Home Assistant Companion Android App Release 3.0.0

Makes me want to upgrade the phone :smiley:
This hobby is getting expensive.

1 Like

I found the issue. In the previous update, I didnā€™t change the device name.

There are 7 sensors starting with sm_g981u1

battery_level, battery_state, bluetooth_connection, light_sensor, next_alarm, storage

In the next update, I changed the device name. Now, I noticed 11 sensors starting with myphone_

audio, battery_health, charger_type, detected_activity, do not disturb,
external storage, geocode location, last reboot, pressure, proximity, steps

How do I reset all these sensors?

you have to start fresh and set the device name during onboarding, then enable the sensors you want and everything will have the name you expect: https://companion.home-assistant.io/docs/troubleshooting/faqs/#starting-fresh-with-the-android-app

1 Like

Love the update and the app in general.

Any chance of getting a volume slider on the new mediaplayer widget?

Since the new app, Iā€™ve been having an odd issue. My phone, which is on the same network as HA, is unable to connect. The error I get is ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED. What am I doing wrong?

Hi, is there any option in the android app to have it installed but not controlled by the owner. I have 2 tablets for my children and I want to automate (send voice reminders) some rules. I want to use the apps voice tts for it thus it has to be installed. But since RBAC is not there and custom header was killed I want to restrict any access to the interface of the app. How can I do that?

Password protect the app.
Itā€™s in the settings.

Thats not an option if the overall password setting for the android device is not enabled (itā€™s a kids device)

I didnā€™t know that. I have just seen the setting.
But now I just tested it and itā€™s a bit odd.

When I enable the lock I have to put my finger on the reader.
But when I toggle the password off I donā€™t have to put my finger on the reader.

Generally I would say that enabling a password is less of a threat than disabling it. So shouldnā€™t the verification be the other way around, or both?

I would like to see some sort of ā€œkids modeā€/ā€œclient onlyā€ mode in which I can have the client installed but not controlledā€¦

How difficult would it be to get this app into the Amazon App Store for installation on Kindle / Fire devices (Without Having to side load the Google store bits)?

Thanks

The full version of the app requires google play services, the minimal version does not so you can install that and use it. As far as the Amazon store there are no current plans to add it there.

There is not, you will have to try a custom card approach to this. I believe there is one where you can lock the card based on the user but not sure its all custom stuff.

You have to think of the app as a webview to the frontend because that is exactly what we are, you would need to get the frontend to support something like this for it to work in the app.

What about just using a launcher where you can hide apps from the launcher? Depends on how old and how desperate to control the smart home your kids are, this could work.
You could still open the app by search OR by Opening it from the play store.

Nice workaround :-). But I would like to see an option to password protect the appā€¦ without having to have android lock.

you should consider opening a feature request and explaining what you want then

How and where?

Iā€™ve just been setting up an additional unifi camera on HA 0.117.6 (Python 3.8 venv, via Nabu Casa).

I display these cameras using a picture entity card with a live view when selected - this usually requires me to enable ā€œPreload streamā€ per card after a configuration change which it did today.

In the past this has never been an issue to enable in the mobile app, however running v3.0.2-full on a Pixel 5 I am unable to check the option when displayed in the app.

I should note that this is not the case in Chrome on the same phone using the externally accessible Nabu Casa address and it wasnā€™t an issue when setting this phone up with the HA app in October.
Iā€™ve also tested with and without the ā€œAutomatically Close Connectionsā€ user configuration option on and off, which makes no apparent difference - it feels rather like the touch is not recognised within the app.

Have I missed something in the release notes that would explain this?

Any pointers would be appreciated.

github: Sign in to GitHub Ā· GitHub

Make sure to fill out the issue template and be specific with the request.

this appears to be a front end bug, please open an issue in this repo: Sign in to GitHub Ā· GitHub

Thanks - raised as Picture-Elements card with live camera view: "Preload stream" option cannot be changed in Android (browser or official app) Ā· Issue #7691 Ā· home-assistant/frontend Ā· GitHub

It has been done: