Home Assistant Cloud Alternatives

Not what he asked!

1 Like

Again, you don’t install haaska on the device you have hassio on, it runs on Amazon servers.

The ‘make’ part also completely separate and is literally just to create a file that you need to upload and can be done on any device that can run linux. I did it in Terminal on my MacBook Pro, takes no longer and is no more involved than if you did it on a Pi running a flavour of linux.

That makes sense, thanks for clarifying the process.

The only reason I am not using home assistant at the moment is I live somewhere where there is only mobile Internet so need the cloud connection to connect into the server as no ip address as behind a double nat so none of these alternatives will work either I don’t think as they rely on a ip address or a dns. I really wish the cloud aspect was not so expensive the openhab one is free so I am having to use that one out

Which means that OpenHAB are making their money elsewhere, because somebody has to pay for these services.

Now, if you can afford a low end virtual machine on Digital Ocean, Google Cloud, Azure, AWS, etc, then you could set up a reverse proxy there, and have your local setup VPN to it. That would give you a fixed address remote systems could connect to, which from the perspective of your system would be on your home network (thanks to the VPN).

I am happy to pay for something that I can afford the home assistant cloud works out at 60 pounds a year which is way more than any other cloud access service I have used vpn stuff on the raspberry pi before but I’m unsure how reverse proxys work but thanks for the answer it’s worth looking into even if I don’t understand it fully yet. I really like the platform I just can not justify the cost for only cloud access.

May I know what are you using?

At the moment I’m using openhab and it is doing everything that home assistant does but it’s a pain in the bum to get working and as been far harder to set up and use. I did use home assistant but as I live on a boat we have Internet from a mobile phone and part of what I wanted was to monitor it when away also we like alexa. So I do need the cloud access. Which works great with both of them and I would pay if it was lower. I just need to work out how reverse proxys and cloud servers work and this is an area I have never done before. Hope that explains it better

if you want voice control without internet, you can give Snips a try. It may not work as good as Alexa in terms of hearing your commands and harder to setup, but it works wonderfully without Internet.

You can also consider Telegram for notification. It doesn’t need you to expose your HA to the internet (no port forwarding and DDNS is necessary).

Does Haaska work with Google Home/Assistant? Anyone tried setting up something similar or is the google_assistant component the best way still (aside from the cloud component?). I want to avoid exposing my HA instance to the outside world.

Haaska is an Alexa skill :slight_smile:

Anything with this functionality will need access to the outside world, that’s where Google Assistant and Alexa ‘live’.

Oh, I see. Thanks for clarifying.

By exposing to the outside I meant opening a port which is required for the Google Assistant component.

I wanted to start a quick convo here, after reading release notes to what is coming down the pipe for HA.

It looks like the basic authentication option is to going to be slowly phased out, meaning sending a simple password in the headers or in the request is most likely not going to be possible for a long period of time.

With that said, has anyone started looking at adding OAuth2 to their Lambda Proxy, when connecting with HA? Personally, I appreciate that they are adding in better security, but it will make the code for the lambda proxy a little more complex.

I wrote my proxy in Node.JS 6.1, but may consider re-writing it in either NJS 8 or Python 3.6, while including OAuth2 support…

Were you able to get this to work, as I am experience the same problem. I am trying this with duckdns and letsencrypt, but I keep getting the same error as you and have tried different iterations of the config file

Sorry, No. I gave up on it.

@mskressin

I had the same 404 error pop up when I was working on this. I was using the custom skill before which only requires alexa: in the configuation.yaml file.

The smart home haaska skill requires a bit more in the configuration file like below. The /api/alexa/smart_home URL doesn’t exist without the smart_home portion in the configuration.yaml. The /api/alexa URL is for the custom skill which is not haaska.

alexa:
  smart_home:

…as listed in here : https://www.home-assistant.io/components/alexa/

Anyway, this is definately not an easy thing to setup for HASS. I looked for some good documentation or a how-to video but didn’t find anything. The best docs I found was the haaska wiki page.

hi does anyone have a clear set of instructions in how to set up an alternative for home assistant cloud and integrating alexa, i have been montioring the project over the last few months and there does not seem to have been any improvement with HA cloud so an alternative would be great. thanks

I am using Hasska. Instructions are long but do work. I think you can also find a youtube video to help - it is probably a bit dated now but the process for setting up an Alexa skill remains the same.

1 Like

thank you for that i have got lost in all the different ways that this could be done and just need to try one and see if i can get it to work. i need to do a fresh install of home assistant on a seprate pi to try it all out

Haaska isn’t on your Pi, it only exists in Amazon’s universe, you then talk to it the same way as the HA Cloud.