Home Assistant Community Add-on: Portainer

Hy guys, noob here so please be gentle. I’ve installed Portainer, it works ok but I’m unable to download any image: the image is downloaded successfully but I cannot find it in the available images. What I’m doing wrong?

Another noob question, just playing with Home Assistant OS on Pi 2 and Nuc for a few weeks now (installed both with an image from the getting started guide).

Considering running HA OS and pihole on the NUC. If I installed HA OS via the getting started guide (https://www.home-assistant.io/hassio/installation/), and I use this add on, will that provide me docker functionality?

I know it sounds stupid however I found some complex guides to run HA from a docker, just want to check if this allows me to run the HA OS image and run docker images on top of that.

The portainer add-on says “Manage your Docker environment with ease.”, so it comes down to: do I have a docker environment already?

probably mixed up the correct naming of the different HA versions.

1 Like

How do you access this Portainer directly, without Ingress? I’m thinking of merging my two servers into one, but Ingress means if HA is down, you lose access to all your add-ons. Some add-ons allow the ability to directly expose the port, but I can’t see that as an option here, and the default portainer port of 9000 is not opened.

Edit: it seems like this add-on has gone out of its way to limit peoples access to Portainer direct? All my other addons expose a port like this:

Okay, I see this was raised as an issue by others but immediately shot down. At least the ticket raiser got a chance to ask why before the issue was closed (not uncommon for issues to be shot down with no explanation!).

I was looking to move everything into HA but this is a great warning example of reasons not to, with add-ons in particular you’re really beholden to a single persons architectural view. And the their promise that HA “should” always start! :slight_smile:

Current addon version is on v1.24.0, latest is now v2.1.1, any news on this?

Maybe to avoid outdated software, the addon can mirror the direct instance within HA somehow?

2 Likes

So I’ve got portainer running successfully in my Home Assistant VM but I’ve also got portainer running in a different docker setup in a different VM. How do I connect the secondary pertainer setup so I can see and restart containers that are running in the secondary VM from within portainer in Home Assistant? Trying to add an endpoint with the docker api using the same IP and port I’m able to access the second portainer from in a web browser but I get no success.

I don’t run the Portainer addon as I was already running Portainer when it became available and I have the direct Portainer running in a side panel as an iFrame which works perfectly.

It seems like that addon uses the noauth flag to avoid needing an authentification through ingress. However this flag was removed from version 1.24. Updating the addon would require to add an authentification layer - although I’m sure it is possible if only slightly more cumbersome.

@hazio
Hi, I’ve created a fork on my repo with :

• version 2.1.1 (will automatically be updated with latest version)
  • true webUI
  • ingress
  • ssl
  • password setting through addon option

Authentification is with name : admin, password can be set in addon options (default is “default”, changing password resets the portainer database)

5 Likes

I tried install Portainer 2.1.1-dev2 from alexbelgium repo, but no luck at this time. I have running with no issues the Portainer 1.x from the official repo, but not the newer version. I tried to run both version at the same time as well as only the newer one, etc. I always can get only the same message at each attempt (not sure is this any significant error though) rm: can’t remove ‘/data/portainer.db’: No such file or directory, and soon after container is restarting, again and again. If you want see full container logs, repeating in the deploying cycle, then https://pastebin.com/Pjyw26WG here you go. In the following location /usr/share/hassio/addons/data/db21ed7f_portainer there are only two files options.json portainer_password, so this conatainer don’t even install all the files. Any idea? I will test the other containers from tha repo, hopefully they will work, but Portainer 2.x is something what I was waiting for… so, I am bit disappointed with this problem.

1 Like

Hi @Robbb , I pushed a version 2.1.1-dev3 that should solve your issue. I suppose the password that you selected was interfering with the automatic password reset (that causes the removal of this dB)

Edit : a dev4 was pushed that solves a start issue if ssl is not enabled

Confirmed as working :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@alexbelgium It is working now like a charm. Thank you very much for your effort.

1 Like

Hi, sorry for posting what might seem like a very basic issue.

I have installed Deepstack in a docker container using the portainer add on for HA. Basically ive followed the steps from this video exactly: Build The BEST Security Camera NVR: Free Locally Processed AI Computer Vision with Blue Iris. - YouTube

the container is running and I can access ‘host_ip/5000’ and get the blue deepstack screen so all good there.

However when I follow the steps here: Face Detection and Recognition with Home Assistant and Deepstack - YouTube to setup the HA custom component for face recognition I get a 403 error in portainer.

So the request to run the face detection gets to my docker container but the docker /portainer instance returns 403.

This is a typical docker log file entry I’m getting:

[GIN] 2021/05/24 - 13:44:13 | 403 | 38.886µs | 172.17.0.1 | POST /v1/vision/face/register

Has anyone come across a similar issue in portainer? Im guessing this is related to my portainer config rather than the container itsself.

@Jafterdark I followed your vid on this. I noticed a couple of people in the comments seemed to have the same issue?

Can confirm I do get the deepstack splash screen when I goto localip/5000 on a browser.

New version of the forked addon : updated to 2.6.3

Repo : alexbelgium/hassio-addons: My home assistant addons (github.com)

Addon fork features : ingress ; webUI ; ssl ; password setting through addon option

Changelog : Releases · portainer/portainer (github.com)

I have portainer running elsewhere on my network (on a QNAP, not on my RPi used for Home Assistant).

@alexbelgium Is it possible to use this add on so that I can manage the HA docker images through the portainer instance I already have?

Thank you,

James

Good question that I don’t have a response for. The docker endpoint is at “/var/run/docker.sock”, however I’m not sure how to access that from network!

HassOS I am currently running is read only system by default. I can install any official or unofficial app from HA repos added, but I can not install exactly the same app from the Portainer’s App Templates option.

I guess it is just matter of proper configuration in the Portainer for /config in the deployed container mapped to /portainer/Files/AppData/Config in the Host. Once it fails I am getting info like this
error while creating mount source path ‘/portainer/Files/AppData/Config’: mkdir /portainer: read-only file system

Looks like somebody before me tried this and it is not possible Redit link

Hello, I have a fresh install:

Add-on version: 1.5.1
You are running the latest version of this add-on.
System: Home Assistant OS 6.2 (aarch64 / raspberrypi4-64)
Home Assistant Core: 2021.8.3
Home Assistant Supervisor: 2021.06.8

When I try to click on “primary” I get the following error:

Failure

Unable to connect to the Docker endpoint

Endpoint /var/run/docker.sock was not changed.