Home Assistant Cloud Alternatives

No clue, I have Amazon Alexa, not Google home… It does work with Alexa.

It’s not…
@iDVB you can use this:
https://www.home-assistant.io/components/google_assistant/
It work just fine, but you have to make ha accessible through internet via a secured connexion (duckdns + let’s encrypt, for example).

Another option is installing an android app, I didn’t test this solution but read about it on the forum a few days ago.

Yes, I’m aware of the GA component. However, I’m not comfortable with exposing things sitting on my home network.

Up until about 2-3 weeks ago I was happily using the emulated_hue component (+ setup with android app) but either I broke something or philips/google closed the door on that option.

What I’d love is a DIY HA cloud option that I could host on my own cloud provider.

Sorry if this is a noob problem, but I tired to set up the latest mike-grant haaska and when I run the test function on the lambda function I get the following error:

{
“errorMessage”: “404 Client Error: Not Found for url: https://xxxxx.duckdns.org:8123/api/alexa/smart_home”,
“errorType”: “HTTPError”,
“stackTrace”: [
[
“/var/task/haaska.py”,
“event_handler”,
“return ha.post(‘alexa/smart_home’, event, wait=True).json()”
],
[
“/var/task/haaska.py”,
“post”,
“r.raise_for_status()”
],
[
“/var/task/requests/models.py”,
“raise_for_status”,
“raise HTTPError(http_error_msg, response=self)”
]
]
}

I am not too surprised, because when I try in my browser to access my Home assistant instance using the external URL:8123/api/alexa/smart_home I also get the 404 not found error. However, I can access the external URL:8123 to bring up the Home assistant console as expected. It seems like I have not enabled the api/alexa/smart_home api in Home Assistant. I put the alexa: keyword in the config file. Is there something else I missed?

Thanks for you help.

Hello
I have setup haaska and seems most of it working. I got switches, scenes, TVs etc available through Alexa
I am having troubles with my climate control (2GIG / Zwave).

Hasska does not see any climate at all during the discovery session, even when tested directly in Lambda
Anybody seen this?
Suggestions for debug?
Thanks

My climate works great with haaska. I can say “Echo set heater to 65” and it updates my zwave thermostat. So at least be assured that it works somewhere…

Basic sanity checks: If you check your entity list (< >) does your thermostat show up? Also does it show as a climate type? Something like “climate.thermostat_heating_1” ?

Again probably obvious, but have you made sure it’s not hidden in your customization file?

climate.thermostat_heating_1:
  haaska_hidden: false
  friendly_name: Heat
  haaska_name: Heater

Ryan
Thank you for your reply.

Yes my thermostat shows up: as climate.2gig_technologies_ct80_thermostat_heating_1
I can control it within Hass.io.
However does not show up in Lambda after discovery request, and thus in Alexa.

My customization is:

climate.2gig_technologies_ct80_thermostat_heating_1:
  friendly_name: Heating
  icon: mdi:thermometer-lines

I do not have haaska_name: Heater But I assume will take the default value

Tx

To add more configuration information:

Working: Scripts, Scenes, Automation, switches, media players, TV
Not Working: Climate

I have ZWAVE thermostat, i added a manual thermostat. Both of them are not detected by haaska.
Anyone having the same issues?
Do we have any steps i can take for debugging

The version of haaska you are using is the newer one based on the new home assistant cloud functionality. Currently this doesn’t support climate - see https://www.home-assistant.io/cloud/alexa/ for list of supported domains.

Thank you. This explains it… I assumed the newer versions would have more functionality than the old.

Should i be using:
auchter/haaska

Is this supporting the Climate? Any drawback using this one?
What’s the recommendation?

Haaska is not outdated - you just need to follow instructions VERY carefully. I set it up just yesterday. It works exactly like Home Assistant Cloud“Unfortunately” it works even better because I don’t suffer the same issues as I did with the HA Cloud i.e. “Kitchen is not responding” - having to restart my HA server just to get the integration with HA Cloud up and running.

I would gladly pay 5$ but a year, but if for 5$ I would get much more .e.g (any 1 at least):

• Cloud storage,
  • Camera backups,
  • Full maintenance/support of my HA setup.

Guys at HA keep up the good work, I love your project! But do please revise your business model…

2 Likes

My sentiments exactly. The model has to change. I’d rather pay for the year and the price has to match the value.

1 Like

Same here, Netflix at 8$ is just a little over this, and I feel that Netflix provide much more than what this cloud function is currently offering.

1 Like

I agree, $5 is way too exspensive for a simple message relay…

2 Likes

Do you know if Haaska can be used for Docker on a Synology or is it only for the pi?

I also agree. The business model will not work.

1 Like

Haaska is completely independent of what you run HA on.

Right, but the issue is that you cannot run “make” on HASSio.

Yes, good spot. Anyone know how to install Haaska on Hass.io if we can not run ‘make’?

You need to run ‘’make“ on another separate host. Then upload that file to Amazon. A little more complicated but you can make it work…