Home Assistant Community Add-on: ZeroTier One

Should anything follow this line in the log?

[09:15:40] INFO: Starting ZeroTier One...

My Hass Pi was once accessible (the day I installed it) but now on the ZeroTier dashboard it says last seen 8d ago. Unsure what else I can debug.
Have tried a full restart of the Hass base OS (not just Hass itself). I thought it might be because I’ve installed PiHole and I know some Hass addons can have problems with PiHole but this PiHole install isn’t a Hass addon it’s hosted on a separate LAN device.

Hi, if I remember correctly we have a similar setup: Hassio on a NUC with Caddy hassio addon, and PIVPN (mine pivpn is on same LAN but separate pi3 that runs also pihole).
Beside being able to access Hassio from abroad, I do like the possibility of browsing abroad without ads (connecting with pivpn to my LAN which uses pihole, although not perfectly stable).

Try to understand this Zerotier what additional benefits it brings.

Can I now remove Caddy, remove port forwarding, remove piVpn, and just use Zerotier?

Beside Hassio when not in my LAN

In your case if you are not using web hooks or any service like Google Assistant manual integration then you would have no reason for Caddy most probably.

I don’t even know what a web hook is :smile:

I do use Google Home to control some HASSIO devices (around 50 between lights, locks and switches).

Sometimes I need to connect to a QNAP inside the lan.

The best solution I found is piVPN, all other solutions would break frequently

Well VPN isn’t going to work with Google Home and neither will ZeroTier… If you are using Nabu Casa / Cloud - different story.

I used ZertTier last week on my mobile phone which does not have IPv6 and it was great. Works perfectly.

Sorry I was not clear. I don’t need Google Home when I am away from home…

It has nothing to do with being away from home! Google Assistant Manual Configuration REQUIRES an externally accessible SSL address such as provided by LetsEncrypt and DuckDNS. You can’t set up the GA integration without that. Nabu Casa integration does not require that.

Hi, I am trying this too, but its not working, could you please lead me a bit?

My internal LAN is 192.168.1.xxx (from 1 to 254)
The LAN I created in ZeroTier (under Advanced - Manage routes) is 192.168.192.0/24

I wanted to access from abroad various devices within my LAN: all devices for which I installed Zerotier are accessible with 192.168.192.yyy (yyy I setup in Zerotier configuration, one for each device).
So this is fine.

But I can’t get this bridging to work, in order to access from outside my LAN those devices that I can’t install Zerotier on (cameras and so on).

I followed the instruction to install zerotier on a raspberry pi3 (BTW thanks for the working curl).

In my case is it correct the following config in /etc/network/interfaces? 192.168.1.237 is the address of the pi3. Or I did something totally wrong?

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet manual

auto br0
iface br0 inet static
        address 192.168.1.237
        netmask 255.255.255.0
        network 192.168.1.1
        broadcast 192.168.1.255
        gateway 192.168.1.253
        dns-nameservers 127.0.0.1
        dns-search pi.lan
        bridge_ports eth0 zthnhn7lko
        bridge_fd 0
        bridge_maxage 0

If your home lan is 192.168.1.x then your zerotier network needs to be set on the same subnet (192.168.1.0/24) BUT issue IPs out of the scope of your home routers DNS.

For example:
My home router issues IPs on my home network from 192.168.1.100 - 192.168.1.254

Zerotier issues IPs on the zerotier virtual network from 192.168.1.50 - 192.168.1.99

Therefore, there will never been an IP auto assigned in the zerotier network that already exists on my home network.

Hope that helps?
Also, I believe your interfaces file looks correct but as I’m running on 36 hours without sleep due to jetlag I may need a second person to confirm that.

Then rest, not urgent, thanks for answering anyhow.

I followed thIs guide

and I understood (maybe wrongly) that your/my usual internal LAN (for example 192.168.1.x) has to be different from the one created by Zerotier (for example 192.168.192.x),

and then if you want to access from outside your LAN the devices in your internal LAN (those 192.168.1.y that do not have a zerotier app), it is needed a (for example linux pi3) bridge to bridge 192.168.1.x with 192.168.192.x

but I get confused when you say that zerotier network is now on the same 192.168.1.x …??

My ZeroTier network is on a completely different subnet to my LAN at home… Perhaps your issue is with bridging… but I don’t think networks overlapping or using same subnet is correct.

isn’t (that’s my scenario)
192.168.1.x (my LAN)
192.168.192.x (the LAN created by my Zerotier)

a different subnet?

Sorry I am not very good in networking.
When Zerotier is active I can , outside of my LAN, connect to all devices that I put in my Zerotier LAN (those devices have now 2 addresses 192.168.1.x and 192.168.192.x) perfectly at 192.168.192.x.

But I can’t reach my other devices (those still in 192.168.1.x for which there is no zerotier code/app to put them also in 192.168.192.x) like hikvision cameras, qnap (the zerotier qpkg connects but does not work), a NVR that I use for cheap cameras, and other

Love this Zerotier, highly recommended, also together with pi-hole (no more ads also when browsing in 4G)

Compared to piVPN-openVPN I find Zerotier much better: with piVPN had lots of disconnections (when passing from WiFi to 3G/4G, from 3G/4G to WiFi, from waking up the phone, and so on). With this Zerotier is not missing a beat, connection is rocksolid so far, no discnnection at all.

Now just wish to fix the bridge, so that I can connect to all my devices at home, when abroad as when at home.

Fantastic tool.

I’m using proxmox too, can I Update HassOs via the system tab?
I’m receiving this error:

19-05-11 21:29:31 WARNING (MainThread) [hassio.hassos] Can’t fetch versions from https://github.com/home-assistant/hassos/releases/download/2.12/hassos_ova-2.12.raucb:

Hi guys. I have successfully setup ZeroTier and have a small network of three devices (laptop,phone, and Raspberry Pi). On an IPv4 wifi network I can reach all devices without issue, however, when I switch my android phone to LTE I can no longer get to any of the other devices using IPv4 addresses (I have Home Assistant running on the Pi and cannot access the web interface). If I switch back to a Wifi network (any wifi network) it works. My android phone is using a provider (Telus, here in Canada) which only supports IPv6 in the APN settings. Is there a way I can get this working? I tried to use the device’s IPv6 address directly in Chrome, but it is still not working. To be clear, the Pi is on a local network which only has IPv4 address assignments. Has anyone else had a similar experience? Thanks.

Does your home ISP support IPv6?

My Hass.io only has a public IPv6 address and one of my mobile providers does not support that. I use Caddy as a reverse proxy and IPv4 internally.

I’m only using IPv4 connection in ZeroTier One and it works fine on all my devices.

Just to report that uninstalling and reinstalling the add-on did the trick

I could not find a good description on how zerotier actually works.

The addon documentation does not say and also the official docs don’t say it straightforward.

However, there is a blog entry on the zerotier page that explains it in simple terms for anyone who is interested:

https://www.zerotier.com/blog/state-of-nat-traversal.shtml

Cheers

Thanks for that link. I thought the manual was pretty explanatory… but good read there. Thanks.

I’ve tried to set it up on my Hassio running on an Ubuntu server.

Both my phone and hassio are online according to the network overview, but I cannot access home assistant via https://<-zerotier-ip->:8123 from the phone.

Is this how it is supposed to work?

Another question: Is the entire host available via zerotier or just home assistant?