Home Assistant Controls for Tasmota: hct

Hello again! I’ve just released my first Tasmota Berry Script project to GitHub. Check it out!

Home Assistant Controls for Tasmota

:warning: hct is no longer being maintained as it has been replaced by haco.

This is a Tasmota Berry Script library (so requires Tasmota32) to greatly simplify the process of exposing Home Assistant controls (e.g. Pull-down Lists, Number Sliders, Sensors, etc.) from a Tasmota device - and handling the communication between both sides.

Using hct to expose, for example, a “Restart Tasmota” button to Home Assistant is as simple as adding the following lines to your autoexec.be:

import hct

hct.Button(        
    'Restart Tasmota',
    nil,
    'mdi:restart',
    hct.CallbackIn(/value->tasmota.cmd("restart 1"))
)

A fully functional restart button will now appear associated with the device in Home Assistant:

Or, more practically, a cookbook pull-down menu, for a Tuya air fryer, might look like this:

food_data=hct.MapData({'Default':0, 'Fries':1,'Shrimp':2,'Pizza':3,'Chicken':4,'Fish':5,'Steak':6,'Cake':7,'Bacon':8,'Preheat':9,'Custom':10})

hct.Select(   
    'Cookbook',
    food_data.keys,
    nil,
    'mdi:chef-hat',
    [
        hct.CallbackOut(
            'tuyareceived#dptype4id3',
            /value->food_data.out.find(value,'Default')
        ),
        hct.CallbackIn(
            /value->hct.tuya_send(4,3,food_data.in.find(value,0))
    )
    ]
)

For a full walk-through of configuring the cookbook entity, see the Walkthrough Example below.

Do I Need This? Can’t I Do this with Native Tasmota?

You certainly can.

But in my experience, the process is so fiddly, error-prone and hard to maintain that it’s enough to
deter the casual user (as I am) entirely. Plus, sharing your configuration, once you’ve finally got it working, can mean complex step-by-step guides, setting up triggers, finding MAC addresses and topics (in Tasmota) - and numerous Blueprints, Helpers and Templates (on the Home Assistant side).

You can see how much work creating such guides involves by seeing how it was heroically undertaken by Blakadder, as compared with the full hct-based equivalent.

With hct, on the other hand, the thorny parts of the initial setup are abstracted away and your final configuration can often be shared via a one-liner, or failing that a single script. Below is a list of some of the tasks that hct handles for you:

• Announcing the entity via MQTT to Home Assistant
  • Generating MQTT/HA-friendly unique IDs
  • Associating the entity with its parent device
  • Subscribing and publishing to the relevant MQTT topics
  • Managing the relevant Tasmota rules
  • Appropriate serialization of data
  • Translating Home Assistant messages to their to appropriate Berry data types, and vice versa

Pre-Release

:warning: This library is currently in a pre-release state. The configuration format (and perhaps even the library name) is likely to change, and only Sensor, Select, Button, Number, BinarySensor, Switch, Text, Update, Fan and Climate entities are currently implemented.

Installing

Simply paste the following into your Tasmota Berry Script Console:

tasmota.urlfetch('https://raw.githubusercontent.com/fmtr/hct/release/hct.be','/hct.be')

Alternatively, manually download hct.be and upload it onto your device.

Example Walkthrough

This walk-through is a real-world case of implementing the cookbook pull-down menu for a Proscenic T21 air fryer. It handles defining a friendly pull-down list of food types on the Home Assistant side and mapping those values to the corresponding IDs required by the Tuya driver on the Tasmota side.

Frist we import this library.

import hct

Next we specify the options to show in our pull-down. We can use a MapData object, which will create incoming/outgoing (i.e. incoming from Home Assistant, outgoing from Tasmota) mappings for use in any callbacks we write. So this is a mapping from strings to integers.

food_data=hct.MapData({'Default':0, 'Fries':1,'Shrimp':2,'Pizza':3,'Chicken':4,'Fish':5,'Steak':6,'Cake':7,'Bacon':8,'Preheat':9,'Custom':10})

Then we write a very simple callback closure to set those Tuya IDs (the value argument) on the Tasmota side, when their names are selected in Home Assistant. This again uses an hct utility function, tuya_send, to send the value.

set_cookbook_entry=/value->hct.tuya_send(4,3,food_data.in.find(value,0))

Now we specify a trigger, for when a change has happened on the Tasmota side (e.g. a button pressed on the air fryer), along with a callback to handle that trigger. The output of the callback will be reflected in Home Assistant, so we just translate the Tuya ID back the “friendly” name HA uses.

trigger='tuyareceived#dptype4id3'
report_cookbook_entry=/value->food_data.out.find(value,'Default')

With that done, we need to wrap our callback functions in CallbackIn/CallbackOut objects, which tell hct which direction (In or Out) each callback is intended for, associate the trigger with the outgoing callback, etc.

callbacks=[
    hct.CallbackIn(set_cookbook_entry),
    hct.CallbackOut(trigger,report_cookbook_entry)    
]

With that all done, we can define a pull-down (hct.Select) object.

hct.Select(   
    'Cookbook',         # Name
    food_data.keys,     # List of values (i.e. the strings from our `MapData` object)
    nil,                # Entity ID (we can leave `nil` to let Home Assistant decide
    'mdi:chef-hat',     # Icon ID
    callbacks           # Our list of callbacks we defined above.
) 

And that’s it. The new Select control will appear in Home Assistant, associated with the air fryer device. In other words, hct will handle everything else mentioned above - and sharing what you’ve done just means sharing the above script.

For the rest of the air fryer setup (which includes defining more entity types) see its setup script - and further examples can be found in the examples directory.

Hi guys.

I’ve just released v0.2 of hct. It now supports exposing more complex objects (e.g. Updaters, Fan, Climate/HVAC, etc.) from a Tasmota device.

Check it out!

1 Like

Love it ! Great work!

1 Like