Home Assistant Community Add-on: AdGuard Home

Hello! I feel awful posting in here…normally, I’m really good at using Google and search mechanisms, but it just isn’t working.

I followed the guide that tells you to set Google WiFi LAN setting so the same port: 198.162.86.229.

Then, tell AdGuard to perform DHCP services using ports :198.162.86.2-198.162.86.228.

When I look at the DHCP settings, everything on my network shows up, with a new IP address. Things connect to my network. However, I can’t connect to the internet, nothing is happening.

I’d be more than happy to buy rounds/coffee/pizza to anyone willing to break some things down for getting my Hassio up and running!

Have you setup the upstream DNS servers in Adguard?

I did not. I left everything default. I also made the bonehead mistake this whole time.of not restarting all my devices and the network. Seems to be working now, except 2 things: My phone is the only thing hitting the server and my nest doorbell camera won’t connect.

Do you mean this is the only client you see in Adguard? If so you should examine a client carefully to see which DNS servers it has been given. I don’t use the Adguard DHCP server so might be not much help with that…?

Edit: And you have met the prerequisites here DHCP · AdguardTeam/AdGuardHome Wiki · GitHub

Does anyone know where to find the Adguard logfiles. According to their website there should be an export button in ‘settings’.
Can I access them via the terminal and in which location are they stored?

Cheers,
Ed

Why is there no guideline how to set up the first step add AdGuard Home via Integration?

Whats my host and port, username and password?
Is the host my local HA ip (like 192.168.178.x)? Whats the port?
And is user/pass my default homeassistant user?

Should I check “use” and “verify” ssl, or not?

4 Likes

So, I had thought it was an IP error, so I pulled my head outta my ass and changed everything…

Someone mentioned earlier about upstream dns:

The DHCP client is working in AdGuard but NOTHING is connecting to the internet

I think what you have in the upstream server is incorrect. Have a look here https://kb.adguard.com/en/general/dns-providers

It should just be the IP address

EDIT: Also your DHCP settings are incorrect. You have your Adguard server on the subnet 192.168.86.x but you are giving out clients on 192.168.83.x The 83 and 86 parts need to be the same.and it looks like they both should be 86.

I reinstalled Adguard and now everything works as expected again.

@OzGav Also rewrite works now. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Which part is incorrect? The web address is their DNS over HTTPS server, the other 2 are the general, no filter ones.

As far as handing out the wrong addresses, ie 86/83, I’ve switched that and it still doesn’t work. Nothing works, really

OK I see now. How about just simplfying it for a start. Just put 1.1.1.1 as your upstream DNS and see what happens there. Also get a client and check what DNS server it is using. For example in Windows at the command prompt type ipconfig /all

As far as I know unless “Enable Encryption” is enabled and configured in AdGuard’s encryption settings there’s no need to use a DNS-over-HTTPS or DNS-over-TLS upstream as they won’t be used. I think it will fall back to “Bootstrap DNS servers” in this case.

So if encryption is not setup I think upstream field should contain only 1.1.1.1 and 1.0.0.1 (for Cloudflare).

So, I switched the upstream server to 1.1.1.1

Ran ipconfig /all on my laptop. The DNS server it’s going through is 192.168.86.229, which is my raspberry pi/home assistant client.

OK does that mean it is working?

Nope, nothing connects to the Internet. “Connected, no internet” I’m apparently missing a setting somewhere:

Google WiFi LAN addresses set:192.168.86.229-192.168.86.229.
Pi set as static address: 192.168.86.229
AdGuard: Gateway IP: 192.168.86.1
Addresses: 192.168.86.20-192.168.86.228
Subnet: 255.255.255.0
Upstream DNS: 1.1.1.1

I don’t know anything about Google WiFi so what is this Google WiFi LAN addresses set:192.168.86.229-192.168.86.229

From your laptop can you ping 192.168.86.1

So, I think that’s where my problem is. I have Google WiFi already set up. It’s a router/mesh network. I followed this write up:https://www.mbreviews.com/pi-hole-google-wifi-raspberry-pi/

Google WiFi is super restrictive and you can’t change much. Essentially, I’m trying to bypass Google as the DHCP client and let AdGuard do the work, and block ads/content that I don’t want my kids accessing.

Not sure. That seems like it should work. Can you try and ping (from your laptop) the Rpi (192.168.86.229), Gateway (192.168.86.1) and 1.1.1.1

You can also go to HA>>Supervisor>>System and check the IP address is correct there (should be 192.168.86.229)

Edit: The only thing I can think of that has gone wrong is that the Google WiFi gave out the IP address of your RPi to something else and you have an IP conflict on your network. I am not sure why the guy in the article you linked says it is so important to have the RPi IP as the only address able to be served out. Anyone else have a clue?

I understand, in principle, why he wants the one address for the RPi. That’s so you don’t have conflicts on your network and so that GWF doesn’t give out IP addresses other than the only one the RPi is on.

I thought it might be a reset all services(switches, phones, laptops, tvs, etc.) type of problem. I threw the circuit breaker in my whole house for 30sec, thinking I would get a complete refresh, but that didn’t work.

RPi Stats.

Good idea on the reboot. If all the pings work then your network is Ok and it must be a DNS issue. Assuming that is the case, since your laptop shows it is using Adguard as the DNS then it must be a config issue with Adguard.
Of course if the pings don’t work then something is broken with your network not Adguard.