Home Assistant Cast

This is where I’m a bit confused, I can call Home assistant cast from the ui. But then it gets stuck on the splash screen where there’s a Home Assistant logo, a heart and Nabu Casa logo it says connected but my view doesn’t show.

If I cast a tab from google chrome it casts the tab with no issues.

I’m stuck…,

I’m in the same boat.
I added an “entities” card to my home screen with following:

type: entities
entities:
  - type: cast
    view: home
    hide_if_unavailable: true
show_header_toggle: false

I see the HA loves CASA symbol and “connected” underneath. The “home” view is not displayed.

Has anybody got this working?

If so could you please share examples.

It’s sporadic for me. Casting from the website/UI works fine, but I have trouble when invoking the service, and with custom cards.

Last night I was testing it in a couple of automations; each showing a different view. Upon manual invocation, I could see the “Connected” screen, but it would just hang there. One attempt actually displayed an error about not being able to see a path. I tried all of the suggested fixes, such as re-authenticating and adding the view_path in my views, but nothing worked.

Then, later in the evening, when one of the automations ran, it worked absolutely fine. The second automation ran this morning and it too was OK. I have no idea what I did to get it working, but ALL of my views now have a view_path, I did try also adding a name, but I removed this and it still works. I also re-authenticated and restarted HA.

I’ll be interested to see if it’s still working tonight.

Now all I need to do is get the custom cards working. I know there are some reported compatibility issues, but I’ve seen others using the same cards as me, so I’m fairly certain it’s related to my setup.

1 Like

So you use the view_path at the top of each Lovelace page, kind of like you would do with compact custom header!

Have you checked your configuration?
According to https://www.home-assistant.io/lovelace/views/
you are supposed to have path for view and navigation_path for cards that support it (no view_path parameter).

I have all my views with path parameter set, yet the navigation from service_cast works only after I reauthenticate with cast.home-assistant.io. And interesting ienough, if I start cast that way, the old method does not work until I stop casting (does not detect cast in progress).

1 Like

I edit my using the yaml. This is the config for one of my cards:

- title: Climate
    path: climate
    icon: mdi:thermometer
    background: var(--background-image)
    cards:
1 Like

Yes, finally it is showing my views!
Thank you!

I know some custom cards do not display correctly, in my case the custom-button-cards just show red boxes. Is there something I can ask the developer to do to make these show properly? And did you or anybody figure out how to display a full screen camera image yet?

1 Like

Annoyingly, mine didn’t work with my morning automation this morning. It just loaded up the Connected screen. I haven’t changed a thing or even so much as restarted since it was working yesterday.

It seems very flaky, or maybe only one user at a time can have it working… :wink:

1 Like

Did you go here?

http://cast.home-assistant.io/

It was launched by a service call

Does anybody know how to create a button in lovelace to navigate to a other tab? like in the demo with the climate controls

Custom button card can!

I use them to navigate to different areas in my UI

I use entities card with URL elements for that:

entities:
- icon: ‘mdi-tools’
type: weblink
url: /lovelace/nameofthecard

type: entities

1 Like

I have a chrome cast first generation, but when I lunch HA cast it says “can not connect” Does chromecast connect locally to HA, because I have my HA instance behind cloudflares proxies.

Any possibility to navigate and interact with the views on e.g. an android tv device using the directional keys on the remote?
(I guess this is a similar problem to enabling touch controls on a touchscreen device.)

I haven’t got this to fully work yet, but I would imagine you could set a script to change views and place the button on the UI so you can scroll through them

Edit, now the interaction part would probably not work. But maybe one of the much smarter people out there could answer that better then me!

exactly what I am doing

1 Like

Ok, but this would be super awkward in case I want to do something like scroll through the options for an input select and activate one of them. (It would require a separate view for each of the options!)

hey mate - did you ever figure out how to cast the camera feeds? i am stuck in the same issue where everything works except from live camera feeds (which i can see well in the lovelace card (as a picture-entity with camera_view set to live). thx!