Home Assistant Community Add-on: AdGuard Home

Look like your supervisor is outdated. Make sure to update it.
If that doesn’t resolve it, please create a github issue and include your system details. Thanks.

Hi

When I install the AdGuard hassio addon and try to start it with the default DNS port (53), it fails as something else (hassio_dns) is running on port 53 already:

2019/09/06 09:10:09 [fatal] Couldn’t start forwarding DNS server, cause: couldn’t listen to UDP socket, cause: listen udp 0.0.0.0:53: bind: address already in use

I can see that hassio_dns is running on the internal IP of

nmap -p 53 -n 172.30.32.3
Starting Nmap 7.80 ( https://nmap.org ) at 2019-09-06 08:18 UTC
Nmap scan report for 172.30.32.3
Host is up (0.00012s latency).

PORT STATE SERVICE
53/tcp open domain

Nmap done: 1 IP address (1 host up) scanned in 0.09 seconds

I can get adguard to start obviously if I add a custom port to it, however my router is running dd-wrt and there doesn’t appear to be any where to add a port number for a dns server.

What is the recommended approach for the container hassio_dns when using adguard?

Many thanks

Andy

you have zerotier one installed?

I do , yes…
I haven’t used it for ages though so maybe there is something I’ve forgotten? :thinking:

(I’m thinking of moving over to Wireguard. I’m just a little nervous about opening a port on my router)

its just active.

I also installed Wireguard, maybe use Nginx or Caddy for routing Wireguard, without opening another port?

Having just moved to using Docker (on Ubuntu) I am currently trying to get to grips with that.
But thanks, you’ve given me something else to read up on!

Dear Community,

I am having trouble setting up AdGuard on my setup, which is running on Ubuntu 18.04 under Docker with the latest HA running 0.98.5.

First AdGuard would not run as port 53 was in use and I followed the solution mentioned several times above (running sudo systemctl disable systemd-resolved.service) to be able to use the port 53.

Adguard is now up and running and giving the different adresses which can be used, including 127.0.0.1. However when using this address as a DNS server, I cannot reach internet anymore. I have rebooted the router + restarted AdGuard, but without much success.

If have looked up a solution here, but could not find a way to resolve my issue. Could anyone please give me a hint to where to start looking?

Many thanks

Joe

Tried to move to static IP address on hassio through nmcli commands, but the command

nmcli connection show

returns empty, both for the SSH & terminal server, as well as on the ubuntu server.

Is there any way to have this plugin create a set of static host mappings / DNS records for hosts in my network? I was able to do this w/ the pi-hole addon and I’d love to do the same w/ AdGuard

There sure is, from within the AdGuard admin panel go to “Filters”

From there scroll down to “Custom filtering rules”

Add the IP and host name, for example:

192.168.65.100 hassio.example.com

Click Apply and you are good to go

The latest update to Adguard lets you set all this under the Clients configuration option. The filtering setting is no longer needed as long as you are running the latest version of the plugin.

1 Like

Hi @frenck
I have installed and got it up and running, i am wondering how to get the DOH working?
I got

Error: control/tls/validate | port 443 is not available, cannot enable HTTPS on it | 400
obviously something already using port 443.

I am running HASSIO in docker container, the host is OpenMediaVault.

Thanks!

2 Likes

I have a strange issue with AdGuard. When I use it as my network DNS, one or two of my devices cannot connect to certain sites. For example, I have a Tablo OTA DVR that downloads guide data once per day. When using AdGuard, that device cannot get the guide data. However, I disabled AdGuard and switched back to PiHole running on the same HA device and the guide downloads without issue. Also, if I switch my network DNS to using external DNS such as 1.1.1.1 or 8.8.8.8, the guide also downloads fine. I am fairly technical but this one baffles me. I have disabled filtering on AdGuard and it doesn’t matter. Does AdGuard cache results or provide a different output (bigger packet size) than PiHole that this device may be rejecting?

I had a similar issue with PiHole and docker recently, you have to assign a ServerIP during deployment of the container. Not sure what the method is for AdGuard but look in this direction.

1 Like

Is there any way in adguard to have it ignore Application of any rules to certain client ips ?

@johntdyer Yes. In the settings, under clients, just tell it not to use global rules and don’t enable anything else. Of course, you need to define the client in that list.

Hi,

I added Adguard addon in HASSIO, started, log seems without error, dashboard opens fine.

