Home Assistant Community Add-on: motionEye

No longer experiencing this issue from upgrade to v0.5.3 & HA update to 0.97.2. :+1:

I am trying to start this but am getting the below error. Running this on a Pi Zero W which may be the issue, but I’m only using it for motion detection on one camera and webhooks to another HA instance so should be able to handle this.

[s6-init] making user provided files available at /var/run/s6/etc
exited 0.
[s6-init] ensuring user provided files have correct perms
exited 0.
[fix-attrs.d] applying ownership & permissions fixes

[fix-attrs.d] done.
[cont-init.d] executing container initialization scripts

[cont-init.d] 00-banner.sh: executing

[cont-init.d] 00-banner.sh: exited 267.
[cont-finish.d] executing container finish scripts

[cont-finish.d] 99-message.sh: executing

s6-maximumtime: warning: child process crashed
[cont-finish.d] 99-message.sh: exited 111.
[cont-finish.d] done.
[s6-finish] waiting for services.
[s6-finish] sending all processes the TERM signal.

I’m not really sure what this means, can anyone help?

Thanks

Jonathan

Pi Zero W

Sorry to hear that, but I’m not putting any additional time in that. Pi Zero W has its place, but running add-ons is (IMHO) not one of them. I’m happy to accept a PR for fixes, but not going to investigate.

Thanks, @frenck, and completely understand.

I’ve abandonded this idea now, will use the Pi Zero for Pi-Hole, as that is all it seems powerful enough for!

Frenck
you sound like an awesome bloke.
I have a small issue that I am not sure how to get around.
I have succesfully integrated motioneye into my hassio setup. Setup is hassio supervisor 181 on linux Ubuntu 18.04.2 LTS| running on intel nuc. lovelace front end.
everything is recording well etc using some old foscam cameras.
The issue I have is with the view from frontend. see attached images. When i click one each camera I see the live image. How do I have the camera show the last saved image (or snapshot).
You can see from the images - taken almost the same time that motioneye shows the images. these are not however passed through to the front end. The front end is a picture.entity card
Weird thing is that when away from home and looking at hassio through nabucasa I see all the cameras.

i know it’s something simple but bugger me if I can find it.

:tada: Release v0.5.4

Full Changelog

This is a general maintenance release.

:hammer: Changes

• :arrow_up: Upgrades nginx to 1.16.1-r0
  • :arrow_up: Upgrades add-on base image to v4.1.1
  • :ambulance: Fixes path handling for SSL certificates
  • :hammer: Use Hass.io DNS as NGinx resolver
  • :arrow_up: Upgrades ffmpeg to 4.1.4-r0

Questions? Join our Discord server! https://discord.me/hassioaddons
Enjoying my add-ons? Consider supporting my work: https://patreon.com/frenck

So I’m looking into buying a NUC and getting started with Home Assistant. I will run HassIO directly on it (no Ubuntu, yes I know it’s not that clever but want it simple) and I’m looking for a way to have security cameras upload videos to my NUC when motion is detected. I then want to be able to see the video files from HA when away from home.

Questions:

1. Is this the software I should go with and does it solve my needs?
  2. Can the IP camera be disconnected from the internet and I will still be able to record to my NUC and live view when away from home?
  3. Is RTSP the only thing I should be looking for when trying to find a camera fitting my needs that works well with motionEye?
  4. If I have 4 cameras, is a Celeron NUC with SSD and 4 GB RAM enough?

Sorry if question four is slightly of topic, hope to get some help understanding if I’m think this right. Thanks.

MotionEye will be perfect, it’s what I use with the same HA installation method.

Yes

This will work fine

I’m using a Celeron NUC with 8GB RAM recording 2x IP cams on motion only (but at full HD resolution, 10FPS) and it sits on 60% CPU usage, RAM about 40% from memory. I have been considering upgrading to an i7 NUC because ideally I’d like to record at a better frame rate but I don’t want the NUC too strained
 it ramps up to about 90% CPU when I ask it to update add-ons etc.

1 Like

Thanks @sparkydave for taking the time to answer my questions! Sounds like motionEye is the way for me to go once I have the hardware in place.

Final question is about using the cameras “motion trigger” to trigger the recording in motionEye. I found this on Reddit and it got me think what to look for when buying a camera:

I would make sure the camera has motion detection and exposes a “motion detected” signal so you could use it in HA to trigger (Tensorflow) [motionEye in this case]

So is RTSP simply enough or do I need to look for something else to make sure that the motion triggered by the camera is registered by motionEye in order to start a recording? I will not record 24/7, just when there is a motion.

You don’t need to find cameras with in-built motion detection as MotionEye will do this for you. I simply use the motion detection provided by MotionEye and it seems to work well. I only record on motion. You can also get MotionEye to send ‘motion detected’ signals / triggers to HA for use in automations

Alright, but then the camera needs to stream to my NUC constantly? Feels unnecessary to put that load? I imagined that the camera would detect motion and tell motionEye to start recording? That way the NUC and motionEye will only take action when a motion is triggered by the camera.

Is that doable?

IP cameras provide a stream to be available on the network. It’s then up to the ‘viewing’ device to look at that data or not. Yes, for MotionEye to use it’s built-in motion detection, it needs to be ‘watching’ the stream constantly, hence my NUC’s 60% CPU usage at ‘idle’
 The cameras I have do support their own motion detection but I haven’t looked into how to integrate that with MotionEye. Probably something worth looking at I guess.

1 Like

Alright, thanks! Makes sense.

If anyone knows if my scenario is doable please let me know: That the camera send a “motion triggered” alert to Home Assistant / motionEye and that triggeres motionEye to start recording. I also want to be able to view the stream “on demand” meaning that motionEye get’s the stream when I ask for it and show me the live feed from the camera (without having my NUC to constantly read the stream putting pressure on the processor).

Really nice addon!

I have problem with the motion detection treshold, I got motion all the time, right now im up at 6% and getting detection all the time (have an outdoor dahua camera). What threshold is working for you guys? Any tweaking you can recommend (i have edit a mask)?

:tada: Release v0.5.5

Full Changelog

This is a general maintenance release.

:hammer: Changes

• :arrow_up: Updates motioneye to v0.41 (#50)

Questions? Join our Discord server! https://discord.me/hassioaddons
Enjoying my add-ons? Consider supporting my work: https://patreon.com/frenck

1 Like

Just installed
 the component is fine and opens
 it just wont accept my cameras
What Cameras are supported? Is there a list?
I’m getting this

NotSupported
for this camera
REOLINK RLC-420-5MP PoE IP Camera 5MP HD Video Surveillance

Does your camera support RTSP?
Try with that using the correct port and channel or stream number.

Hi,
how I can install motioneye witchout hass.io store ? ( I don’t wan’t use all hass.io system )

Here you have instructions how to install on different OS and also on Docker

Google search your Camera model + RTSP stream address.