Home assistant core without venv?

Hello I’m looking for a way to install HomeAssistant Core without venv. I’m trying to conserve space as much as possible. I tried to just use ‘pip install homeassistant’, but it would throw an error

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/home/user/.local/bin/./hass", line 5, in <module>
    from homeassistant.__main__ import main
ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'homeassistant'

Any ideas for a light weight home assistant install or a way to fix this error?

If you are going to install no other Python tools at all then you can get away without a venv. However your space gains are going to be trivial and you’ll going to have an install that:

• Can be broken by simply installing any Python package/program
  • Is unsupported, and unsupportable

Whatever tiny gains you make aren’t worth it.

I’m not planning on adding any other packages. Even if the gain are minuscule I would still like to try running it without a venv. But I just can’t get it to run its either the error above or a permission error

./hass

/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/pkg_resources/__init__.py:116: PkgResourcesDeprecationWarning: 0.1.43ubuntu1 is an invalid version and will not be supported in a future release

warnings.warn(

/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/pkg_resources/__init__.py:116: PkgResourcesDeprecationWarning: 1.1build1 is an invalid version and will not be supported in a future release

warnings.warn(

2022-04-29 12:50:34 ERROR (SyncWorker_0) [homeassistant.util.package] Unable to install package pyotp==2.6.0: ERROR: Could not install packages due to an OSError: [Errno 13] Permission denied: '/lib/python3.10/site-packages'

Check the permissions.

2022-04-29 12:50:35 ERROR (SyncWorker_1) [homeassistant.util.package] Unable to install package pyotp==2.6.0: ERROR: Could not install packages due to an OSError: [Errno 13] Permission denied: '/lib/python3.10/site-packages'

Check the permissions.

2022-04-29 12:50:36 ERROR (SyncWorker_0) [homeassistant.util.package] Unable to install package pyotp==2.6.0: ERROR: Could not install packages due to an OSError: [Errno 13] Permission denied: '/lib/python3.10/site-packages'

Check the permissions.

2022-04-29 12:50:36 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.bootstrap] Home Assistant core failed to initialize. Further initialization aborted

2022-04-29 12:50:36 WARNING (MainThread) [homeassistant.bootstrap] Unable to set up core integrations. Activating safe mode

2022-04-29 12:50:36 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.bootstrap] Home Assistant core failed to initialize. Further initialization aborted

Permissions would point to a need to run HA as root