I do not understand how to integrate it in HASS: the integration does not popup automatically.

So I click the PLUS sign and add it manually but

under HOST, do I put 192.168.1.10 (HASSIO host IP) or xxx.duckdns.org? I have SSL false in settings so I guess 192.168.1.10
under PORT, it shows default 3000, which port shall I put?
under username and password are those of HASSIO?
AdGuard Home uses a SSL certificate. Tick or untick? I guess untick since SSL is false in my options
AdGuard Home uses a proper certificate. Tick or untick? I guess untick since SSL is false in my options

I tried a combination of above but got only error: FAILED TO CONNECT

BTW in the LOG it says
[11:26:18] INFO: Successfully send discovery information to Home Assistant

[s6-init] making user provided files available at /var/run/s6/etc...exited 0.
[s6-init] ensuring user provided files have correct perms...exited 0.
[fix-attrs.d] applying ownership & permissions fixes...
[fix-attrs.d] done.
[cont-init.d] executing container initialization scripts...
[cont-init.d] 00-banner.sh: executing... 

-----------------------------------------------------------
 Hass.io Add-on: AdGuard Home
 Network-wide ads & trackers blocking DNS server
 Add-on version: 2.1.0
 You are running the latest version of this add-on.
 System: Ubuntu 18.04.3 LTS  (amd64 / qemux86-64)
 Home Assistant version: 0.99.0
 Supervisor version: 188
 Please, share the above information when looking for help
 or support in, e.g., GitHub, forums or the Discord chat.
[cont-init.d] 00-banner.sh: exited 0.
[cont-init.d] 01-log-level.sh: executing... 
[cont-init.d] 01-log-level.sh: exited 0.
[cont-init.d] adguard.sh: executing... 
[cont-init.d] adguard.sh: exited 0.
[cont-init.d] discovery.sh: executing... 
[11:26:18] INFO: Successfully send discovery information to Home Assistant.
[cont-init.d] discovery.sh: exited 0.
[cont-init.d] nginx.sh: executing... 
[cont-init.d] nginx.sh: exited 0.
[cont-init.d] done.
[services.d] starting services
[services.d] done.
[11:26:19] INFO: Starting AdGuard Home server...
2019/09/19 11:26:19 [info] AdGuard Home, version v0.98.1, channel release

2019/09/19 11:26:19 [info] Added 7 client aliases from /etc/hosts
2019/09/19 11:26:19 [info] Start DNS server periodic jobs
2019/09/19 11:26:19 [info] Upstream 0: https://1.1.1.1:443/dns-query
2019/09/19 11:26:19 [info] Upstream 1: https://1.0.0.1:443/dns-query
2019/09/19 11:26:19 [info] Starting the DNS proxy server
2019/09/19 11:26:19 [info] Ratelimit is enabled and set to 20 rps
2019/09/19 11:26:19 [info] The server is configured to refuse ANY requests
2019/09/19 11:26:19 [info] DNS cache is enabled
2019/09/19 11:26:19 [info] Creating the UDP server socket
2019/09/19 11:26:19 [info] Listening to udp://[::]:53
2019/09/19 11:26:19 [info] Creating the TCP server socket
2019/09/19 11:26:19 [info] Listening to tcp://[::]:53
2019/09/19 11:26:19 [info] Entering the UDP listener loop on [::]:53
2019/09/19 11:26:19 [info] Entering the tcp listener loop on [::]:53
2019/09/19 11:26:19 [info] Go to http://127.0.0.1:45158
[11:26:20] INFO: Starting NGinx...
nginx: [alert] detected a LuaJIT version which is not OpenResty's; many optimizations will be disabled and performance will be compromised (see https://github.com/openresty/luajit2 for OpenResty's LuaJIT or, even better, consider using the OpenResty releases from https://openresty.org/en/download.html)
2019/09/19 11:26:22 [info] Added 12 client aliases from 'arp -a' command output

Is there a way to create an automation to add a custom filter?

My use case:
I would like to be able to block www.roblox.com after school, say from 3-6 Monday - Friday.

I can do this manually by going to filters->customer filtering rules and add “||roblox.com^”

Probably a stretch, but I know there are smart creative people in this community.

Paul

I would like to know that too,
did you figure it out?

yes, you have to look for the addon configuration folder, and check adguardhome.yaml inside its written which is the real port