Home Assistant Core crashed my server

Help. Bit of a novice here. Bought an HP machine that was already formatted as HA server with os onboard. Upgraded HAC today and now server cannot be found via app or browser. Have done three hard reboots. I have a backup on Google Drive, but don’t know how to use it if I can’t talk to the server.

Any help greatly appreciated as most of the house was migrated to this and was awesome!

Start by hooking up a monitor to see what’s going on.

I would never use a used PC with previous OS installed. Always wipe and replace. You never know what minor changes may have been made and honestly will save time.

Also. Is this HAOS or HA Core? It almost sound like you using HaOS.

Thanks! I think it was HAOS. It was the only OS on the machine. Installed the app, it searched the network and found it quickly. Never had to touch it so not sure. Worked amazingly well for about 5 months and then today bricked it.

Wasn’t sure if HAOS was an OS that supported peripherals, etc. Dumb, I know, but it has always been a headless server for me. I’ll bring it to my docking station and see what I can find.

Did one last reboot and somehow it fixed this issue… Strange in that it’s never given me a lick of trouble until today’s update.

Hey there. Sorry, summer got in the way. Yes, this was a clean install of HaOS. Still having issue of crashing. Strangest thing. Nothing changed since last monthly update…

Tell us a little more about your environment. :slight_smile: Eg. what’s that HP machine? Is it an old laptop, a Mini-PC? And what’s inside, RAM, SDD (or other storage), all these things. :slight_smile:

As you don’t know, how this machine was setup, I’d suggest you do a fresh install and restore your recent backup. :slight_smile: That way you can avoid any problems, that might came with the previous install (where you don’t know anything about).

Here’s the link to the documentation on how to install HA-OS on a bare metal PC:

After that install, you could restore your backup while the first boot of HA-OS.

On the other hand, it might be worth investigating, what the problem is. Are you sure, your installation isn’t running? If you can’t reach your host, there could be a connection or IP address problem, but the host would still be running…

1 Like

Thank you very much for this - and for tolerating my uneducated questions! This sounds like a good plan.

Yes, can confirm it does not boot. My router does not find it, nor do my Zigbee or BT dongles light up. I saw somewhere else that doing a hard reboot 4-5 times seems to heal the issue, and that works for me, but I don’t know why…

As for computer it’s an HP T620 with 16gb RAM and 128GB HD. Have checked resource usage in HA and it never seems to ever come close to taxing it.

Thanks again!

1 Like

No need to apologize, we’re all here to help! :slight_smile:

That sounds strange, as the dongles should be at least lit up…? No light whatsoever would mean, the dongles don’t get power from the USB sockets…

However, I’d still do a fresh install of HA-OS and restore a recent backup. Normally I wouldn’t insist, but in your case it might be a good idea, to setup a monitor while installing. That could give some insights.

The ressources should be more than enough, I’m running my (not small) HA installation in a virtual machine with 4GB RAM and 64GB storage, using only 2 cores of the processor. My question was more in regard to what we’re dealing with physically.

Let us know, how you move along! :slight_smile:

1 Like

So I finally got around to doing this last night. Was nowhere near as daunting as I thought it would be! System definitely more responsive and the August update came through without an issue. No clue how it got corrupted.

I have a ton of Hue in the house (from pre HA days, I know…), and now about 15 zigbee covers. I kept getting a channel 15 is at 99% error, so I decided to take the opportunity to change my covers to channel 25 and re-pair them. That’s turning into a bit of a nightmare, but that’s another story for a different sub.

Thanks all!!

1 Like