Home Assistant Community Add-on: motionEye

I assume you want to use SMB, please provide your config in motionEye.

Thanks for the reply.
Yes I thought SMB was the only option for a network share?
Do you mean this config?
motion_webcontrol: false
ssl: true
certfile: fullchain.pem
keyfile: privkey.pem
actionbuttons: []

I meant that configuration:

Oh sorry itā€™s here:

I think the Root Directory is the issue.
192.168.1.1 is the server
video is the share
I canā€™t figure out what you want to achieve with the Root Directory since it just points to a folder in the share. The naming of the folders in that share seem strange to me.

Do you really want to store the files to:
192.168.1.1/video/volume(sdb1)/Home re....

I think you want:
192.168.1.1/video/Home recordings/Front Door

So Root Directory should be /Home recordings/Front Door

EDIT:
Did you already try other Protocol Versions? Maybe your router doesnā€™t support the latest ones.

EDIT 2:
Iā€™d be cautios with regular write operations to USB thumb drives, they are not made for that and wear out quickly becoming inaccessible some day.

1 Like

Hereā€™s the router settings.

Ideally i just want 192.168.1.1/Home recordings/Front Door

Ive tried all the protocols but the same error with all of them.
Yes i did wonder about that but ive got it set to record on motion only and the settings are very low sensitivity so it only records about 6 or 7 things a day. Do you think that will be ok?

the share name is sdb1

the root directory is Home recordings/Front Door - you may need to put quotes around that.

Beyond this, this isnā€™t really a home assistant problem.

1 Like

Woohoo, that worked! Had to put share name in as volume(sdb1) but finally connected!! Thanks for the help Nick and @eXtatic

1 Like

OK I was a little confused at what your app was saying, but glad you got it working!

So when you go into explorer you see a share named motioneyeos directly in the computer 192.168.1.16?

Have you tried a subdirectory inside the share?

What do you see when you click ā€œTest Shareā€.

Depends on many factorsā€¦ mainly the quality of the thumb drive (flash chips and firmware) as well as the capacity, write cycles and amount of data written over time.
I canā€™t recommend one but share my bad experiences. I already destroyed some SanDisk Cruzer Fit 8 GB in my FreeNAS by writing the logfiles to them.
I also destroyed a Transcend JetFlash 780 16 GB with Timeshift in my Enigma Set Top Box.
Youā€™d consider both as misuse of USB Thumb drives but I was young and needed own experience. :wink:
I switched to SSDs for both use cases and theyā€™re doing fine ever since.

Ah ok then. Itā€™s a 128gb usb 3 SanDisk ultra, itā€™s getting maybe 10 images and short MP4 wortten to it daily as itā€™s only set to record on motion so Iā€™ll see how it goes I guess! Wasnā€™t too expensive so if it dies Iā€™ll get a ssd to replace it! Still trying to figure out a way to get notifications with an image at the moment, any tips?

Hello every one!

Iā€™ve just bought Hikvision DS-2CD2T22WD-I5 camera.
i have acces to live view through iexplorer http://192.168.0.118/doc/page/preview.asp
I try to this cam to my fresch instaled MotionEye on HassOS 4.11. But motioneye shows me this ā€˜not a supported network cameraā€™
Przechwytywanie
Is there list of supported cameras? or what functionality not support motioneye?
so i can check it before buying a new one. or Iā€™m doing something wrongā€¦

Found solution. Input in URL field ā€œrtspā€ insted of" http". Now I start playing with functionality of this add-on :smiley:

Question: is possible to set motioneye accessible for all Hassio users, not only with admin rights??

1 Like

Has anyone had trouble with motionEye recording movies? It was working fine for 4 months and then 2 months ago, it quit. The only thing is records is JPG pictures. I havenā€™t changed my config at all.

Any ideas or help would be most appreciated.

Yeah, same here. No local or cloud saved files. Havenā€™t had time to investigate.

Iā€™ve tried everything I could think of. All of this is running in docker in a VM with Fedora Server 32 as the guest and on the host.

1. Was using SMB to access the drives on the vm host. Pointed the path to space within the VM to see if using the network was an issue. It didnā€™t record any movies, only stills. Another failure.
  2. Created brand new VM w/Fedora Server 32. Installed HA using the supervised install script. Initialized HA and installed motionEye. Configured motionEye, added 1 camera, turned on text overlay, still images, movies and motion detection. Both still images and movies were to trigger on motion detection. Files path was custom to inside the VM. It didnā€™t record any movies, only stills. Failure again.

I donā€™t believe it has anything to do with Fedora Server 32. All instances are up to date.

If you have any other suggestions, Iā€™ll try them. Iā€™m hanging on the the new VM for now for any additional test that can be tried.

Hi,

So im a little lost on the need for this mainly for an RTSP point of view, I have added 3 IP cameras to my configuration file and all work streaming fine.

What would installing this addon achieve for me would it help with load etc etc or is it just to use the added functions of motion detection etc?

Thanks

Adam

I think for the easy interface, motion detection, snapshots, recording clips. I havenā€™t compared cpu load.