Home Assistant Community Add-on: Z-Wave to MQTT

Thank you! I stopped the “Z-Wave” control panel, but I forgot all about deleting the Integration!

Hi All,

I am just about to go heavy into the z-wave path and was very interested in using this (vs. the generic Z-Wave in Hass).

I’ve seen a lot of benefits of having this as a stand-alone container (i.e. restarting HASS won’t cause lots of reconnections etc) and connectivity to Node-Red (I use this for all my complex automations)

Anyone whose switched from the in-built or compared have a view on the upsides?

One of the main reasons I switched over was to relocate the zwave usb stick. My machine running hassio is in the basement so I installed this on a pi and put it in the middle of the house connected via ethernet.

No delay added at all and my connectivity issues are almost all fixed. Still need to do some digging in that area. Used to have issues getting my zwave network back up and running after tinkering with home assistant but that is no longer an issue thanks to the separation.

Thats a great idea, i’ve got a spare RPi lying around - did you install the community add-on or the source (https://github.com/OpenZWave/Zwave2Mqtt)?

Originally I planned on running hassio on the pi and installing it via the add-on, but realized later that the add-on had a few issues. Although those may be fixed by now I’m not sure. I really had no need for a separate home assistant instance so I just ended up installing it via docker.

Ive been very impressed with the additional stability afforded when using Zwave2mqtt. I’m still developing my system quite rapidly so HA gets restarted somewhat frequently. I’m running open-wave 1.6 and run with zwave2mqtt 2.0.3 both built form source and they’ve been reliable with 20~ish devices.

Is anyone else having issues with their configuration not saving. Whenever I change node settings like group interval, reporting time, binary sensor reporting etc, on a restart it defaults back to the old values. I also often have to restart the compent 3-4 times for all 6 nodes to come back online with the correct/full configuration.

It works well once it gets its shit together but it can be very frustrating!!

Whenever I change node settings like group interval, reporting time, binary sensor reporting etc, on a restart it defaults back to the old values.

@daan_vb:

Are you speaking of changes internal to the device? Are they battery powered? The battery powered zwave devices only listen to configuration changes when they are awake, and then only for a few seconds. I find I need to do it repeatedly to catch that window on some devices (notably zooz). I take my phone with HA displayed and the change ready to go, a paper clip in hand, and wake up the device and hit the submit button. I have yet to determine if it is better to submit first, or wake up first, but if I do it repeatedly it will usually take anywhere from the first to about the fifth try. A restart of HA is not necessary to see it, the node will refresh in a few moments, or just switch to a different node and back (but give it maybe a minute).

It’s a real pain actually – another zwave device I got has a case, and when open it simply stays awake so you have a user controllable window. But some are very, very brief.

@D85rNxd were you able to see all your devices in the control panel of zwave2mqtt? I tried it just recently and only awake devices (e.g. line powered not battery) would show up. I did it with the add-on version on top of hassio, not building from scratch though, which is why I am curious.

@Linwood

Are you speaking of changes internal to the device? Are they battery powered? The battery powered zwave devices only listen to configuration changes when they are awake, and then only for a few seconds. I find I need to do it repeatedly to catch that window on some devices (notably zooz). I take my phone with HA displayed and the change ready to go, a paper clip in hand, and wake up the device and hit the submit button. I have yet to determine if it is better to submit first, or wake up first, but if I do it repeatedly it will usually take anywhere from the first to about the fifth try. A restart of HA is not necessary to see it, the node will refresh in a few moments, or just switch to a different node and back (but give it maybe a minute).

It’s a real pain actually – another zwave device I got has a case, and when open it simply stays awake so you have a user controllable window. But some are very, very brief.

Yeah the devices internal settings. The devices are all mains powered, x2 Multisensors (ZW100) connected via USB, x2 Smart Socket (ZW096) and two nano switches. Previously I just used the Zwave config and updated the settings in there and it retained the values.

Powered items should work immediately. Sorry, no idea then.

yeah, all my devices show as expected, polling works fine also which Ive experimented with. It did take a while for it to settle so dont go restarting it every 30 seconds!

I migrated everything over from the native Z-wave platform last week. Works very well so far, and allows my z-wave network to stay up despite HA reloads.

1 Like

Yes, I’m aware, I gave it hours. I think some bug was introduced, as I had tried it some few weeks earlier and it worked fine (that part did, I had trouble with discovery and punted then). Maybe worth another try. I’m now using a usbipd based server which works fine when running, though on restart of HA it sometimes fails requiring manual intervention. It’s a bit kludgy, so this is rather attractive, though I do wonder if introducing a mqtt layer really is wise either.

I sure wish Hyper-V would allow USB mounts. :frowning:

I am still having trouble understanding how to set and trigger automatons with scenes.

When I double tap down from my switch I get this in the logs

OpenZWave Detail,
OpenZWave Info, Node006, Received Central Scene set from node 6: scene id=2 in 7860 seconds. Sending event notification.
OpenZWave Warning, Node006, No ValueID created for Scene 2

How and where do I define this scene to trigger an automation?

:tada: Release v0.4.0

Full Changelog

This is a general maintenance release.

:hammer: Changes

• :arrow_up: Upgrades add-on base image to v5.0.1
  • :arrow_up: Upgrades npm to 10.16.3-r0
  • :arrow_up: Upgrades nodejs to 10.16.3-r0
  • :arrow_up: Upgrades openssl to 1.1.1d-r0
  • :arrow_up: Upgrades Zwave2Mqtt to v2.0.4

Questions? Join our Discord server! https://discord.me/hassioaddons
Enjoying my add-ons? Consider supporting my work: https://patreon.com/frenck

Is the underlying openzwave version of this add-on the same as the one integrated in HA?

ou can install it with 1.4 or 1.6, your call. I’m using 1.6 without problems.

Has anyone tried using GE Zwave fan switches?

How? I’ve been trying to figure this out for the better part of this morning!

:tada: Release v0.4.1

Full Changelog

This is a general maintenance release.

:hammer: Changes

• :books: Component > Integration (#15)
  • :arrow_up: Upgrades nginx to 1.16.1-r1
  • :arrow_up: Upgrades Zwave2Mqtt to v2.0.5

Questions? Join our Discord server! https://discord.me/hassioaddons
Enjoying my add-ons? Consider supporting my work: https://patreon.com/frenck