This add-on allows you to log in to your Home Assistant instance using SSH or a Web Terminal, giving you to access your folders and also includes a command-line tool to do things like restart, update, and check your instance.
This is an enhanced version of the provided SSH add-on by Home Assistant and focusses on security, usability, flexibility and also provides access using a web interface.
This add-on, of course, provides an SSH server, based on OpenSSH and
a web-based Terminal (which can be included in your Home Assistant frontend) as
well. Additionally, it comes out of the box with the following:
- Access your command line right from the Home Assistant frontend!
- A secure default configuration of SSH:
- Only allows login by the configured user, even if more users are created.
- Only uses known secure ciphers and algorithms.
- Limits login attempts to hold off brute-force attacks better.
- Many more security tweaks, this addon passes all ssh-audit checks
- Passwords are checked with HaveIBeenPwned using K-anonymity.
- Comes with an SSH compatibility mode option to allow older clients to connect.
- Support for Mosh allowing roaming and supports intermittent connectivity.
- SFTP support is disabled by default but is user configurable.
- Compatible if Home Assistant was installed via the generic Linux installer.
- Username is configurable, so
rootis no longer mandatory.
- Persists custom SSH client settings & keys between add-on restarts
- Hardware access to your audio, uart/serial devices and GPIO pins.
- Runs with more privileges, allowing you to debug and test more situations.
- Has access to the dbus of the host system.
- Has the option to access the Docker instance running on the host system.
- Runs on host level network, allowing you to open ports or run little daemons.
- Have custom Alpine packages installed on start. This allows you to install
your favorite tools, which will be available every single time you log in.
- Execute custom commands on add-on start so that you can customize the
shell to your likings.
ZSH as its default shell. Easier to use for the beginner, more advanced
for the more experienced user. It even comes preloaded with
“Oh My ZSH”, with some plugins enabled as well.
- Bash: If ZSH is not your cup of tea, Bash can be enabled again, which
includes Bash completion for both the Home Assistant CLI and the Home Assistant Core CLI.
- Contains a sensible set of tools right out of the box: curl, Wget, RSync, GIT,
Nmap, Mosquitto client, MariaDB/MySQL client, Awake (“wake on LAN”), Nano,
Vim, tmux, and a bunch commonly used networking tools.
- Has the Home Assistant CLI (
hass-cli) command line tool pre-installed and
- Support executing commands inside using a Home Assistant service call, e.g.,
for use with automations.
The installation of this add-on is pretty straightforward and not different in comparison to installing any other Home Assistant add-on.
- Search for the “SSH & Web Terminal” add-on in the add-on store and install it.
- Configure the
- Start the “SSH & Web Terminal” add-on.
- Check the logs of the “SSH & Web Terminal” add-on to see if everything
Please read the documentation for more information about the use and configuration of this add-on.
You can always try to get support from the community here at the Home Assistant community forums, join the conversation!
Questions? You have several options to get them answered:
- The Community Hassio Add-ons Discord Chat server for add-on support and feature requests.
- The Home Assistant Discord Chat Server for general Home Assistant discussions and questions.
- Join the Reddit subreddit in /r/homeassistant
You could also open an issue on GitHub, in case you ran into a bug, or maybe you have an idea on improving the addon:
- Open an issue for the addon: SSH & Web Terminal
- For general repository issues or add-on ideas open an issue here
At this moment our Home Assistant Community Add-ons Discord chat server and GitHub are our only official support channels. All others rely on community effort.
Repository on GitHub
Looking for more add-ons?
The primary goal of our add-ons project is to provide you (as an Hassio / Home Assistant user) with additional, high quality, add-ons that allow you to take your automated home to the next level.
Check out some of our other add-ons in our Home Assistant Community Add-ons project.