Home Assistant Community Add-on: motionEye

Hello, i an make my web cam datected, in hassio hardware pc usb cam its detected but in motion not!!! How can i do?

Thnkx

Hello, is it possible with motioneye to activate streaming with a button on hassio and with the alarm panel card to activate motion detected?
Thanks

SparkyDave
I would like to get this happening as well. I have a 4Tb drive which is mounted on my hassio (running on ubuntu 18.04).
All the docs and other helper forums state that the drive should appear on the drop down list of storage spaces. Iā€™m not that familiar with linux to be able to plot the path as a custom one.
If you or any other bright spark works this out Iā€™m keen to hear.
Patrick

I started trying to get this working yesterday and I think I got part of the wayā€¦ Iā€™m no Linux expert by any means, not even a beginner!

I did manage to ā€˜mountā€™ the external drive by SSHā€™ing into Ubuntu by following a guide online.

sudo fdisk -l                   # this will show you your drives
sudo mount /dev/sda1 /mnt       # use the correct drive in your instance where I have sda1
cd mnt
sudo mkdir cctv                 # here I have created a directory on the external drive called 'cctv'

this is as far as I got. I need to work out how to get Ubuntu to mount the drive automatically on boot. I found a guide for doing it via the Ubuntu GUI but that means setting up a monitor etc on my server which I canā€™t be bothered doing right nowā€¦ or using a remote desktop connection, but that failed last time I tried.

Perhaps @nickrout can help us as he is a Linux guru :grinning:

You are overly generous @sparkydave, but I will look into it.

1 Like

to mount a drive autmatically on boot you need to edit /etc/fstab. For heavenā€™s sake back it up first.

sudo cp /etc/fstab /etc/fstab.bkup
sudo nano -w /etc/fstab

You will need to add a line something like this:

/dev/sda1 /mnt fstype defaults 0 2

fstype is the filesytem type, like ext4, msdos, fat32, vfat, whatever. If you need a hand finding that for your drive let me know.

Thanks, Iā€™ll give it a try. Is this likely to cause issues starting if itā€™s somehow wrong? or will the external drive just not get mounted?

Put it right at the end of the file so that root (/) and any other drives get mounted before an error occurs :slight_smile:

You can test it before you reboot.

sudo umount /dev/sda1
sudo mount -a

will be a good test. This will unmount the manual mount, then it will try to mount everything in /etc/fstab. Anything already mounted (like /) will be ignored, and your external drive should be mounted.

By the way you might like to think about mounting this somewhere under /mnt, like making a sub-directory like /mnt/external before proceeding too far along this line. It gives you a chance to mount other stuff later, like /mnt/external2 or whatever.

1 Like

Nickrout
I think Iā€™m a part way through this. I have my external drive already mounted on ubuntu. Iformatted it as ext.
Should I then unmmount it and follow your example? Iā€™m like Sparky Dave - no linux knowledge here.
I read somehwere else about editing the etc/fstab file.
What I read mentioned that you need all sorts of drive info like UUID and stuff.
I didnā€™t read too much because as soon as linux guys start talking about mount points and other things my eyes glaze over.
Patrick

How can i record on demand a usb camera?
I have tried a script with service: camera.record but iā€™m getting this error:

Record Living Room: Error executing script. Unexpected error for call_service at pos 1: camera.living_room_camera does not support record service.

Thanks

Do you know if I should see the external drive in the Home Assistant / Supervisor / System / Hardware menu straight away or would I need to reboot or restart HA? So far I have mounted the drive and edited the fstab but Iā€™m not seeing the drive in the ā€˜Hardwareā€™ screen in HA.

If you want it mounted at boot up then you should use /etc/fstab

I was going to come back and demonstrate UUIDs so thanks for the prompt.

You arenā€™t guaranteed that a particular drive will always be /dev/sda or /dev/sdb or whatever - they get dynamically allocated by the kernel, and this can lead to errors. You are safer to use the UUID of a partition in /etc/fstab as the UUID will never change. To get the UUID of your drive use (as root) blkid

nick@nuccy:~$ sudo blkid
/dev/sda1: UUID="E6DE-9856" TYPE="vfat" PARTUUID="b60c4f7a-87eb-44fa-8b83-4cb43c76050d"
/dev/sda2: UUID="8a2c9b59-bc8b-11e8-ac82-b8aeed7723bf" TYPE="ext4" PARTUUID="c2048222-9062-43b0-a37e-0a7c49057b9e"

Then, instead of /dev/sda1, use the UUID in /etc/fstab, like

UUID=8a2c9b59-bc8b-11e8-ac82-b8aeed7723bf / ext4 defaults 0 0

I do not know as I do not use hassio or whatever it is called this week :slight_smile:

Apologies Nickrout. Youā€™re probably working to support your family. I realise that this is a hobby.
Iā€™ve got a similar question to Sparky Dave.
When I look at my current hardware - nothing shows in disk. (piccy)
Does that mean that I should add the disk that hassio is running on first in the etc/fstab file?

would the fstab then be more like this?

UUID=d3fc08f0-b117-4489-90a4-50233ae46989 /mnt/external ext4 defaults 0 2

sorry to be taking up your time

yep looks good. And donā€™t worry about it guys. If I get too busy, you just wonā€™t get a reply!

HI just a question around the sidebar icon visibility.
With the new user control ie user group or admin group, the motioneye sidebar only shows for admin is their a way around this, As I am keen to start using users but all my users need to be able to seem motioned

Thanks

Hello,
In a few days, my cameras in lovelance are asking for authentication everytime I enter on that panel.

Below you can see the config on MotionEYE. And I copied the ā€œEmbed URLā€ and pasted on iFrame.
I tried too the ā€œStreaming URLā€ but it didnā€™t work.

Did anyone have this problem?

Hi,
Iā€™m having the same error, but Iā€™m using Home Assistant on Raspberry, and 0.8.0 of motion eye addon.
I only installed the addon, nothing more.

Thanks

The way I found to solve this, is going to ā€œGeneral Settingsā€ on motionEye addon, and leave the Admin and Surveillance passwords empty, and then Apply button.
I donā€™t know if this is seccure, but it is how I solved this.