Home Assistant Core won't update

Hi all.
My system details are below:
I’m running Home Assistant on a Raspberry Pi 3B+, if that’s of any significance.
For a while now, HA Core has been refusing to update. As of writing, the latest current update is to 11.1, but whenever I try to update it, it restarts and is on exactly the same version as before (10.3). There’s never anything relevant in the logs after it restarts either.
If anybody is able to provide any helpful pointers, it’d be much appreciated. Thanks! :slight_smile:

Check you have enough diskspace and check disk for corrupt disk sectors.

1 Like

Thanks! I certainly should have enough diskspace:
But I’m unsure how to check for corruption. How could I do this?

P.S. I forgot to mention that other components (HASSOS, Supervisor, Addons, HACS Integrations) have been updating perfectly in this time - it’s only Core I’m having an issue with.

Most likely not a disk related issue. Core not updating something to do with the Docker container.

Try to reboot the system and then try to update core. If you have Advanced SSH & Web Terminal installed try a CLI upgrade of core: ha core update

Just tried both of those - still no luck :frowning:

Have you tried the CLI commands: core check, info, logs, rebuild, stats. Can you share some of the output. Try the rebuild command, then try to update.

ha core info gave this output:

~ # ha core info
arch: aarch64
audio_input: null
audio_output: null
backups_exclude_database: false
boot: true
image: Package raspberrypi3-64-homeassistant · GitHub
ip_address: 172.30.32.1
machine: raspberrypi3-64
port: 8123
ssl: false
update_available: true
version: 2023.10.3
version_latest: 2023.11.1
watchdog: true

ha core stats gave this output:

~ # ha core stats
blk_read: 0
blk_write: 0
cpu_percent: 3.99
memory_limit: 953417728
memory_percent: 38.13
memory_usage: 363552768
network_rx: 0
network_tx: 0

ha core logs just gave a bunch of errors about not being able to reach my camera because it’s unplugged, and warnings that my automation for turning on my hallways lights using motion sensors was triggered when already running.

ha core rebuild gave this output:

~ # ha core rebuild
Processing… Done.

Command completed successfully.

Unfortunately, running ha core check crashed and rebooted the Pi.

EDIT:
ha core update has finally finished, and gave this output:

~ # ha core update
Processing… Done.

Post “http://supervisor/core/update”: context deadline exceeded (Client.Timeout exceeded while awaiting headers)

This seems to be a timeout issue, which you cannot overcome. It might be a good idea to post it as a bug and let a developer check if they are willing or can fix the issue. Your system is too slow.

I suggest you move away from RPi3 or any RPi for that matter. You can now buy x86-64 SBCs for $100 and get peace of mind in every computing aspect compared to RPi.

Yes, that is my long-term plan - to get a better device to run it on, or possibly official hardware (yellow or green or any other future device). However, for reasons unknown to me, Core is now reporting version 2023.11.1. I don’t know why, or when it updated, but it is now running the latest version, so I’ll leave it at that and hope it stays up-to-date.
Thanks for all your help though :slight_smile:

Just in case you run into this again, I ran into the same problem. I read the timeout issue post and immediately remembered I had put my pi under nordvpn in my router. I turned the vpn off for it and it worked to update immediately.

Thanks! Unfortunately I don’t have a network-wide VPN, so this wouldn’t be my issue, but I’m glad it worked for you :slight_smile:

There are also many other SBCs besides Raspberry Pi out there, since years now (in fact, the yellow/green are based off some of those same SoCs).

Not picking on you, Habitats Tech. This is just a bit of a peeve of mine, it always seems to be presented as a (IMO, false) binary of “RPi or x86”. :slight_smile:

There are options, but what is the fastest way to get HA up an running, BM or VM? Nothing yet beats the x86 platform for general purpose computing versatility, cost, options and routes to deployment.

If this is your main/only criteria, then yes, one of more well supported options will be better. However if we are going by this criteria, purchasing a ready to go device (yellow/green) probably beats even x86.

No argument on x86 general purpose versatility. This is where x86 really (still) shines, as it has been around forever and thus very well standardized and supported. However ARM devices have caught up a lot in the last years. I rarely come across something I want to run which is not available on ARM these days.

And I’ll grant you that it can be a bit fiddly at times, and you need to spend some time educating yourself before diving into the (especially, non-RPi) world of SBCs.

However I’m not sure I agree about cost. Besides the initial purchase price (many SBC can be found quite cheaply), most off those SBC are very power efficient (being based mostly on ARM and similar reduced instruction sets). Which is always good for something that’s going to be running all the time.

Then there are the Intel Management Engine (IME) shenanigans (and AMD equivalent), which I found so obnoxious as to put me off of (modern) x86 completely.

Finally, SBC come in a wide array of specifications and form factors, some quite interesting indeed.

Fascinating little devices! But definitely not for the ‘I just want it to work as easy and fast as possible’ crowd (although interestingly, some of actual ‘easiest’ devices (yellow/green, etc.) are based on these very same boards/SoCs).

I had issues both core update and HA os update on rpi4 with slow internet connection. Connecting pi4 to faster home router all goes like charm. Smaller updatse like ESPhome & devices works with slow connection.