Home Assistant Community Add-on: Visual Studio Code

Thanks for this. Just migrated from hassio to HA and this was the last “addon”.
All perfect.

Since the 0.108 or some update of vscode, I don’t know which one made the change. I updated all kinds of things last week. But anyway, since then I’m getting this cannot reconnect error constantly. Driving me nuts. Anybody familiair with this and how to solve it?
vscode cannot reconnect

1 Like

Is this issue on Github already?

The same thing started up with me. I tried a million things… uninstall/reinstall vscode, didn’t matter if I was using my Chromebook or Windows 10. Finally, I used the IP address of my HA instead of the FQDN and it worked. That lead me to my pfSense configuration. Sure enough, my Let’s Encrypt cert had renewed about 48 hours prior, meanwhile Netgate just released an update to their ACME service plugin. I updated the plugin, hit the button to renew my certificate, powerwashed Chrome just to be sure, and it’s happy again.

Thank you for the insides. And that sounded like a million things indeed :joy:
Though I don’t have any DNS working for me I always use ip’s for everything. But I can try and see how vscode is connected. Where can I find that?

@Emphyrio, no not yet. If I can’t solve it I will post is there. It is here.

Solved it by reinstalling the add-on.

Anyone else having issues with the VScode addon trying to reload?

When opening via ingress it will function fine. However, when I open another tab with my UI it wants to reload. It initially pops up in the lower right and then will eventually pop up a window and the window gets refreshed.

Running 109.1 and latest version of the add-on.

I am also having intermittent connection issues with my ISP so not posting an issue on the github unless I know its not just me.

Yes. Constantly wanting to reload/dropping out. Running Supervised 0.109.0 and latest version of the add-on.

Are you using nabu casa? If so try by direct ip.

No

I’m connected locally to the machine.

Ok. Thanks for the input.

If I can find some time I’m gonna try and downgrade and see if it persists.

1 Like

Are you two also talking about this issue?

No, this is requesting a reload. Not a connection issue. Thanks for helping though! I hadn’t seen that error.

After a more stable connection today (ISP had a maintenance outage last night) and an upgrade to 109.2 this doesn’t seem to be happening anymore.

I have been trying to add the VS add-on, but when I search fr it it appears greyed out and does not allow to be selected, I am running HA on a PI standard install.

If you read the documentation, you will see that it is not recommended for installation on a Pi, except for possibly a Pi4 wilth 4GB of RAM:

Known issues and limitations

• This add-on currently only supports AMD64 and aarch64/ARM64 machines. Although we support ARM devices, please be aware, that this add-on is quite heavy to run, and requires quite a bit of RAM. We do not recommended to run it on devices with less than 4Gb of memory.

Is there any way to debug against the running instance? Is there a process to attache to?

1 Like

Also is there a way of getting my SSH key so that I don’y have to start the ssh-agent every time I restart the add-on. I’ve added a start of the agent, and addition of my key into the init commands, but that doesn’t seem to have them working inside VSCode.

EDIT: Figured this one. I just needed to generate a new ssh-key, it didn’t seem to be able to use one named github_rsa, it needed id_rsa.

@frenck sorry to bug you with this question: can this Add-on be installed on a regular PIP (global app) installation of Home Assistant on Ubuntu? Hass.io wasn’t yet out when I started and I never really migrated to it. Been kinda nice being able to control 100% of my destiny. However, seeing awesome/seemless addons like this VSCode sure makes me wish I switched to hass.io at some point. I do use HACS but didn’t the VSCode package available. Thank you!!!

Add-ons are only available on Home Assistant or Home Assistant Supervised installations. Home Assistant Core installations don’t have the Supervisor program and thus are not capable of running add-ons.

@frenck thanks a lot for the quick and accurate reply! I’ll try going down the docker route for HassIO. Time for me to migrate…

I have loss to ability to use cmd+/ on Mac to comment out a block of text in VSC add-on since the 0.110.1 update

Anyone else experience this or am I doing something wrong?