Home Assistant Community Add-on: AdGuard Home

If the clients only have one DNS IP address then yes your internet will go down. Looking at the FritzBox setup that may be the case but to be sure you will need to check what DNS server info the clients actually have. How to do that varies by operating system of the client…

Hello,
I have been using Adguard Home for a few months now and am very satisfied. However, I still have a few annoying points that I have not been able to solve so far.

1. If I want to update my hassos, the supervisor or addons, I always have to reset the DNS in the router first.

2. Some local domain names are not resolved in the browser. For example, I can’t call up “https://fritz.box”, but have to enter the IP.

3. VPN services like tunnelbear doens’t work, when DNSv4 server in FritzBox is set to adguard IP.

4. Similar to others here (e.g. @Makis), I only see one client in the the dashboard. One strange thing is, that it’s not the IP from the router (192.168.178.1), but the IP 192.168.0.0. The second strange thing is, that I have entered the IP of adguard (192.168.178.42) as the DNS server in every single client and this works for some weeks. I am not aware that I have changed anything.

I have also tried these instructions: https://docs.pi-hole.net/routers/fritzbox/
And I followed “Distribute Pi-hole as DNS server via DHCP” and “Pi-hole as upstream DNS server for your Fritz!Box”, but without success. Here are my settings:

2021-03-04_12h10_21 2021-03-04_12h09_56 2021-03-04_12h07_07 2021-03-04_12h05_45

Hey, I know it’s a long shot but is here anyone from CZ using this Add-on? I can’t make it work properly…set up on my router, DNS lists added, it displays tons of blocked requests but there’s adds everywhere! I’m at a loss… wondering whether some sort of local DNS blacklist wouldn’t do the trick.
Tried adding custom filters but so far I just managed to break some websites :confused:

Maybe this will help? https://www.reddit.com/r/Adguard/comments/g21axt/adguard_home_only_showing_1_client/

1 Like

I read the following but I can not really understand what I have to do.Can you please explain a bit more what I should do.
In my router right now I have
as primary the adguard
and as secondary 1.1.0.3 (cloudflare).
I should make as a secondary my router? (192.168.1.1)
Should I change anything else in adgurad addon?

This occurs because by default your devices go to your router for dns and you told your router to
 check your AdGuard Home so all DNS requests are coming from AdGuard Home. If you want to see 
them individually, you would need to point each of your different devices to AdGuard Home. What I do
 is AdGuard Home and primary and Router as Secondary and then have the Router primary as AdGuard Home (to catch any missed devices) and Secondary as whatever trusted DNS you use. 
So if AdGuard Home goes down, they still have DNS.
1 Like

To me it seems you have setup your router correctly but your clients are not using Adguard directly, they seem to be still making DNS requests direct to your router which is then passing it to Adguard.
So I would say either your router DHCP settings are not configured correctly or for some reason your clients are not accepting the DNS server information.
The other option you have is to turn off your routers DHCP server and turn Adguard’s on and see what happens then?

Edit: you could also try taking out the secondary 1.0.0.3 server from your router settings and see if that makes any difference

1 Like

Thank you. But no, i don’t see a solution for one of my problems there.

You can use the rewrite functionality to set this up. Look for the REWRITE section here https://adguard.com/es/blog/in-depth-review-adguard-home.html

1 Like

Unfortunately, I can’t find any documentation how to use this rewrite feature. I have tried the following entries, but without success.

Thank you for the 4.0 update!

Not sure if this belongs under here or under the Wireguard add-on, but it seems that setting the DNS to AGH does not work anymore with setting the dns to 172.30.32.1. This was kind of expected I guess with the networking changes in the AGH add-on.

What would be the correct address to give to WireGuard? Neither 172.30.32.1 nor the internal ip address of the HA instance seem to work at least in my case…

1 Like

Same issue here, wonder if there is a fix for this.

I am not able to Update to the latest Version. Nothing happens when pressing update. There’s nothing in the logs.

core-2021.3.3
supervisor-2021.03.4

Did someone else notice that v4.0 breaks IPv6 support? With version 3 I can use adguard with IPv4 and IPv6 but once I update to 4.0 I only get an IPv4 address, no longer any IPv6… I’m not really an expert in networking, how can I solve this?

Thanks for your replies :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Setting the IP of the host works for me, but did you update the clients certificates? They use the DNS that was set while creating.

Using Android you can just edit the DNS in the Wireguard app directly.

3 Likes

Indeed, re-importing the client configuration (via QR codes) did the trick when using the host ip. Thank you!

After updating to 4.0 I get this error:
2021/03/11 22:52:59 adguard home [error] Couldn’t parse config file: invalid IP address: 192.168.8.111/24 192.168.8.101

Am I the only one having this issue? 3.0 version works just fine

I am not sure as I just added fritz.box (all lower case) to my DNS rewrite and pointed it to my NAS and it worked first go. I think perhaps you need to look at why you are only seeing one client and solve that problem first and then maybe everything else will fall into place?

1 Like

hi
since you are using fritz.box like me (7530), when you have some spare time, could you post some screenshot of yours (fritzbox) setup please?

Hi @Makis if this is a reply to me sorry I don’t have a FritxBox I just used that url to make sure it worked but put my NAS IP address against it.

1 Like

Did someone else notice that v4.0 breaks IPv6 support? With version 3 I can use adguard with IPv4 and IPv6 but once I update to 4.0 I only get an IPv4 address, no longer any IPv6

Yes, I can confirm this. With AGH3 I, AGH was reachable under the IPv6 Unique Local Address (ULA), and it showed that ULA under the Setup Guide tab. This ULA could also be used in the WireGuard addon as DNS for on-the-road ad-blocking. Now with AGH4 there is only the local IPv4 address (192.168…).

The background is, that Android devices only use IPv6 DNS servers, so ad blocking does not work for Android devices, if the local DNS server is only reachable via IPv4.

Great thanks for both addons, though!

Edit: @MadMurl0c
That issue seems to be an upstream issue with AdGuard. Also see addon-adguard-home#134 and addon-adguard-home#136.

2 Likes