motionEye is a popular frontend to the camera software called motion. This add-on provides both, allowing you to add your camera’s to your Home Assistant setup.
motionEye is Open Source CCTV and NVR, that is elegant and really easy to use. It can be used as a Baby Monitor, Construction Site Montage Viewer, Store Camera DVR, Garden Security, and much more.
Some cool features of motionEye:
- Support for a ridiculous amount of cameras, including IP cams.
- Add multiple cameras by hooking up multiple motionEye instances together. For example, by using MotionEyeOS on a Pi Zero + Pi camera in your network.
- Supports uploading recording into Google Drive and Dropbox.
- motion detection, including email notification and scheduling.
- Can record continuously, motion, or timelapse, with retention settings.
The installation of this add-on is pretty straightforward and not different in comparison to installing any other add-on.
- Search for the “motionEye” add-on in the add-on store and install it.
- Start the “motionEye” add-on.
- Check the logs of the “motionEye” to see if everything went well.
- Click the “OPEN WEB UI” button!
- Login with username “admin”, without a password.
- Edit your admin account with a secure password!
You can always try to get support from the community here at the Home Assistant community forums, join the conversation!
Questions? You have several options to get them answered:
- The Home Assistant Community Add-ons Discord chat server for add-on support and feature requests.
- The Home Assistant Discord chat server for general Home Assistant discussions and questions.
- Join the Reddit subreddit in /r/homeassistant
You could also open an issue on GitHub, in case you ran into a bug, or maybe you have an idea on improving the addon:
- Open an issue for the addon: motionEye
- For general repository issues or add-on ideas open an issue here
At this moment our Home Assistant Community Add-ons Discord chat server and GitHub are our only official support channels. All others rely on community effort.
Repository on GitHub
Looking for more add-ons?
The primary goal of our add-ons project is to provide you (as an Hassio / Home Assistant user) with additional, high quality, add-ons that allow you to take your automated home to the next level.
Check out some of our other add-ons in our Home Assistant Community Add-ons project.