Home Assistant CLI working, Web UI not

Looking for some guidance here.
As of today my Home Assistant installation is no longer loading the Web UI.
I’ve got a HAOS installation running in an Oracle VM Virtualbox on a Windows PC. This setup has worked fine for months and I haven’t changed anything with it recently. Had to reboot the PC today for other reasons and since haven’t been able to get the HA GUI back.

What’s working:
Home Assistant it loading/booting fine. VM starts. CLI finishes loading.
I can run commands from the CLI; tried doing an OS downgrade and then upgraded again. No difference.
Cloudflared Plugin is running - I can access a few web apps through https that are only configured through the HA Cloudflared plugin so I know HA is running.
I can ping both my ha.mysite.com and homeassistant.local

What’s not working:
The Web UI is not coming up whether I use a hostname or an IP address

Open to thoughts and suggestions.
One idea of mine is whether IP6 might be causing an issue. Is there a way for me to disable it for my HA installation from the CLI?

Previously I was getting the 502 Error, Bad Host error.

Occasionally instead I get the HA Unable to connect message when attempting to load the GUI:

For anyone that finds this thread:
I wasn’t able to find a solution to getting the UI to start up again.

All I could do was restore from backup until I was pretty much back up and running to how my Home Assistant system was before the issue occurred.
From the HA CLI, I had to learn how to locate my Home Assistant backup “slug” numbers, and restore a slug of my choice from the CLI. I found that restoring an older FULL backup file was the only way to get access to the HA Web UI again, restoring more recent partial backups were not making a difference. Once I had access to the UI, I then selected other partial backups I had & restored them to eventually get my system working again.

Good learning lesson - I’m going to do more frequent manual FULL backups of Home Assistant as I’m now weary of how the system may becoming unavailable due to random updates without my direct input or intervention.

I make automatic full update every night. I don’t trust partial backups, so i don’t use them. Space is cheap these days… i use samba backup addon.

1 Like

I backup the Windows 10 device that my VirtualBox runs on. Already got that under control. But now I want to automate the Home Assistant backups themselves. HA takes a backup when most changes are made (Add-on installation, etc.) but in my backup list there wasn’t anything but one FULL backup I took a while back after figuring something out. I’ve yet to find a a spot within HA to run those type of FULL backups regularly but that’s what I’d like.

Also, you mentioned SAMBA - I just found out about that yesterday, so I’ll be implementing that Addon soon. I definitely want the functionality to get at my HA files from Windows.

For scheduling full backup locally, you can simply make an automation. The backup action is under other actions/home assistant supervisor if you use the gui. There also an excellent addon for Google drive backups, with scheduling.

1 Like