Home Assistant Companion Apps: New and Upcoming Features

You either need mobile_app or default_config in configuration.yaml
Default_config is probably there… by… default…

Yes default config is there, so you think i need to delete the app from the iPhone and reinstall it

Is there more information on what provider(s)? I trust Google a whole lot more than a lot of external providers out there. Not like they don’t already know everything about me anyway.

Android 5.1 is the minimum required version

will get it fixed, thanks for pointing it out

Thanks for the info. Interestingly, I have Android 6, and a few weeks ago it said “… isn’t compatible with any of your devices”. Seems something was changed, so I’ll be happy to try again (on a OnePlus One, still a good work horse ;-)).

OT question: Would this make my Owntracks obsolete (i.e. transmit GPS data)?

Are you running a custom ROM on your device or stock? It should show that it is available for that device. If it doesn’t have a custom ROM and it is stock and it is android 6 then please open a github issue so we can look into it.

in terms of making owntracks obsolete, thats up to your own use case. Only you can decide that. The tracking works well for some but not all.

And how about making it so we can connect to HA from the mobile app without opening any ingress port on our firewalls? Or at least make the notifications work without punching a hole…

Nope, all good now! Using stock Android, and shows available. Installed it and really happy now, the user experience is better than with the web page, location updates and notifications work well. Great that it works with the older devices (now)!

I only wonder if “home-assistant.io/android” now knows my username and password …

Thats more for the app to setup with onboarding, if you notice that redirects to the companion docs. iOS has a similar onboarding link I think?

Fantastic news all round. Well done!

1 Like

Re Owntracks: Looks like it could make it obsolete for normal users, since it seems to deliver even more data and creates its own device tracker and multiple sensors.

Now since I mainly use MQTT as a central broker (and had Owntracks use secure MQTT) and even use several MQTT bridges around the world, I’ll leave both running for a while and check on stability and update frequency. If all goes well, I might decide to get rid of Owntracks on the phones and use some automation to push the data from the mobile app back to MQTT (so they are in the “central store” and can get bridged).

I only hope the more and more ridiculous and overly aggressive non-standard “battery saving” mechanisms some vendors introduce don’t break background operation (like with Owntracks on the Samsung Galaxy S10, for example).

I just use my nabu casa url.

1 Like

I sign out of the app (reset), remove the Mobile App integration by deleting all iOS devices and then restart HA before signing in again with the app.

The iOS beta is open again now too BTW… however if you don’t have ios in config you will get a 404 error at the moment. Robbie says there will be a new build shortly that will correct this. (maybe today). I just added ios: for now anyway. (Note you will be logged out if you load the beta and you will need to remove mobile app as well)

Also… check the notification settings in the app… they will be off by default in the beta. Once you enable them restart HA again…

Great news over there, thank you!

Really waiting for crucial update on apps - using more than 1 home assistant. I think it is an important feature. Will we see it in near future?

1 Like

Thanks a lot!

Finally :tada:

Sad thing is that people asking for this in the past on github (it was probably the most requested feature ever) where not only blamed for double posting issues (the original ones where always locked for “spam”, “heated” or whatever obscure reason) but no - some users also got entirely blocked from participating on the home assistant github (including reporting bugs, etc.)

I think it would be a good time to unblock github users who asked for a privacy respecting version of the app - because actually there was no reason to block them at all :warning:

Another weird thing is that even last week @balloob closed issues on this topic stating

As you did see the other issues, you know we do not want this part of the app.

and now it just happens? :thinking:

Communication is :old_key:

4 Likes

Thank you all for this.

I hope that Android receive now same love as iOS.

For example it will be great to have BT sensors next to WiFi sensor. Why? Because it will be possible to send position when BT is connected to the car BT (and save it as parking position).

What about watchOS update? Settings of HA complication is big pain for watchOS user. Please improve watchOS sync…

I hope that in future we can have separate threads for this type of blog post for the separate versions (android cf ios). It quickly becomes confusing.

I hope that in the future will be no differences between android vs ios features.