is Google Home device tracker component. For me, it’s best not to rely on proprietary device.

wait, it can do that? you mean you can make a card from HA to pop up, overlay on top of whatever is showing on the screen? Can you show me a picture or a video on how it works?

1 Like