Home Assistant Community Add-on: SSH & Web Terminal

not particularly…

The ssh addon will let you create directories in the VM. I use root in the addon and also compatibility mode. I use Winscp and Putty. Do those not work for you?

ssh addon provides access to homeassistant container file system. not hassos file system. Anyway thanks for your help. appreciate it.

Hello All. This seems like a great addon which I would like to use. However, I have a pure python install of homeassistant from pypi in a python virtual env (thus, without docker). Is there any chance I could run this, or is docker/hassio really required?

You need a supervisor enabled installation to be able to use add-ons, sorry @Wavemaker

Just installed hassio Rasp 3, Looks great. installed local ip to see what my IP is. Got 192.168.1.182
Added SSH Terminal, installed fine (after turning on Advanced).
Getting the following error when I press Terminal
“502: Bad Gateway”
I click Logbook but nothing is there.

Where do I look for an error log and what is the solution?

Thanks
ps just got the following

Log Details (WARNING)

Logger: aiohttp.websocket
Source: /usr/local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/aiohttp/http_websocket.py:571
First occurred: 12:18:25 PM (9 occurrences)
Last logged: 12:47:23 PM

websocket connection is closing.

Perhaps this means something?

Give it some time…it doesn’t work immediately. Also…important…your mac address may change very time you reboot…and if you are using ssh you want a fixed address. The solution is in this thread:

I am no fan of this addon. It clobbers any sshd_config changes, actively tries to keep port 22 from opening and overall doesn’t behave like SSH in the slightest.

After a great deal of cajoling, I was able to get this to work remotely.

Calling this SSH in its current form is inaccurate. It acts as a simple local terminal at best right now without massaging it in non-standard ways.

I’ve come to HA from Smartthings based on the initial appearance that it was superior. The deeper I dig, the more I find that that appearance isn’t accurate. Everything is buried in crpytic configs

Hi!

It’s working when I use a password, but I can’t connect if I use a “authorized_keys”.
When I copy my public key (generated last week with PUTTY (windows) and working with the other SSH add-on (uninstalled before to install SSH & Web Terminal) and past in the configuration, between [] (or the SAVE button is not available), it automatically write it like that :slight_smile:

authorized_keys:
- >-
AAblablabla…
sftp: false

I SAVE and RESTART, then when I try to connect with the username, I got this error in PUTTY :

server refused our key

I tried different things, and I don’t find anything working on internet.

Please, do you have any idea?

If it won’t save maybe formatting?

ssh:
  username: root
  password: ''
  authorized_keys:
    - >-
      ssh-rsa

No, I found !

The connection was refused, I had this error message : “server refused our key”

It’s because the first letter of my login was uppercase (and however I wrote like that when I tried to login).

Thanks.

Anyone know how to format the pasted in key to get it to save and be usable? Need valid yaml. Can’t find any examples or information on how to format. I like this in example from the Home Assistant Add-on: Terminal & SSH documentation page:
" ```
authorized_keys:

• “ssh-rsa AKDJD3839…== my-key”
Whomever wrote that honestly think that's helpful? Can someone post a dummy key that shows how to past this?

2 posts up I posted my working example…

Thanks but I don’t see that under the Supervisor>Dashboard>Add-ons>Terminal & SSH>Configuration. I see this:
authorized_keys: []
password: ‘’
server:
tcp_forwarding: false
Paste in the key with nothing but key, it’s “valid YAML” apparently but SSH kicks up “Server refused key”. This is the most troublesome SSH setup I’ve ever seen.

Can you do a screenshot of the ssh settings. Also what port are you mapping in the network section?

Can I just load the key file somewhere on the Samba share? This configuration interface is pretty awful. Especially with the half-assed documentation they provided.

It’s working.

Good work. The config I shared was for the Community Addon not the core one I see here you are using.

Is the Community version a better choice in your opinion?

Yes. It’s also the subject of this whole thread.