Home Assistant Code of Conduct 2.0

On January 21st, 2017, Home Assistant announced we had implemented a Code of Conduct. Using this blog post, we’d like to inform you we are updating our Code of Conduct.

Why a Code of Conduct?

Our ever-growing community, consists of people from all over the world, and we want to ensure our community is a harassment-free experience for everyone, regardless of age, body size, visible or invisible disability, ethnicity, sex characteristics, gender identity and expression, level of experience, education, socio-economic status, nationality, personal appearance, race, religion, or sexual identity and orientation.

The Code of Conduct describes what type of behavior is considered unacceptable in our community, how we will enforce violations of it and how one can report incidents.

This keeps our community open, welcoming, diverse, inclusive and healthy.

What has been updated?

Our code of conduct is adapted from the Contributor Covenant, which has been implemented by over 200,000 open source projects around the world. They have been updating it to version 2.0, and Home Assistant will now follow up on that.

In general, not much has changed compared to what we already had. Mainly wording has been improved. The main change would be the addition of enforcement guidelines. This helps the Home Assistant members, contributors, moderators, admins and maintainers in how to apply enforcements.

Moving forward, this updated Code of Conduct will be active for all projects, social channels and community communication channels of the Home Assistant organization.

Read our Code of Conduct

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.home-assistant.io/blog/2020/05/25/code-of-conduct-updated/
6 Likes

Is no aprobiat term for humans

1 Like

I agree that “race” is a loaded term and can have a negative connotation. However, I don’t feel it’s used in a negative manner in this case, so I don’t take offense. If the authors want to explore some other options, there are some alternatives mentioned at the end of the introduction here: Race (human categorization) - Wikipedia

P.S.

aprobiat

(appropriate :slightly_smiling_face:)

not an :slight_smile:

Although I have no beef with the code of conduct, this again illustrates a certain trampling of the community. If this is the community code of conduct, where was the community discussion or consultation? Explained in following post.

The COC was updated to be less ambiguous about including the forums. While the forums were always included in the COC, now it’s written in a way to reflect that. The COC is largely unchanged. You’re welcome to view the change set.

Yeah you are right, that doesn’t need consultation. Cheers for the clarification.

1 Like

But people can be discriminated against for putting pineapple on pizza or for using tabs in the code, right?

1 Like

Both are good cases for discrimination.

1 Like

So from now on an ill written tutorial will be considered a breach against the “harassment-free experience” for people with a lower “level of experience”! :wink:

1 Like

That is a particularly egregious offence if not quite up there with using caps…

2 Likes

Mixing tabs and spaces in python causes exceptions.

1 Like

I happen to love pineapple on pizza. And tab is the only indentation method.

I seriously do love pineapple on pizza though…

You are clearly being discriminated against because you haven’t had a reply for 6 days.

Oh bugger.

Clearly :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes::joy: