Home Assistant Down Weekly

Back in October I switched my raspberrypi4 to boot from usb due to a micro sd failure. Now my house responds to events a lot quicker but I noticed about once a week starting about a month ago the system is down. Any suggestions to check this? I’m running HA purely from my raspberrypi4 so I can’t ssh into while HA is running. To resolve the issue I’ve been powering it off then back on just for the same thing to happen a week later.
Here are my logs on boot

I have a few dead zwave nodes that aren’t being used and not sure about the other errors.

Hi,

I had a similar issue, when switching from SD card to SSD connected via USB. The system crashed every few days. I did not really find a solution, but I found out, that it only happens when the SSD is connected to a USB 3.0 port of the raspberrypi. Since I connected it to a USB 2.0 port instead, the system runs stable (for over a month now). Its not ideal, because 2.0 is slower than 3.0, but still faster than the SD card.

I think, it could be the power consumption of the drive. Maybe the drive needs more power in full speed mode, so that the pi has fails due to too less power available. But I’m not really sure about that, just a guess. My SSD drive has no extra power cable, so it is supplied with power from the pi.

tobi-bo is right. USB 2/0 is more stable for now, and a cable with external power is highly recommended

usb

Thanks! Do you have a link you recommend to go along with the photo?

Here is a good article with lots of compatible and incompatible adapters:

Unfortunately, I found this list after I bought mine…
1 Like

Strange, I remember that list and I purchased the one at the top.

StarTech.com SATA to USB Cable - USB 3.0 to 2.5” SATA III Hard Drive Adapter - External Converter for SSD/HDD Data Transfer (USB3S2SAT3CB) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HJZJI84/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_N3907DYZFBMMGEZ2W6S1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

But I need to get a different one that can connect to power and is usb 2.0?

I ended up buying this

Powered USB Hub, BYEASY Aluminum USB 3.0 Hub 4 Ports with Power Adapter and 1 BC 1.2 Charging Port, Ultra Slim USB Splitter for iMac Pro, MacBook Air/Mini, PS4, Surface Pro, Notebook PC, Laptop, HDD https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07M91R8PN/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_Z47E21X9KBZ3PSSV1XK3

Yeah, that’s strange.
You can use every 3.0 Adapter at the 2.0 port of the pi. So, you can try to use your adapter at one of these ports first, marked here with USB2:

Maybe a powered USB hub is the best choice…

or if you have an enclosure maybe this:

but I think you can find it in any local hardware store…

Will I still need this with the powered usb hub?

Check out Github issue 1119.
https://github.com/home-assistant/operating-system/issues/1119
I have similar issues if I use any OS above 5.4. there is a spreadsheet there showing different hardware and configuration. Most are using the “compatible” controllers.

I use that cable plugged in pi, but in both USB 2.0 port, but the charger must be a good one 2.5 - 3Amp

a mi justamente me pasa algo parecido.Ya van 7 semanas seguidas. Sobre las 1;30 o 2;30 de la madrugada de domingo a lunes , la rasp deja de funcionar.A la mañana siguiente ,con un reinicio es suficiente. No tengo nada programado ni nada raro a esas horas.Alguien me podria ayudar. Gracias

Sounds like similar problem with the power supply

With my powered usb hub
Powered USB Hub, BYEASY Aluminum USB 3.0 Hub 4 Ports with Power Adapter and 1 BC 1.2 Charging Port, Ultra Slim USB Splitter for iMac Pro, MacBook Air/Mini, PS4, Surface Pro, Notebook PC, Laptop, HDD https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07M91R8PN/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_QTBS0TPX5A92R30QWEXK?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Should I power the hub and plug the usb sata into the powered USB port?

All zwave devices are unresponsive. Does the powered usb hub effect zwave?

On a related note, can you add both a Zigbee and Zwave dongle to the same powered hub (thus the same USB port on the Pi), or do they have to be on separate USB ports on the Pi?

yes you can (I am)

Is the problem that we just can’t use the 3.0 ports for this, or would it be ok in a 3.0 port with a powered hub?

I’m was having similar issues.

EDIT: Grammar.

That is correct: