Home Assistant Community Add-on: Pi-hole

Have you got your Nest thermostats working? For some reason this add-on breaks the nest component for me, or at least it causes the component to fail to load when I restart Home Assistant (see below). The thermostats themselves are connected to the internet. I’m not sure whether this has to do with how the nest component is configured, which involves creating a developer project and entering a generated PIN when the component is first configured.

Nests

So far this is the only issue I’ve encountered, everything else about this add-on is fantastic.

Thank you so much frenck! This solved the issue for me as well! Since I’m not super familiar with resin-OS it also took me a while to understand what file was meant with resin-sample but with the help of google, I found below resin documentation that explained it better

Additionally, I want to thank you so much for all the effort that you put into this! Just awesome! Thanks!

I’m planning on documenting this better since it causes a lot of issues. For me, it is like “normal” and logical.
As a developer/dev-ops engineer it is easy to lose track of your users (and their knowledge levels). So, this feedback really helps me improving the user experience.

3 Likes

I had the same problem. The nest doesn’t work anymore because installing this plugin disables the internet connection. Without an internet connection you can’t control your nest.

The sollution is (as stated many times in this topic by Frenck) to set a static ip. (Make sure that your dns server is NOT the ipadress of your raspberry)

Gr Peter

I’m having a strange problem with the Pi-Hole add-on. If I start the add-on, then the cloud config doesn’t load up. Also the (yr.no) weather symbols do not show. Here’s the strange part though. If I disable pi-hole through the pi-hole dashboard, the problem with the cloud and weather symbols remain. However, if I completely disable pi-hole add-on through HA then, the cloud and weather symbols load up with no problems. I’m not sure how to fix this

Update: I have a static ip set on my R.P.

And also a non Pihole DNS? Thats the point!

ok, now it’s fixed but that is interesting because the ResinOs instructions say the exact opposite. They say to enter your Pi’s ip address if you intend on using it as a dns server.

Normally it should work. It think it has something to do with the Pi-Hole addon.

To follow up with this nest issue. The workaround I’ve come up with is just uninstalling and reinstalling the add-on. As long as you give enough time for the add-on to load correctly, it doesn’t seem to interfere with the nest component when restarting HA.

Rebooting the pi, however, does break the component, and once the component is broken, you’ll have to reinstall to get it working again. I think the issue has something to do with the Nest API authorization (I deleted my nest.conf file and couldn’t get the component configured via PIN while pi-hole was running), but I’m not sure.

I’m just using the DHCP server on my router to reserve the ip address of my pi and set that ip address as the primary DNS. That seems to work fine without messing with the sd card.

Again,

you have to set a manuell DNS on your hassio pi that is NOT your pihole IP.
If you use your DHCP so set an DNS, your raspberry get this ip too.

No you don’t. Pi-hole is working fine (outside of the nest issue which is not a huge deal since I rarely have to reboot my pi). I had a hell of a time trying to set a manual IP and DNS on my sd card through the resin-sample file, and figured I’d spare some people the trouble. DHCP ip reservation and DNS setting through router works just fine.

1 Like

question - i am looking to flush some logs (broken graphs) and change some iptables settings - is there a way to make these changes in the docker itself?

iptables tweaks: https://pi-hole.net/2018/02/02/why-some-pages-load-slow-when-using-pi-hole-and-how-to-fix-it/

@frenck I’ve previously used the ‘regular’ version of Pi-hole on a Raspberry Pi, and now trying to set it up through Hass.io.

I exported my settings from the previous (regular) version of Pi-hole and am trying to import them to the Hass.io version. If I go to Pi-hole > Settings > Teleporter, select my exported file then click on Import it opens up a new tab in Safari at hassio.local/admin/scripts/pi-hole/php/teleporter.php. But that page is blank and does nothing.

Is the reason it doesn’t work because I exported from a different version of Pi-hole (and will only work exporting/importing from the Hass.io version?) Or should it successfully import the settings from the ‘regular’ version?

Edit:
After a while the page that’s initially blank displays the text ‘Wrong token’.

Hi,

same problems here with Nest Protect and Weather sensors.
Uninstall piHole solves the situation for now but is not an option.

I think piHole is needed, I’m trying to install again. Setting up Dns manually and screening on block logs, after a week from 0.63.3-4 release of HA this nest and sensor bug is confirmed.

If buying a pi zero w dedicated to pi hole is not an option, try to reinstall pi hole, setting dns forced to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 in the pi hole config itself then setup dns primary in dhcp of your router with the ip of the HA (make the ip static both in router’s mac address reservation either in resinOs lan config).

I will let you all know guys

cheers

I’m seeing the same here - if i hit using hassio.local/admin or pihole/admin teleporter throws the 500 error, or bad token

I was hoping to export my config and reinstall, but i guess ill have to sit tight.

1 Like

Is there any documentation regarding where the pi-hole settings files (i.e. whitelist.txt) are? I’d like to back them up.

With this addon is possible to use DNS and DHCP? And pihole web interface?

Yes it is.

Cool. But where to put the files for static IP address?

I use pihole on a different pi3, and those files are in /etc/dnsmasq.d

would like to use HASSIO, but need to have easy access to this location. OR to put easily IP addresses in configuration somehow.

How is it now?

This is what @jono and i are discussing - you back them up with Teleporter in the config section, but that seems to be broken at the moment.