Home Assistant Cloud Alternatives

I looked up some tutorials and all odf them mentioned, that you’ll need a credit card for Amazons AWS. Since I’m from Germany (credit cards are not the standard way to pay here) I don’t have one. So I guess Haaska (as well as HA Cloud) are not an option for me. I wanted to give Emulated_Hue a try but I heard that the new Alexa API won’t work that well with it.

Are there any suggestions?
Thank’s a lot.

Seems to accept my Visa Debit card OK. Will confirm once my subscription starts :slight_smile: .

i still can not understand how to get this working properly, or which method can work without knowing your home ip address. its the only thing that i dont understand and even though i have read lots of different things it seems that i can only use home assistant cloud to connect to my set up behind a double nat on a mobile carrier.

does anyone have something that i could use to connect or use alexa?

Debit card used successfully now a paid up user :slight_smile:

I have had a look at the installation instructions for Haaska.

Unfortunately, it seems to be written with an assumption of prior knowledge, which I do not have.

Is there a bus drivers guide out there? By that, I mean a guide that anyone, even a bus driver, could pick up and be able to follow.

Perhaps good alternative would be another smart home hub, that has Alexa, Google Assistant integration build in?

Do you know any cheap with Home Assistant integration as well?

I was in contact with the developer of Haaska last Sunday. He wants to update the instructions to make it more understandable and adjust it to the new AWS GUI.

I didn’t have any prior knowledge, just applied a bit of logic and common sense to it and an hour later it was up and running. Like 90% of this stuff it’s much easier to just work your way through for real rather than try to understand it first.

If it doesn’t work for you you haven’t lost anything apart from a bit of time.

1 Like

Stuck at step 3. It tells you to enable Alexa. It gives a link. you follow the link, which gives an example configuration, but explains nothing about that configuration and how to customise it for your own setup.

So no, it really is for those with prior knowledge.

It really doesn’t, as I said I had none, so it must be one of the other two requirements I mentioned you’re lacking :slight_smile:

Seriously though, that page tells you everything you need to know in simple terms, cut and paste into your config, change example entities to yours, restart HA, that’s as simple as HA gets!

As I said, there is no explanation in either the HASS documentation or haaska documentaion regarding the configuration.

Then step 4. What URL? There’s no information as to whether the local URL is OK or whether or not some form of dynamic DNS hostname is required with corresponding port forwarding in place if the HASS installation is on an internal network. Also, the keys in the config file is different to what is the instructions:

url, bearer_token, debug, ssl_verify, ssl_client

vs

url, password, debug, ssl_verify

etc., etc., etc.

Yes I am extremely logical. Yes, I have loads of common sense

Take it from someone who writes installation documentation as part of their every day job - the instructions are just complete shit.

No one said they weren’t, that’s why you have to fill in with those other skills but given you’re reluctant to I’m out.

The dev has said they’re going to write a new idiot’s guide so if you hang on a bit you should be sorted.

Then you would be perfect to help with writing manuals for HA. That is always the problem with open source

someone who writes writes installation documentation as part of their every day job yet has little knowledge of the subject they have trying to work with and makes comparisons. yep that gonna work. good luck

Done. haaska installation

1 Like

Actually, I have intimate knowledge of the particular systems I design and build, which is why I can write the documentation for them - Documentation that can be used by almost anyone

What I don’t have intimate knowledge of is AWS, HA and haaska. However what I do know is that up until 5 minutes ago, the only documentation that existed for installing hasska was utter crap. That has now changed.

So pull your head in.

Well done. I dont use any kind of cloud connection for my home automation but I gladly pay 5 usd to Nebo Casa. I cant see any reason why the core developers should pay the cost for running the cloud, forum and purchase of hardware and other things themselves. But everyone decide for themselves ofc

Its great once set-up, and after i did it I decided to fix my annoying problem of my Alexa saying my thermostats where not responding, even though they did. Problems in the HA smart_home.py. So anyone interested override the HA alexa component directory and change the smart_home.py script like like decsribed in the following https://github.com/home-assistant/home-assistant/issues/16577

#16577 is a duplicate of: https://github.com/home-assistant/home-assistant/issues/15580

There is a PR to fix it in github. The updated code hasn’t been merged yet but it works fine.

great looking forward to the merge :slight_smile: