Home Assistant does not track switch state

Hi,

my current configuation worked just fine with HA<0.38. Upgrading to 0.38 brings some problems with it.
The states of my Z-Wave switches are not updated anymore. For example I can turn on a switch that is currently turned off. The light goes on and the switch state should be on in HA. But it goes right back to off. So I can not turn the switch off again. Does anybody has a similar problem?

Any errors in the log?

No, not errors but missing entries. I would expect a log-line like:

Feb 13 16:27:36 hac hass[1233]: INFO:homeassistant.core:Bus:Handling <Event state_changed[L]: old_state=<state switch.fibar…

but exactly this state_changed event is missed in my described case.

I’ve been experiencing issues where HASS does not properly track the state of Zwave lights that it turns off. I added my notes here:

Hi ih8gates. Are you using the sqlite3 as database or one of the other possibilities?

Sqllite (or whatever the default non-MySQL option is).

Ok. I thought there might be a connection between the observed behaviour and the database backend, as states are stored there. But I just tested it myself and I can see a similar behaviour with sqlite and mysql as backend. Even though it seems to be a bit more reliable with sqlite (but this might be a furtunate coincidence).

Looks like we have the same issue and amiss of logging
(Switches not sending power-state (neither actively, nor polling)

Good news: The issue that I had opened regarding this has been closed per this PR. Looks like we should see this issue resolving within the next update or two.
https://github.com/home-assistant/home-assistant/pull/5961

Looking forward to it!

I am still experiencing the problem. I traced down the problem to my config:

I am using HASS behind a nginx as a reverse proxy. The config that is in place follows the example which can be found in the official docs. With this setup I am experiencing problems with the frontend. When switching devices on (e.g. ZWave switch), the switch slides to on and falls back to off again but the actual switch (hardware) is on.
Connecting to the HASS instance directly, it works. So the problem is somewhere between browser, nginx and HASS.
I think the websocket communication might be the point where something is going wrong.

Anyone with similar problems?

Have you figured out a solution to this issue? I’m having the same problem and it’s with my regular GE switches not just the dimmers. My state data is always stale and does not refresh unless I restart the HA server. As a note, all my GE switches and dimmers are Zwave Plus with Instant Status support. So the state data should be realtime.